Spiders

portlaunay

Guest guest9824
We get scorpions here too? Now that is awesome.

We sure do, not as venomous as the African variety. Johnnys scorpion was found just out in the backyard in the bushes. They like the sandy soil and are quite prevalent in the hills apparently....

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-identification.html

I hate the beggers , I've been bit twice since being here ... my daughters not phased by them either . Show her a cockroach though ... ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Oooh, what was it like? I'm tempted to pick up a Redback just to see what the bite is like. I think I've relayed my ant story on here and I still find it so fascinating that something so small can inflict so much damage.

Not sure which bit me ?!

I woke up with a fat thumb and during the day it started getting bigger and blacker and spreading up my arm , I never knew I had been bitten . off I trotted to walk in they were yup spider bite and why did you leave it so late to come in ... , I was stressing ... I am not going to loose my thumb am I ? . I didn't realise I had been bitten ! :eek: must have been the day before I was gardening without gloves ! ( note to self ... DON"T garden without gloves !!!)

Second time again I had been bitten and not notice we were sitting outside at friends and I thought MOGGIE bite .. off I went to bed and woke up looking like elephant man , off to walk in again .. that was freaky as they were on my neck and down my shoulder the bloody thing must of walked all over me ! :arghh:

I would definatly not recomend being bitten by a red back. It often requires a trip to hospital and anti venom. Until the redback anti venom was available there were deaths from this little fellow. The bite is VERY painful - have seen a guy bitten. A big "tough" bloke who cried in the pain.

I have been bitten by a scorpian in WA, pretty sore. It was a massive black one that got me on my foot. Also being bitten by a white tail spider which put me in the medical room for 2 days. Got bitten by a scorpian here in Africa as well recently. Wasnt too bad except i was on the toilet at the time and it got me somewhere that it normally would not get to!

The one you do not want to get bitten by is the centapide - the offsiders at work used to collect bugs - scorpians and things to put in a bucket and bet on who would be the victor in the fight. Centapide always won.

Oh, and do not touch them very cute little octopus - particularly the ones that flash blue rings on them as you approach - that is a VERY bad idea

Guest guest9824
I would definatly not recomend being bitten by a red back. It often requires a trip to hospital and anti venom. Until the redback anti venom was available there were deaths from this little fellow. The bite is VERY painful - have seen a guy bitten. A big "tough" bloke who cried in the pain.

I have been bitten by a scorpian in WA, pretty sore. It was a massive black one that got me on my foot. Also being bitten by a white tail spider which put me in the medical room for 2 days. Got bitten by a scorpian here in Africa as well recently. Wasnt too bad except i was on the toilet at the time and it got me somewhere that it normally would not get to!

The one you do not want to get bitten by is the centapide - the offsiders at work used to collect bugs - scorpians and things to put in a bucket and bet on who would be the victor in the fight. Centapide always won.

Oh, and do not touch them very cute little octopus - particularly the ones that flash blue rings on them as you approach - that is a VERY bad idea

Ooouchhhh! How's your nether regions now? :wink:

Hubs has been biten by a redback, sore for a day or two, but it wasn't a big one, he saw it in his leg....brushed it off but it had already pounced! Only a baby one so now dramas really. I have had a white tail bite too Jackboots, tht wasn't a nice experience my arm went necrotic large black patch appeared and got bigger and bigger.....but eventually that stopped, I thought I was going to loose my arm (it was my drinking arm too....):wink:. mozzies are defo the bane of my life now, never used to like the taste of me, but they feast on me like hungry like blood suckers now!!!

Porty call round any time and we will let you play with the spiders in the man cave! If you dare.....:eek::shocked:

I have a friend who's an ED nurse and she told me a story of a guy who was diving and had a blue ringed octopus bite him on the stomach as he got out of his wetsuit on deck. Luckily the other guys on the boat knew what it was and what it could do and although they couldn't see the bite wound when he passed out they gave him CPR until they could race to shore. An hour and 40 minutes they kept him alive and an ambulance met them and took him straight to ED. He survived and recalled everything; lying on the deck of the boat while his mates kept him alive.

I don't know if it's apocryphal, you know how these things become distorted but it is plausible.

A guy at work was bitten by a Redback and said he just felt like he had flu for a few days and a bit sick. No time off work, no visit to hospital. I guess it depend on your constitution and the way your body deals with the venom.

