rights to education

Tab

I am still trying to work out how best to get my 3 British adopted children to Australia. I am a citizen if I brought them out on a years tourist visa and immediately applied for them to stay would that entitle them to education. On the dept of education website it states that children of Australian citizens have a right to free education. However my children wouldn't have residency initially and school websites appear to ask got proof of children's residency. Thanks 

If your adopted children are on a tourist visa, they have no rights to government provided education.   The private sector is another matter and I have heard of people paying extortionate fees to private schools just so their children can attend.

Another avenue could be a student visa.   I understand there are visa sub-categories for students under tertiary age, but you would have to pay international fees, which can be prohibitive.

I strongly suggest that you consult a Registered Migration Agent.   Camilla from New Life Downunder is an RMA based in Perth and she posts advice often on this forum.   She might be of help to you.

Thanks for the reply I will try camilla as no one over here seems to be able to give me an answer.  The tourist visa does allow study for 3 months and if children of citizens are entitled to free education as stated on education dept w.a site  then that might be a possibility while applying on shore. Just very cross really I don't think of my children as any different from birth children and for them to be treated differently when the law of Australia gives adopted children same legal rights as biological children is frankly discriminatory. 

2 minutes ago, Tab said:

Thanks for the reply I will try camilla as no one over here seems to be able to give me an answer.  The tourist visa does allow study for 3 months and if children of citizens are entitled to free education as stated on education dept w.a site  then that might be a possibility while applying on shore. Just very cross really I don't think of my children as any different from birth children and for them to be treated differently when the law of Australia gives adopted children same legal rights as biological children is frankly discriminatory. 

I sense your frustration - but I think it's good to remember that the forum members aren't migration experts nor experts in children's law.  The link I've provided, suggests that you can apply for citizenship for your children   It's not that expensive at $235 for the first child and $95 for subsequent children and seems a clear cut route and will provide access to education without any difficulty. 

Thanks Ali that's not the route you have to take it's called an ex pat adoption visa which is over 2000 dollars per child. Realise its just a forum just going over a million options in my mind. Thanks so much for help. 

Just now, Tab said:

Thanks Ali that's not the route you have to take it's called an ex pat adoption visa which is over 2000 dollars per child. Realise its just a forum just going over a million options in my mind. Thanks so much for help. 

No problem - I see you have an active thread on our sister site Poms in Oz.