health care how does it work

tojo3005

We have medicare .. unless a Dr is bulk billing (no gap payment) when you visit a GP you will pay and get a rebate (part of the cost refunded). The public sector for hospitals is free but there may be waiting lists. Dental is not covered by medicare or orthodontists (if you have kids who need braces). Eye tests are bulk billed but glasses are not free (even for children). You have to pay for all medication.

We have private health cover which included hospital cover, dental, optical (physio etc.) and ambulance cover.

hi

how does this work with medicare /private etc

do you need private ins or is there a goverment funded ie nhs

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/medicare-services Medicare services and how they work.

Private health cover information in www.hbf.com.au will give you an idea on what is offered in that insurance. Bear in mind with private cover you can still pay for some costs, depending on the service you want, because there are waiting times in terms of how long you have held the policy. Also with private you can add on extras to the policy based on your family history and circumstance, e.g. chiro, optical etc. One extra can be dental.

You should consider private dental though even if you do not take out private health cover. Dental is very costly.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

• 2 weeks later...

My son has was born with a condition which was operated on in the UK. He was under a consultant over there for checks (about once a year) and ultrasound even though all is well to keep an eye on it as he grows. How would this work here with regard to what we would have to pay for - would this be covered my medicare? We are on a 457 visa. I have heard that waiting lists are long here - does anyone have any info on this? What do people think to the healthcare over here?

Many thanks

My son has was born with a condition which was operated on in the UK. He was under a consultant over there for checks (about once a year) and ultrasound even though all is well to keep an eye on it as he grows. How would this work here with regard to what we would have to pay for - would this be covered my medicare? We are on a 457 visa. I have heard that waiting lists are long here - does anyone have any info on this? What do people think to the healthcare over here?

Many thanks

I work in healthcare so I'm an avid fan of it lol! Medicare usually covers you for most things. However, depending on your sons condition if and when you apply for pr it just might be worth looking into private health insurance? I'm no expert but if its just a check up once a year it doesn't sound that expensive? So may not be a problem when you apply for pr? Just ask away as I'm sure we can answer your queries.

Bottom line though is if you decide to go with just Medicare, you do need to have Ambulance Insurance. St John Ambulance in WA offer a low cost insurance premium, and it is so worth it. Just a normal ambulance trip to hospital from a home 15km away from the A&E could cost you nearly a $1000. Imagine if you needed medication, paramedic help etc.... Been there, done that and I was so grateful that the insurance picked up the $1400 tab in total! So worth the annual premium, especially if you have children!