British fish and chips

Jony001

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could get feed back ASAP off people .. Would people want seating? Would you be coming to eat there or to take away??

I cannot wait for proper thick chips, and real mushy peas! you are going to be right on my doorstep (Kinross).

we would be take home customers.

Is it going to be based on the franchise http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/food/our-menu/

$20 for a boxed fish supper then? $48 for two and one kids special meal.

Or will the menu and associated prices be set locally? Because it's Perth, no doubt overhead and set up costs will be higher, and therefore that will have a knock on effect in relation to pricing :wink:

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Is it going to be based on the franchise http://www.chumleywarners.com.au/food/our-menu/

$20 for a boxed fish supper then? $48 for two and one kids special meal.

Or will the menu and associated prices be set locally? Because it's Perth, no doubt overhead and set up costs will be higher, and therefore that will have a knock on effect in relation to pricing :wink:

We hope to be able to provide a quality product at reasonable prices -- less than the price you mentioned. It'll certainly be cheaper than a takeaway from the Indian or Chinese. But, yes you are right costs in WA are higher, and to a certain extent people do expect prices to be a bit higher as a result. We won't be taking the P tho, just trying to make a living feed our families etc.

I can't wait to eat proper chips.

Ross

We hope to be able to provide a quality product at reasonable prices -- less than the price you mentioned. It'll certainly be cheaper than a takeaway from the Indian or Chinese. But, yes you are right costs in WA are higher, and to a certain extent people do expect prices to be a bit higher as a result. We won't be taking the P tho, just trying to make a living feed our families etc.

I can't wait to eat proper chips.

Ross

Agree that prices are higher in WA because people are greedy, but if you could bring in a quality product under the stupid prices that Chumleys do, you might do OK. Been to Chumleys in Qld and actually wasn't that impressed with the quality of food, service or the price. Had much better in Freo and locally where I live. Totally get that you are trying to make a living, as we all do, but if you don't rip people off, you will do OK. Just remember that people will vote with their feet and their wallet.

Agree that prices are higher in WA because people are greedy, but if you could bring in a quality product under the stupid prices that Chumleys do, you might do OK. Been to Chumleys in Qld and actually wasn't that impressed with the quality of food, service or the price. Had much better in Freo and locally where I live. Totally get that you are trying to make a living, as we all do, but if you don't rip people off, you will do OK. Just remember that people will vote with their feet and their wallet.

We certainly don't plan to rip people off. We aim to deliver value for money. We all know when we've eaten a 'fancy' meal in a lovely restaurant that wasn't worth the equally fancy price. Likewise I've had fantastic meals that I would have paid more for. What's expensive for one person might be a bargain for another, so it's subjective, as is people's perception of quality.

Obviously if prices are too high folk won't come -- that isn't in the plan either. As you say, people will vote with their feet & wallets and rightly so.

Pea -- you are welcome to be a taster, just share our Facebook page and you could be invited to sample the delights before we open -- you know you want to...

:biggrin:

Guest guest9824
We certainly don't plan to rip people off. We aim to deliver value for money. We all know when we've eaten a 'fancy' meal in a lovely restaurant that wasn't worth the equally fancy price. Likewise I've had fantastic meals that I would have paid more for. What's expensive for one person might be a bargain for another, so it's subjective, as is people's perception of quality.

Obviously if prices are too high folk won't come -- that isn't in the plan either. As you say, people will vote with their feet & wallets and rightly so.

Pea -- you are welcome to be a taster, just share our Facebook page and you could be invited to sample the delights before we open -- you know you want to...

:biggrin:

Oh Ross...I don't Facetube, nor instagraph, tumble or tweeter! :nah:But I do LIKE* .....does the same 'try before you buy' apply to them posh handbags and shoes?...:nah:..hmmmmm...well a girl can ask!

Maybe you could start a PP loyalty Fush and Chup Card?

We certainly don't plan to rip people off. We aim to deliver value for money.

Think all posters on here would understand that and I am sure everyone will give it a go who wants to and word will spread. Since you are opening in late September, according to an earlier post, surely by this time in the business modelling you must have a product offering and price list model nearly finanlised? This venture has intrigued a few folk and to be bringing out specific equipment, continually importing specific food products and so on must put pressure on the the base line costs. This does not even bring into play local costs in relation to the premisis and so on. All of which in turn will have a knock on effect to the final price model. It will be interesting to see how it all stacks up. The trick of course, as you are clearly aware, is how to deliver the quality products within that window people think is reasonable in order to ensure repeat business.

One thing I totally agree with is where you say is "What's expensive for one person might be a bargain for another". The push to have everything "cheap" is not the answer in many retail and service oferrings because there are still a substantial number of people who have money, wany quality products and are prepared to pay for them. The trick I guess is to capture the widest audience as possible. All very intriguing and will be really interesting to see how it all goes.

Oh Ross...I don't Facetube, nor instagraph, tumble or tweeter! :nah:But I do LIKE* .....does the same 'try before you buy' apply to them posh handbags and shoes?...:nah:..hmmmmm...well a girl can ask!

