Private Health Cover

JaynBev

Hello folks,

We're looking into the private health care options at present.

We've looked at a few compare the markets options and they all seem to be between $130 & $250 per month.

Just wanted to ask people their thoughts on taking this sort of policy out:

Did you take it straight away / wait till you are working / purchase prior to emigrating / see a special advisor once there etc?

Help please :arghh:

thanks

J & B

Guest irishpom

Hiya,

As we knew roughly when we were hoping to arrive we choose to pay a month in advance (medibank private) and when we actually get there apparently we just go along to their offices and produce evidence of our arrival date. Having provided this they will the adjust the start time of our cover. It was a 457 visa application requirement that we had evidence of health cover. I have heard (but I am unable to prove validity of info) that ordinary travel insurance which covers Australia will suffice for initial arrival.

Perhaps others may have more info on this.

Not sure if I have helped much.

irishpom

Hello folks,

We've looked at a few compare the markets options and they all seem to be between $130 & $250 per month.

Did you take it straight away / wait till you are working / purchase prior to emigrating / see a special advisor once there etc?

thanks

I went with IMAN, only the cheap and cheerfull option of 106 per month, to satisfy condition 8501 of the 457 Visa, we are going to cancel once in Aus and we have signed up with Medicare, we front loaded it with the visa application to prevent any delays.

• 2 months later...
Hello folks,

thanks

J & B

BUMB ................................

We have decided to cancel IMAN as it is visitor cover, so we are looking for an alternative, has anybody got any advice, my boss says to get something as you get a tax break on it so you end up getting your money back, I have looked at BUPA and Medibank, both seem expensive compared to IMAN

bupa not to good over here Paul, they amalgamated with another 3 companies last year so not so good, we are looking at HBF or Medicare , quotes for 2 adults are $150 or $178 per month for 2nd top level of cover. chris

Thanks Chris, that the second time I have heard that Bupa are no good, one less to worry about, HCF have been mentioned, I will look at HBF

Cheers