Mitsubishi Magna??.......

JaseandAnne

Hi,

We are due to fly out to Perth in March and Ive been looking at cars for sale, Gumtree seems to be the place to look. I know my way around a car (should do Im a mechanic) and have a bit of passion for the Jap stuff. We don't want to spend loads on a car to start with and Ive noticed that the Mitsubishi Magna seems to be fairly cheap large family car. We don't have them in the UK so I was wondering are they cheap because they just aren't popular or because they suffer with loads of problems?

I saw an estate version with 200K, 3,5 litre 2001 for just under $2K.

Anybody any experience or thoughts?

Jase

Thanks for replys guys, I have looked a lot and there are cheap cars, they tend to be the older and less popular models but still perfectly usable.

VERYSTORMY your Hyundai Getz would probs be around the £1000 mark in the UK as the Korean car Market has only in last 10 years started to become popular, prior to that they were considered crap with models like the Hyundai Stella (revamped Cortina/sierra if my memory serves me) and the Kia Pride (good little car but looked like a childs shoe!!). Their parts seem to be extortionate here too, a friend of mine had a Kia Rio 2003 and I fitted rear shoes for him. They were only available from Kia and were £90!!! Compared to a European or jap car at around £30.

I have noticed though that there are a lot of variants of the Holden Commodore and the bigger one (name escapes me) but in the UK these were Vauxhall Carltons and Senators and did not survive for one reason or another. I can only assume they must be better built in Oz?? But it still puts me off looking at them (other than the V8 one!!)

I will continue my search for the ultra reliable, cheap to buy, white elephant and I'll be back with more "what about this questions" :laugh:

Jase

Hi,

We are due to fly out to Perth in March and Ive been looking at cars for sale, Gumtree seems to be the place to look. I know my way around a car (should do Im a mechanic) and have a bit of passion for the Jap stuff. We don't want to spend loads on a car to start with and Ive noticed that the Mitsubishi Magna seems to be fairly cheap large family car. We don't have them in the UK so I was wondering are they cheap because they just aren't popular or because they suffer with loads of problems?

I saw an estate version with 200K, 3,5 litre 2001 for just under $2K.

Anybody any experience or thoughts?

Jase

I've driven one as a hire car. Nice car. Nothing to get excited about, but nothing to worry about that I'm aware of.

Like you I enjoy my cars, and since moving out here, have run both local foreign cars. Gumtree is definitely the place to go for a variety of cars. I tend to filter on the below $2K, and there's loads of choice. I'm running a 1996 Mazda Bravo ute, which I brought for the great sum of $850 needing a head gasket. 2 years later, 4 tyres and an annual service, its still going strong, in fact yesterday I drove 400K towing a trailer picking up cars and it didn't miss a beat.

You always then have the Falcon vs Commodore option. I wert of a 1997 Falcon, with 4 litre straight 6. Fantastic cruising car, especially here in WA, where things are so spread out. apart from fuel consumption, and a coil that failed, we had that for 2 years, again a $2k car. Only sold it because we didn't need the size.

It really depends on what you want, a big car go for something local, but if you want a small hatchback, then there is nothing local, but loads of Japanese makes that are available.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

The Magna is popular and one of the old 'big 4' (Commodore, Falcon, Camry, Magna). The last two really didn't hold their value compared. Small engines & FWD was a turn off for many. The newest Magna will now be ~10 years old.

The Commodore is about 2 generations on from the Senators of old. In 2006 the 'VE' came out, under a whole new platform and was Australia's first 'billion dollar car'.

The VF has been out a while now (It's really a VE with extras).

Popular cars are now the Corolla, Mazda 3 .. and the Hilux. The first two are too small for me.

The Magna is popular and one of the old 'big 4' (Commodore, Falcon, Camry, Magna). The last two really didn't hold their value compared. Small engines & FWD was a turn off for many. The newest Magna will now be ~10 years old.

The Commodore is about 2 generations on from the Senators of old. In 2006 the 'VE' came out, under a whole new platform and was Australia's first 'billion dollar car'.

The VF has been out a while now (It's really a VE with extras).

Popular cars are now the Corolla, Mazda 3 .. and the Hilux. The first two are too small for me.

Gumtree is the cheapest to find a car. It's good to compare the prices on Carsales.com.au.

Hi

There not actually a particularly large car. 5 door or estate perhaps but not the same size as something like a Ford Mondeo. Smaller! You see a few of them but the more common car here is Holden (Vauxhal) or Toyota, they have showrooms everywhere. I think the Magnas' plus point is that its usually relatively cheap second hand. Don't know much more about them really.

Personally I opted for an old Honda CRV when I first arrived. It might be old but we've never had any problems with it and it has heaps of room and boot space. We since upgraded to a second car, a Ford Focus.

Also, try carsales.com.au it does exist here but this is the equivalent of autotrader.

Edited by Anthony

• 6 months later...