SPONSOR FORM 40SP QUESTION

aussiebird2012

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can advise please:

There is a question on this form which asks if nationality/citizenship of another country other than Australia?

My English parents left Australia in November 1981 to move back to UK with my 2 brothers (who are English) and myself (born in Australia) but I have no idea how or if I became a British Citizen when we left Australia and arrived in the UK, or if I obtained it by descent from my parents?

The form is asking for dates and how aquired but I have no idea?

Has anyone been in this situation and can you help me please? 

Thank you in advance. Xx

Do you have a British Passport? Do you vote? (which would suggest you are a citizen).

A quick google of 'how do I check if I have British citizenship by decent' - took me www.gov.uk website.  It may be worth exploring that and i'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

13 hours ago, ali said:

Do you have a British Passport? Do you vote? (which would suggest you are a citizen).

A quick google of 'how do I check if I have British citizenship by decent' - took me www.gov.uk website.  It may be worth exploring that and i'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi Ali,

Yes I have a British passport.  I too have checked that website and I think I got British citizenship automatically when I was born to my British parents. 

Have a google as I think there is a website where you can find out for sure if you have British Citizenship and how you acquired it.   The rules/laws have changed so much over the years, and although you probably acquired it because you were born of British parents, there could be other things that come into play.