Maybe you could start a PP loyalty Fush and Chup Card?

I'm sure I can do you a combo deal: a posh (but sensibly priced!) handbag full of chips. Maybe we could look at a PP based deal, we'll see.

Cheers

Ross

Think all posters on here would understand that and I am sure everyone will give it a go who wants to and word will spread. Since you are opening in late September, according to an earlier post, surely by this time in the business modelling you must have a product offering and price list model nearly finanlised? This venture has intrigued a few folk and to be bringing out specific equipment, continually importing specific food products and so on must put pressure on the the base line costs. This does not even bring into play local costs in relation to the premisis and so on. All of which in turn will have a knock on effect to the final price model. It will be interesting to see how it all stacks up. The trick of course, as you are clearly aware, is how to deliver the quality products within that window people think is reasonable in order to ensure repeat business.

One thing I totally agree with is where you say is "What's expensive for one person might be a bargain for another". The push to have everything "cheap" is not the answer in many retail and service oferrings because there are still a substantial number of people who have money, wany quality products and are prepared to pay for them. The trick I guess is to capture the widest audience as possible. All very intriguing and will be really interesting to see how it all goes.

Yes, we have a menu and price list sorted out based on all the contributing factors you have identified. I believe (after living here for a year now) that it will be value for money and Jon and I will work hard (listening to customers) to hopefully make it successful. Delivering the expectations of individuals experience of fish and chips will be challenging but we're up for it.

Ross

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say, good luck. Think it is an excellent idea and much needed. Very poor quality takeaways in the area in my opinion, spend a fortune have lots of hope and always feel very disappointed, believe me we have tried everywhere. The chips are cooked from frozen, the oil leaves an aftertaste and the local fish served are very thick and meaty. Fantastic choice of location...Currambine is developing very quickly with a great choice of retail and leisure developments and only 2 mins from us! We travel to Joondalup for the nearest decent fish and chips, Govenders it is called and is always packed with the phone ringing nonstop when you are in there. Atlantic cod and chips is around $15.00, great fish, fantastic staff but the chips are from frozen. I would say though, it is normal here to get 2 small fish in a single serve...don't know why but you do feel like it's a bonus. I do think if you get this right you will get a fantastic reputation and do very, very well. Now if you could do a great home made chicken curry and half chips/half rice special that would be great.

Just wanted to say, good luck. Think it is an excellent idea and much needed. Very poor quality takeaways in the area in my opinion, spend a fortune have lots of hope and always feel very disappointed, believe me we have tried everywhere. The chips are cooked from frozen, the oil leaves an aftertaste and the local fish served are very thick and meaty. Fantastic choice of location...Currambine is developing very quickly with a great choice of retail and leisure developments and only 2 mins from us! We travel to Joondalup for the nearest decent fish and chips, Govenders it is called and is always packed with the phone ringing nonstop when you are in there. Atlantic cod and chips is around $15.00, great fish, fantastic staff but the chips are from frozen. I would say though, it is normal here to get 2 small fish in a single serve...don't know why but you do feel like it's a bonus. I do think if you get this right you will get a fantastic reputation and do very, very well. Now if you could do a great home made chicken curry and half chips/half rice special that would be great.

Thanks lancslass for an informative and well considered post.

Cheers

Ross

the reason a lot of chip pies restaurant s have frozen Chips because of the potato board , you can't go to a farm or wholesaler and get a 25 kg bag of spuds , I'm wary of Atlantic cod I reckon it's shark very similar on taste and texture., called flake in the eastern states

Edited by Cerberus1
edit by admin

the reason a lot of chip pies restaurant s have frozen Chips because of the potato board , you can't go to a farm or wholesaler and get a 25 kg bag of spuds , I'm wary of Atlantic cod I reckon it's shark very similar on taste and texture., called flake in the eastern states

People are allowed to have opinions about quality of food, it isn't whinging. In fact lancslass provided reasons why she didn't like the takeaways to back up her assertion. Also, people are allowed to crave food from home and bring it to their new countries -- that's how cuisines spread across the world and why places like Glasgow have fantastic Indians and Italians. There are tons of examples of this. I'm not suggesting British fish and chips is a high end dining experience, but it seems that there are many poms who are fed up with frozen chips and want the real taste of chips from home.

Also we are allowed to be patriotic and nostalgic about our home country and its food, just because we have settled in a new county doesn't mean we have to settle for takeaway food which doesn't meet our expectations.

And finally no idea what you are on about with the spuds. We have easily managed to source potatoes and just to correct you on a point of fact, our cod and haddock will be from the North Atlantic and not substituted by any other fish. I suggest that if you want to whinge about the shark/cod/flake that you have been eating you lodge a complaint with your current local takeaway. If you want real cod, haddock and chips, you know where to come.

Ross

Edited by ali
Removed references to post that had been edited.

Personally, if there is an improvement that can be made to something, it should be done regardless where in the world it is from.

One of the reasons i complain about Oz food is down to too many people having this poor attitude. One of accepting poor product

Edited by ali
Removed quote and reference to deleted quote