Help! Agreed to an interview tomorrow!

phil

Help! I'm currently still employed by my UK company - don't think they wanted me to go, so they've given me a 3 month contract working remotely from Perth. Yesterday I decided to send my cv/resume off to a few people. Sent another one off this morning and they've asked to see me tomorrow afternoon.

I'm panicking a bit as it's been a few years since I had an interview. :shocked:

I'm reading up on interview tips, but anyone's got any good advice (especially any expected differences between an Australian IT interview and a UK one) I'd appreciate it!

I'm quite concerned about what to wear (usual work attire for me is jeans and t-shirt) - I've got a suit etc, but my smart black shoes are still on the ship (plan was to buy some if I had an interview, but I haven't got time). I've got some smartish shoes and was going to go with a suit trousers, shirt and tie, but no jacket as I get too hot. Is that the done thing?

Guest Lisa&Mark

Good luck with the interview (and shoe shopping!). Let us know how you get on as my OH is an IT bod and any tips would be much appreciated!

Rivers is good, even K mart and big W if you're just looking for a cheap pair for the interview. I'm always impressed when someone looks smart or smart casual. I don't know what they'll ask you about your specific job, but always take the opportunity at the end to sell yourself a bit more. If they say is there anything else you want to add - get in that your enthusiastic, reliable, what you can bring to the company etc., Always think of a couple of questions you can ask that show your enthusiasm and knowledge.

Best of luck

Hi Phil

I am a senior manager in the recruitment industry in the UK and have been offered jobs in Perth, hence flying out next Sunday.

When I am interviewing for senior positions I am looking for someone smart, presentable, punctual and confident with their capabilities.

I try to look for someone who can demostrate their personal and business achievements as this shows dedication to achievement.

Dont be too serious as employers are also very keen to ensure that they fit in with the rest of the organisation so may be worth asking about the culture and work ethics of the company.

I would always ask their motivations for wanting to make a change so make a list of them. Plus this could help you decide if they are right for you.

Make sure you take a couple of copies of your cv and any certificates etc that you have gained.

It will be worth printing out their corporate brochure or their 'about us' from their website and if you have got contact names google them and see if they are on linked in. This information may also give you an insight in to your interviewer.

I hope this little advice helps and good luck.

Regards,

Dean

Hi Dean,

I am a General Manager within the Automotive industry and as such an employer. Great advice, what you say is what i would look for as an employer. I am due to arrive at the begining of October, commencing employment in November. recruitment will be a topic of conversation.

Regards

Darrell.

Thanks for the advice all.

I managed to get a very lovely pair of black shoes in Myer which are so comfy I don't want to take them off!

Interview was interesting. Went with full suit and tie and very much enjoyed meeting the company in question. Format was pretty much what I was expecting, a chat about the company, a chat about me and some techie questions. And salary discussions....

Role sounded exactly what I want both now and longer term, so fingers crossed!

Got another interview tomorrow, but that's a phone one. Kinda upset they won't get to see my handsome shoes!

Guest Lisa&Mark
Thanks for the advice all.

I managed to get a very lovely pair of black shoes in Myer which are so comfy I don't want to take them off!

Interview was interesting. Went with full suit and tie and very much enjoyed meeting the company in question. Format was pretty much what I was expecting, a chat about the company, a chat about me and some techie questions. And salary discussions....

Role sounded exactly what I want both now and longer term, so fingers crossed!

Got another interview tomorrow, but that's a phone one. Kinda upset they won't get to see my handsome shoes!

Fingers crossed for you - hope you get a great outcome :cool:

Hi Phil

Sounds promising. I know Ali said jokingly to wear your shoes but I would wear the suit also. I know it sounds bizzare for a phone interview but if it put you in a positive frame of mind for your last interview and when you wear you will remember the good things about your last interview and will portray the same image.

I know it sounds daft but I work from home a lot and I put my suit on to mentally prepare myself for business mode.

Good luck

Dean

Well the good news is, two interviews so far, two job offers. Another interview Thursday. I'm shooting for a 100% success rate. And there's me all a bit nervous because I've not interviewed for so long. Feeling good today. Even in the rain. :jiggy:

Hi Darrell,

Sorry it has taken a while at get back to you I have been over in Northern Ireland for a week where I have a new office.

