Single guy looking to start a new life chapter.

Mark6

Cheers Scott. Yeah I know it's not going to be a overnight thing. Just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as myself doing it alone. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Also any advice from anyone who has made or making the move would be most welcome.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by Mark6

That sounds like you are a 'proper' engineer (my husband is called 'engineer' for his job but in practice he is essentially a mechanic) - as I understand it they are serious about their engineers in Oz (info that was coming up on other forums some years ago when the subject arose) so that would be good news. I presume you've already checked http://www.immi.gov.au for details of the demand list and to check what kind of visa you can get. And the job sites like http://www.seek.com.au to check the job picture for your role.

We're not there just yet but one of the reasons we chose Perth is for the chilled out family friendly vibe (not busy,busy activity-filled 'city' living) - lifestyle is of course worth bearing in mind and as a single guy in your mid 30s you might have different ideas of fun to us.

Good luck!

Thanks monkey2645. I have l looked on both and I am lookin to go through the PR visa route. I am applying for jobs on seek as there seems to be quite a few interesting jobs in Perth. Maybe like some places it's not what you know but who. I'm looking for a relaxed laid back atmosphere and lifestyle love my sports and a few beers. My idea of "fun" is a laugh and good conversation with friends. Hoping I can make new ones in Perth.

Hi Mark and welcome from a fellow Teesider.

The cost of a 189 visa is $3600 for a single person. On top of that you will need your skills assessing. That varies by occupation, but factor in 500 to 1000 pounds. Then a medical at another few hundred and a police check which is only in the tens of pounds. Most people find they need to do an English test in order to get more points. This will cost a few hundred for 1 test. Do factor in not everyone passes in one go! If you chose to use a migration agent to help you with the visa, the fee will vary a bit, but I would budget 2k. Though it could be a lot less

Then flight and you will need to decide how much of your personal belongings you want to bring. A shipping container of furnishings is about $7k. A move cube or a dozen boxes about $3k. Remember when planning this that furnished accommodation for long term use is not common in Australia.

Other costs include living costs for when you arrive - you need to factor in enough to live on with no earnings for at least 3 months and ideally 6 months while you settle in and find a job.

A last bit of advice. A number of engineering occupations are flagged at the moment for potential removal from the SOL list. The list is amended on the 1st July each year. That might seem a long time away, but, you need to allow at least 3 months for an invite after you submit the eoi. So, I recommend if you want to follow this, then you act sooner rather than later

Thanks verystormy that's great help.

Teesside is not in good shape at the moment with the closure of the steelworks. I'm in the process of starting the visa process just weighing up if I use a migration agent or do it myself. House up for sale. I was ideally hoping to get a job sorted prior to coming out but I know that this may be just wish full thinking.

UTB!

Yeah, I know about the closure. Very sad. My dad used to work there and his dad before him.

Personally, I am a fan of agents. I have been around on here and PIO for long enough to realise they can be worth there wait in gold. I have seen so many people make a simple mistake in the application that has resulted in a refusal and loss of the fee.

One thing I suggest you do is research carefully the availability of jobs in your sector - some sectors are seriously struggling here at the moment.

I'll go a different route to the others in advice.

Get on internet dating as soon as you get here.

Get an apartment close to the city, so you can use public transport/taxi/uber to get home and don't have to worry about gardening.

Buy a Merc or BMW, people think they are flash.

Get into an outdoor activity, join a gym.

Find the local trendy bars, talk to everyone.

I say this as a recently separated man, a few years older (38).

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark, I did it without an agent. It's really complicated and I suggest you get one. By a careless DIY application, i got a negative skills assessment the 1st time, twice did a health declaration in immi account and submitted 3 eois at the same time.. So, getting an agent is totally worth it.. Anyways, good luck, I'm 5 years younger and also a single guy moving to Perth alone..

Edited by se29m
typo

My husband is a metal fabricator and we used an agent for the skills assessment and then we did the rest without. We were very lucky and had no issues it all went really smoothly and quickly! However an agent is worth the money for peace of mind.

Any questions please feel free to ask, we've been looking to go to Australia for 8years so have learnt a lot!