Internet, should I be concerned?

vixie99

So, I am trying to get broadband set up in mt pleasant.

Optus, tell me they have service but no ports.

telstra say they can only give me telephone

iinet, say yeah ok you can have broadband and telephone.

Am I to be worried, that optics and telstra have said no but iinet, yes? Don't Telstra own the lines, and therefore if they can't give me adsl broadband no one can?

Have I just walked into weeks of waiting to be told its not possible and then to be hit with cancellation, disconnection or reconnection fees? Is there a way to find out what is really available? The whole wireless dongle just doesn't work for me.

Ports are more related to the comms equipment inside the cabinets, rather than the line. As far as I'm aware Telstra, Optus, iiNet & TPG have their own infrastructure for ADSL2+ so it's entirely feasible that iinet could have ports available while the others don't. That wouldn't be the case for ADSL though (as opposed to ADSL2+) as Telstra owns all the ADSL ports (the other ISP's are just resellers, so if Telstra had no ADSL ports available, no one else would either).

We've just gone with Vivid Wireless on someones recommendation - set up and going today actually!

It works on 4G so no phone line necessary (although you can have VOIP for an extra $10 per month). We've paid $129 for the router and will be paying $79 per month for unlimited.

Totally portable, which is good for us as we are in a rental, so when we move we just pick it up and plug it in wherever we've moved to with no service interruptions (and no moving fees!)

Ok, will hold on and see what iinet do, if nothing in one to to weeks will see if I can be out of using them. Telstra also seemed to not to be sure until they connected the phone line, seems they all want to try but no one is sure. All they know is I am surrounded by houses which do have adsl, Great help.

will look into vivid, I've been lucky that all my rentals have had Internet...or is it unlucky as means I've sat back and not done it in time.

Its all to do with the number of ADSL ports in the Telstra exchange. I have heard iinet promise someone else and after they have handed over cash for the service found out that it couldnt be done as there were no available ports. More research is required and some guarantees from iinet

I am amazed....one week later and I have Internet, modem and phone line. Just having a few conversations to get my fetch tv hardware and the billing sorted so that I'm not paying for everything separately (which works out more expensive by far). There is hope, I was so worried it wasn't going to happen and was going to take forever, so far so good with Iinet!

Its all to do with the number of ADSL ports in the Telstra exchange. I have heard iinet promise someone else and after they have handed over cash for the service found out that it couldnt be done as there were no available ports. More research is required and some guarantees from iinet

I am amazed....one week later and I have Internet, modem and phone line. Just having a few conversations to get my fetch tv hardware and the billing sorted so that I'm not paying for everything separately (which works out more expensive by far). There is hope, I was so worried it wasn't going to happen and was going to take forever, so far so good with Iinet!

so who did u go with what have you got and price please ( cheeky I know but we men are a little lazy lol)

so who did u go with what have you got and price please ( cheeky I know but we men are a little lazy lol)

So in went with Iinet, $99 a month for 200gb data, home phone (local and national calls inc), fetch tv starter pack and some virus protection thing. It's there combo deal. You can switch tv for mobile.

It all took about a week, hardware arrived (still waiting for tv) but I think that's pretty good going. I also liked the way they email you and give you access to an online tool which shows you progress of order. What they don't tell you is once the line is connected you need to phone and ask them to progress the Internet order.

Optus had been my first choice, as was cheaper for the same but they basically said no ports so no service!

Hope that helps your hunting for Internet...

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig this up.

We have just signed up to iinet, telstra came out and sorted the phone line, then email saying order processed and my hardware will be with me on Wednesday - Monday. Then an email saying 'sorry, we havn't got any ports left'.

Any suggestions? I can't keep sticking $30 on a wireless dongle. I need a home network for my NAS drives and TV to function fully :(

Thanks.

It looks like its just nobody has bothered to keep the ADSL2 infrastructure in line with housing. Now with NBN they wont bother to improve the situation either. With more and more housing being built, new houses in all their glory just wont have the internet.

We bought a Telstra Mobile Pocket Wifi box when we first arrived for $99, luckily from the Good guys as a leaflet came though the door yesterday for $49, with their 120% price matcher, we got $60 back, so it only cost $39. Now looks like we have to use this indefinitely.

Another newbie caught in Perths backward internet saga, welcome to 1999, now its going to take you 3 months of fighting to get ALL your money back from IINet, you should have read a couple of my posts before signing up, i did exactly the same as you, as a lesson to all, call Telstra FIRST, if they say NO PORTS, then there are NO PORTS, dont make the mistake of calling someone like IINET and falling for the salesman spiel of YES we have ports, ALL the ports are TELSTRA infrastructure, if Telstra cant help you, nobody can, the only thing I can say on a positive note, is for the same wireless solution you currently have, VIVID are cheaper, but only good in Perth Metro area, doesnt cover Mandura

Sorry to dig this up.

We have just signed up to iinet' date=' telstra came out and sorted the phone line, then email saying order processed and my hardware will be with me on Wednesday - Monday. Then an email saying 'sorry, we havn't got any ports left'.

Any suggestions? I can't keep sticking $30 on a wireless dongle. I need a home network for my NAS drives and TV to function fully :([/quote']

We had a very similar problem. Telstra couldn't do it but iinet said they could. They then said 'sorry we can't'!! They wanted $350 for installing phone Line. After a long time it go sorted and we didn't pay anything. We now have a vivid wireless hub, $80 a month with unlimited use! Basically a much cheaper dongle plugged into the wall. It's not the fastest but it works! Would def recommend

Guest Guest6235

@Druid how far north does the Perth metro area go up to, is it somewhere like Mindarie. We'll probably look at that vivid if it comes as a complete kit.

Cheers

My mate in Yanchep is with Telstra home phone & wifi $110 p/m includes free calls to uk, he said it's fine.

Edited by Guest6235

Quite right, talk to Telstra first. I actually managed to get Telstra to agree to send me hardware and set up but should they then find no ports to wave the cancellation fee.

Are iinet not able to give you ADSL and a speed boost? That's what I ended up with, I get around 2.5mb not great but better than nothing. 2km down the road and it's 8MB.

@Druid how far north does the Perth metro area go up to, is it somewhere like Mindarie. We'll probably look at that vivid if it comes as a complete kit.

Cheers

My mate in Yanchep is with Telstra home phone & wifi $110 p/m includes free calls to uk, he said it's fine.

We are in burns beach, which is a couple of KM south of Mindarie and Vivid works fine up here, according to the coverage map it seems it will work as far north as alkimoss, Yanchep should be covered by the NBN, the plan for the NBN is to start in remote areas and the work toward Perth Metro, so the further you live away from Perth, the sooner you will be able to get decent internet, a lot of new estate are 'fibre' estates, the house is already connected to the NBN via a third party server maintained by the likes of e wire or fuze etc so do some research if it is connected you dont have the port issue, justsign up with the provider

• 5 months later...

Vivid has defo gone down hill, it used to be a reasonable service, just lately it is so slow, I see it got bought out by one of the other big ISP so maybe they winding it down to force you onto there mainstream overpriced 4G service, thankfully I only have a couple months left on it