Very bad first day/week at school

Guest Lou26

My daughter had a very bad first day at school. I think its just reminding her how much she misses home. She doesn't want to keep going, i wish i could go for her. Anyone with this problem before? did it take long to settle? I suppose everyone is different.

She is 16 and is shy until she feels comfortable. On the other hand my son really settled well and made friends straight away.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

Sorry to hear that. It's day one so I would give her time to settle really? It's a hard age to start with eh? Can she get involved in after school stuff eventually? It might just build her confidence and once she starts to make new friends etc it can only be good for her. Good luck.

My daughter had a very bad first day at school. I think its just reminding her how much she misses home. She doesn't want to keep going, i wish i could go for her. Anyone with this problem before? did it take long to settle? I suppose everyone is different.

She is 16 and is shy until she feels comfortable. On the other hand my son really settled well and made friends straight away.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Lou

Sorry to hear that, however I don't think it would have made much difference if she changed schools in UK and started a school with no friends. What school is she at, where do you live?

My daughter started High School on Monday and also came home a bit shell shocked and she has been at school here all her life! Early days, it's bound to improve but emigrating with teenagers is never easy,... May I suggest that you get her to find some out of school activities as well which may keep her entertained. Maybe get her into the local surf lifesavers or something out of the ordinary for a Brit kid! At least she can tell her friends in the UK about the lovely surf dudes she has met, then they will all be jealous!

I hope things pick up for her,

My 16yr old son and 12 yr old both started highschool. The younger one has made friends but the 16 yr old hasn't. I think we have to bear with it for a while & fingers crossed it won't take too long before they have some friends I think the older ones find it harder to make friends they are not so outgoing and at that awkward age where everything is hard work

I am thinking its early days so fingers crossed in a couple of weeks they will both have friends :-)

Hi Lou, really sorry to hear that, I must say I'm not looking forward to my two starting school when we get over there in June. My youngest who'll be 11 is OK at the moment but it's my eldest who'll be 14 who really doesn't want to come and is dreading going to school, frightened she won't make friends. Where about are you Lou and which school are they attending?

Thanks everyone.....I must admit as the week has went on her mood has picked up slightly :) she is at John Tonkin college. She absolutely didn't want to try private school so we compromised. The first week is the hardest and I'm glad it's almost over to be honest. Lots of pressures at the mo so I think it's all a bit much. Still living with family....I haven't found work yet ( but have a couple of interviews lined up so fingers crossed ) saying all that I still wouldn't go back.

Hobson crew...where are you going to live and do you have schools lined up??

Thanks again x

Thanks everyone.....I must admit as the week has went on her mood has picked up slightly :) she is at John Tonkin college. She absolutely didn't want to try private school so we compromised. The first week is the hardest and I'm glad it's almost over to be honest. Lots of pressures at the mo so I think it's all a bit much. Still living with family....I haven't found work yet ( but have a couple of interviews lined up so fingers crossed ) saying all that I still wouldn't go back.

Hobson crew...where are you going to live and do you have schools lined up??

Thanks again x

good to hear she's feeling a bit better! I think parents worry more than the kids.

Kids and school. Pure psychology.

Must know about me: I also freaked out when 5th grade started, there were lots of times when I just stood up and went home : )) Of course there was another factor: the loss of a dear dad when I was in 3rd grade, so for a really long time I too was shy until I was comfortable.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll end with this: Parents, don't forget to talk to & with your kids! Communication is essential!

Keeping fingers crossed for all youngsters out there!