Looking for work - working holiday visa already in Perth

Stuart

Hi, I have just arrived in Perth and looking for work.  I am a UK qualified plumber and have worked with kids (Camp America, Skate Parks, Outdoor Adventure).

I need to find work quickly as I am self funded. I understand to use my plumbing skills I need to get a white card and registration.

I just need someone to give me a chance to earn. In return I am loyal, trustworthy and reliable.

I have a place to stay, bank account, tax code etc.

Has anyone got work or know of someone willing to give me ago?

Thanks 

Stuart

How would that work for a WHV? Would you need your employer to provide you with a van/tools? 

I am a self employed Decorator, always wondered how a WHV would work for the trades regarding tools/vehicles

3 hours ago, BlackCountryPom said:

How would that work for a WHV? Would you need your employer to provide you with a van/tools? 

I am a self employed Decorator, always wondered how a WHV would work for the trades regarding tools/vehicles

You'd have to supply your own tools more than  likely -  the WHV really is designed not for tradies but for people who are on holiday for an extended period and may need to do some work for a few weeks in order to boost funds and set off travelling again.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2020 at 02:29, BlackCountryPom said:

You would need your own vehicle.

Most firms want you to have a minimum kit of basic tools  ( so as a painter you would need few brushes/roller gear/filler blades/step ladder/ scraper etc ) rollers are slightly different size here but you could bring decent brushes with you.

Same applies for most trades ie - bricky needs trowel/level ect. Tiler needs cutter etc

Employers will have general gear that you will have use of ( big ladders/mixers etc) but they want you self sufficient with your main personal gear ASAP.

1 hour ago, BlackCountryPom said:

Thanks. Wouldn't be worth it really

Might aswell save up & move for good 😍

Absolutely 

About 18 months ago I had a friend of a friend stay with me for a couple weeks (painter on a whv) 

Got himself a little car $1200 and his basic bits of equipment as above ( plus probably a few other bits) for $350

He moaned about this initially but on speaking with him a couple months after he said it was basically 10 days wages so he wasn’t that fussed in the end.

In the end just before he went back we caught up and he had sold car for $700 and his gear for $100 so not too bad in the end.

13 hours ago, Wa7 said:

Absolutely 

About 18 months ago I had a friend of a friend stay with me for a couple weeks (painter on a whv) 

Got himself a little car $1200 and his basic bits of equipment as above ( plus probably a few other bits) for $350

He moaned about this initially but on speaking with him a couple months after he said it was basically 10 days wages so he wasn’t that fussed in the end.

In the end just before he went back we caught up and he had sold car for $700 and his gear for $100 so not too bad in the end.

Agree with this and picking up a bit of a banger to get you from A - B.  The OP could look on gumtree for tools or advertise they need them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlackCountryPom said:

Thanks. Wouldn't be worth it really

Might aswell save up & move for good 😍

The WHV would basically give you a taster, it's not easy (but not impossible) to go from WHV to a more permanent visa, but sponsorship seems to be less attractive to employers since they have to jump through more hoops to sponsor someone.  If you qualify for a permanent visa then i'd certainly think about applying if that's your long term plan.  The downside of the WHV of course is that you can only work for an employer for 6 months and to qualify for your 2nd WHV you have to do the 88 days regional/rural work in a recognised occupation 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 06:42, ali said:

The OP could look on gumtree for tools or advertise they need them

This is what he did for his stepladder ( half price of a new set ) but found it a bit time consuming ( and some stuff advertised was really tatty ) so for the rest of it he went and bought new and also picked up the odd bit from coworkers.