Handing keys back to house in Uk

Lb73

Hi Guys,

Need some advice please.

Due to circumstances outside of my control it looks like I have no other option than to hand my keys back

to my property in the UK. This is called voluntary repossession and I am concerned this may affect my credit rating in OZ especially when we eventually try and get a mortgage here in WA.

Has anyone else experienced this or able to provide any advice?

Thank you in advance.

LB

I'm not sure about this. Is there no way around it? What if the house sells for less than you owe? Don't you have to pay the difference back to the mortgage lender? Hopefully someone in the know will reply, good luck!

Hi,

Thanks, Mortgage lender won't give me any leeway so there is no other option. If the house sells for less,

then I will have to pay shortfall, this is ok as you can pay this monthly.

With Mad Cow on this one..... purely because I had a really good credit rating in UK but couldnt even get a credit card in Oz until I had finally managed to prove that I was a good credit risk. Managed to finally prove this by buying a bed on interest free credit through Harvey Normam...... So do not understand why credit ratings do not move from country to country with a person!!!

With Mad Cow on this one..... purely because I had a really good credit rating in UK but couldnt even get a credit card in Oz until I had finally managed to prove that I was a good credit risk. Managed to finally prove this by buying a bed on interest free credit through Harvey Normam...... So do not understand why credit ratings do not move from country to country with a person!!!

Is this the best way to get a credit history in Oz then?

Has anyone paid for a credit report in the UK and taken a copy of it to Oz? If so, did it make any difference? TIA

It doesn't follow you so taking a copy will make no difference . Remember you suddenly don't own property ( in Aus anyway ) you don't have any working history in Aus. Even if you already have a job there will be no job security as you have not been there long enough. Why would you have a good credit risk just because you were in the UK?

Don't you need debt you have a credit rating and of course when you come out here you have no immediate debt, i.e. mortgage, car loan, etc???!!! Bizzare world. I came out with cash and could not get a credit card but could have bought the bank twice over. I was told it was not because I was necessarily a big risk to them but it was because I was not known to them via any credit rating reports. Get a job, rack up some time here, some minor debt and call back. Chicken and the egg. So as Give me a Break says it does not follow because we have had a good credit rating in the UK that it is relevant here.

Mind you on looking back best refusal that I have ever had in my life. I now do not have a credit card here and by keeping away from the banks as much as possible and keeping debt low it makes it all much, much easier. I appreciate that not everyone can achieve this immediately. An accountant said to me a few months after I first arrived, "The secret in Perth is earn just enough and you will have a great life here. Earn too much, or take on too much debt, and you will start chasing the buck and then your lifestyle to meet that will mean missing everything that is good about living in Perth." I thought that was sound advice. Not rocket science but sound advice.

Mind you this was from a multi millionare living in a suburb over looking the Swan so he could afford to be generous with that view point!! :biggrin: I think he was right though because why come all the way out here to be up to your neck in debt???

I have to agree, I've seen people come over and within weeks they have a car loan , huge telly on credit, daft IMHO .

Hi All,

The issue I have is that I have been in OZ for 4 years and have a healthy credit rating.

My credit ratin in the UK was healthy upto now and for circumstances outside my control I have no choice but to hand the keys back to the lender. I am just trying to find out if this can be looked at and referenced

when we eventually apply for a mortgage in WA.

Your credit rating won't follow you. But if you are in debt to the mortgage lender in the UK then they'll start their various proceedings to recover any money owing. They'll try and sell the property with an emphasis on selling it quickly rather than for the best price i.e. you could end up legally owing them far more than a shortfall on the "open market". Depending on the amounts, the lender may well pursue it quite aggressively, whether you're there or not.

You might decide to do that if you plan to never return to the UK, but never is a long time...