Boom time gone? Has this affected drafting work in construction?

gypsy10

We are due to emigrate in September this year and wanted to get a feel for what the fire alarm/construction service industry is like at the moment. My husband is a CAD design drafter in this industry in the UK.

We have read a few posts saying that the civil industry in particular, has been in decline over the last few months and that the boom has now ended.

I was wondering has the big decline affected drafting work in general as well?

It's such a worry with our impending move. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you

sad.gif

As a general overview though, with the downturn in mining of late, all the companies that supported the mining industry are starting to feel the pinch. There are some small companies who have "gone to the wall" because of this. I know absolutely nothing about your industry, but it seems very much that the decline in the mining industry is having a knock on effect everywhere. Just my view of course, so please take it in the spirit in which it is intended.....

Maybe this will cheer you up...:biggrin: I haven't read the report personally but thought it might be of interest to you.

According to the latest report by the Australian Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, an estimated 131,200 jobs are to be created in various areas of Australia’s construction industry over the next five years – a growth of around 12.6%.

Although the recent focus has been on Australia’s mining industry, which has been cited as one of the key areas which helped stave off recession in Australia while the rest of the world suffered, it is in fact the expanding construction sector which is set to grow the most in the next five years, with jobs being created in the residential, commercial and civil sectors of the industry.

Thank you Malella you have just made my day :jiggy:

All the best to you x

Maybe this will cheer you up...:biggrin: I haven't read the report personally but thought it might be of interest to you.

According to the latest report by the Australian Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, an estimated 131,200 jobs are to be created in various areas of Australia’s construction industry over the next five years – a growth of around 12.6%.

Although the recent focus has been on Australia’s mining industry, which has been cited as one of the key areas which helped stave off recession in Australia while the rest of the world suffered, it is in fact the expanding construction sector which is set to grow the most in the next five years, with jobs being created in the residential, commercial and civil sectors of the industry.

As a general overview though, with the downturn in mining of late, all the companies that supported the mining industry are starting to feel the pinch. There are some small companies who have "gone to the wall" because of this. I know absolutely nothing about your industry, but it seems very much that the decline in the mining industry is having a knock on effect everywhere. Just my view of course, so please take it in the spirit in which it is intended.....

The thing is Perth and WA are pretty much wholly reliant on the resources sector, apart from agriculture there is little else. The boom is over, it was quite short lived in the event. The expectation I think was that it would last longer than it did. Things are getting quite nervy with large projects being canned on a daily basis. There are a couple of issues, firstly there are a huge number of skilled people being dumped on the labour market creating competition for jobs, secondly you would have to think the resources slow down will result in the contraction of the WA economy generally. I hope it doesn't, but after 5 years in WA mostly in mining related construction an engineering I am being posted to qld because ther are no upcoming projects for me to go onto.

Hi folks, finding your experiences really concerning as hubby is a welder and we are planning to come to Australia on the strength of his skills.:wideeyed:

Can I ask a question though...with visas being granted for skilled migrants in these areas, surely there are jobs for people to go to? Maybe thats just too simplistic? I thought that the DIAC now had a handle on immigration, in so far as the visas granted are for those skills that are in shortage there?

Hi I think there is a risk with everything we do in life we have all applied and got or applied and waiting for our visas and think that for many years to come there will still be doubts and debates about employment its the same all over the world

We have taken the decision to move so to me lets just get on with it and if it works out then good and if it doesn't we can all old up our chins and say at least we tried to improve the quality of our lives

Hi I think there is a risk with everything we do in life we have all applied and got or applied and waiting for our visas and think that for many years to come there will still be doubts and debates about employment its the same all over the world

We have taken the decision to move so to me lets just get on with it and if it works out then good and if it doesn't we can all old up our chins and say at least we tried to improve the quality of our lives

This is true, there are always risks in life and thats a really positive stance to take! I guess its just good to get an idea of the actual reality of the employment situation before landing on Australian shores. Anyone shed any light on my query re. DIAC granting visas if there are jobs shortages?

The reality with that is that it takes big, clumbersome government bodies time to undertake the necessary research and then they need to change policies and then in turn the policy changes need to fliter down to actual process changes. The other fact is that there is a general election here in September and the current party in power may be too busy with other things to go making any major changes to visas at this point in time because they are under pressure from all sides in a whole range of things. There has been changes to the 457 visa conditions and for what it is worth that could possibly be the tip of the iceberg with more changes to other visas coming later, after the election, and after the necessary information is provided to them. Alternatively if it was to be seen a political win for them they could simply stop certain visas tomorrow in order to gain votes.

WA is in a different position to the all the other states, apart from Queensland perhaps, in that we have holes in the ground and a lot of them. As Greg says everything is linked to that. If we stop taking stuff out of these holes then the knock on effect could be like a pack of cards falling. I think everyone is fearful of that to be honest. If it happens some folk will survive ok and others will be hit hard. No different to anywhere else really.

If the boom is over, as some folk seem to suggest, and jobs continue to be lost in key sectors here in WA then my guess is that there will most likley be changes to visas at some point. In addition the unions need to be careful and look after their own and also make sure that local youngsters are being trained. If they see jobs start to go here they will soon jump on the band wagon and demand changes that protect local jobs, e.g. why do we need overseas tradesmen when we have all of our own out of work and apprentices needing starts? (All this sound familiar?) And in an election year they will sure to have a lot of clout with this and other issues given their block votes.

So why are certain jobs down as a shortage? Because they have been for a while based on what WA needs and unless there is a big political reason to remove them, (would not want facts to get in the way), then they may stay on the list regardless. This is not good news for folk thinking about coming over now, I know, but as gazza says you either grab the opportunity when it is there, and take your chances, or you worry and do not the gamble.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Thanks for your response StraighttothePoint, certainly makes things clearer, though its sobering to consider!

We will be going ahead with trying to secure our visa despite the apparent downturn in the industry. Glad we have acted now prior to the general election, in case there are any unforseen changes to the visa system.