Yes I will be staying in the recruitment industry as I do enjoy it and it has been good to me.

Deciding which company to work for will be my dilemma whilst in Perth. We fly out this Sunday for 3 weeks then if everything goes to plan will be back out their in October simialr to you. Just in time for Christmas lol talk about putting extra pressure on ourselves.

Will you be continuing in the automotive industry? I used to supply the automotive industry with high volumes of temps at Nissan, and quite a dew Unipart on site contracts.

Will you be going over on a 457 visa?

Speak to you soon

Hi Dean

Funnily enough , i have just been over in Dublin this weekend, great place to visit. The visa will be a 457. I will be staying in the same industry as it's all i know, the market over here is very different to what i am used to but to be honest this is part of the challenge something new to get my teeth into. I already have a position so its just a matter of my wife finding employment. I am due out October and really looking forward to it. We will certainly have to meet up.

Regards

Darrell & Lisa Brooks

Hi Darrell,

Will it be just yourself and Lisa? only reason I am asking is that myself and my fiance have no children, I am 42 and my fiance is 41 this year. We are going to go over just based on which company I decide to work for then Margaret Ann my fiance can look at what she wants to do. I suppose a slight advantage with me working in recruitment and will be working for one of either the largest recruitment companies in Australia, this will give her the pick of jobs I suppose.

What kind of work is Lisa going to be looking for as I may be able to put her in touch with someone who may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

With you going over on a sponsored 457 visa do you know if your employer supports LAFHA as it can make a difference to your income?

I was not aware of it until one of the companies i am meeting with told me that they do this and can be worth up to a couple of thousand dollars per month extra.

Where abouts in the UK are you currently? we are in Ayrshire West Scotland although I am from Warrington in Cheshire originally so have experience in moving abroad (technically lol)

Have you been to Perth before? this is our first time so will be doing lots of research. I have put a full spreadsheet together with costings and things to do etc etc as I cannot function without a plan lol

HI Dean

I have a daughter 17 going on 27, my wife is 40 and I'm 43. Lisa is looking for just general admin work nothing special, she has become accustomed to being a lady of leisure in the fact that she only works about 20 hours per week and its going to be hard for me to break that cycle. I will have to ask about LAFHA as this is something i have not heard of before. I have never been to Perth or in fact Australia so this is going to be some change but one to relish. We Live in a village on the outskirts of Halifax. I know both Ayreshire and Cheshire as i have colleagues up north and used to travel up frequently for meetings etc. With regards to research thats all i seem to do ,i almost feel as though i have been already however i am sure the reality will be very different, please let me know how your visit goes.

Regards

Darrell & Lisa & Lauren

Hello,

Here is a link to LAFHA and if you look into it there is lots of information on the internet regarding this. Your employer will giv eyou figures if they support this but it will make a huge difference. Basically it is a tax benefit that is paid to you weekly and pays for food of around $250 to $300 per week and pays towards your rent. I think the maximum claim per year is $32,000.

Whilst there we are going to be doing cost comparisons against food and bills etc. We have rented a villa in ocean reef to give us a feel of living in a suburb rather than a hotel (plus I am fed with hotels with work as I cover from Middlesbrough, Carlisle, all of Scotland and Ireland).

I have put together a spreadsheet with lists and costs of living expenses and a few other bits. If you want a copy of this then email me on deanhewitt@btinternet.com and it will be my pleasure to send this across.

Also if you are looking for anything specific, ie websites for whatever then let me know as I probably have the links to them.

Link for LAFHA - http://www.lafha.com.au/Home.aspx

http://www.smeba.com.au/computing-the-value-of-lafha-living-away-from-home-allowance/

Income calculator - http://www.paycalculator.com.au/ (if your new salary is + super then make sure you untick the 'Includes Superannuation' box otherwise it will give you false figures.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm pleased to announce I had 3 interviews, and 3 job offers. A strike-rate I'm proud of. I was nervous about once again entering the job market (not just because it's a new country for me, but it's been a while since I was interviewed).

I've accepted what I think is an excellent offer with a small IT services firm. For a not inconsiderable pay rise over my UK salary. Very pleased indeed.