Ooouchhhh! How's your nether regions now? :wink:

Hubs has been biten by a redback, sore for a day or two, but it wasn't a big one, he saw it in his leg....brushed it off but it had already pounced! Only a baby one so now dramas really. I have had a white tail bite too Jackboots, tht wasn't a nice experience my arm went necrotic large black patch appeared and got bigger and bigger.....but eventually that stopped, I thought I was going to loose my arm (it was my drinking arm too....):wink:. mozzies are defo the bane of my life now, never used to like the taste of me, but they feast on me like hungry like blood suckers now!!!

Porty call round any time and we will let you play with the spiders in the man cave! If you dare.....:eek::shocked:

Lol. Yep, never region is fine - it was on the bum. On the actual hole. Pretty sore for a bit.

My white tail was on the back - i was driving and felt something fall down the back of my shirt. Bit 4 times down the back. Damned painful with each site badly swollen.

I have a friend who's an ED nurse and she told me a story of a guy who was diving and had a blue ringed octopus bite him on the stomach as he got out of his wetsuit on deck. Luckily the other guys on the boat knew what it was and what it could do and although they couldn't see the bite wound when he passed out they gave him CPR until they could race to shore. An hour and 40 minutes they kept him alive and an ambulance met them and took him straight to ED. He survived and recalled everything; lying on the deck of the boat while his mates kept him alive.

I don't know if it's apocryphal, you know how these things become distorted but it is plausible.

A guy at work was bitten by a Redback and said he just felt like he had flu for a few days and a bit sick. No time off work, no visit to hospital. I guess it depend on your constitution and the way your body deals with the venom.

That story made the news when it happend - i remember it well as we had just encountered one on the beach in Mandurah and my wife thought it was very cute and about to pick it up!

There is no anti venom for the blue ring, so the only treatment is continued CPR.

I agree with the mozzies. Though here at work, snakes have been a BIG issue for the last couple of weeks. We have had loads of puff adders in camp. There a major problem as they dont move away when approached, they just sit there on the path and at night, because we dont have much lighting, there hard to spot. Also had a number of mambas and cobras and one tiger snake. The mambas are scary as the bite has a 100% fatality rate here in Tanazania if not treated in 1 hour and we are a lot more than 1 hour away from treatment

That story made the news when it happend - i remember it well as we had just encountered one on the beach in Mandurah and my wife thought it was very cute and about to pick it up!

There is no anti venom for the blue ring, so the only treatment is continued CPR.

I agree with the mozzies. Though here at work, snakes have been a BIG issue for the last couple of weeks. We have had loads of puff adders in camp. There a major problem as they dont move away when approached, they just sit there on the path and at night, because we dont have much lighting, there hard to spot. Also had a number of mambas and cobras and one tiger snake. The mambas are scary as the bite has a 100% fatality rate here in Tanazania if not treated in 1 hour and we are a lot more than 1 hour away from treatment

And am I right in saying that Mambas will attack? I mean they actually chase you and attack rather than do what most snakes do and flee?

a friend was very ill when bitten by a redback, hit all her muscles, and because she was not sure of the type of spider, anti venom only given when right type of spider known she was told , she proved it was a redback and given the anti venom 24 hrs later. she was very poorly in hospital 2 days and her legs were huge.

do centipedes bite ? had an army of them last time I visited on the path trying to get in.

also the bite on your bum, thought that was a pub joke to us in the UK . that really happened ? what does that spider look like ? I just sit down won't from now on !

a friend was very ill when bitten by a redback, hit all her muscles, and because she was not sure of the type of spider, anti venom only given when right type of spider known she was told , she proved it was a redback and given the anti venom 24 hrs later. she was very poorly in hospital 2 days and her legs were huge.

do centipedes bite ? had an army of them last time I visited on the path trying to get in.

also the bite on your bum, thought that was a pub joke to us in the UK . that really happened ? what does that spider look like ? I just sit down won't from now on !

The big centipedes bite - you wont see them in Perth, but common in the bush.

Yes, the bite (sting to the bum was real) It was a small scorpion. Must have been under the toilet seat when i sat down. Happened last swing

Freaking me out now that you've all got a story to tell plus kids are freaked out cos their Dad thought it would be a great idea for them to watch Australia's Most Deadliest on NatGeoWild! One of my sons who loves collecting insects and jellies and has a Bug Club at school and a Jelly Club at the beach is now really not sure we should move to Australia!

Edited by Lou8670

One of my sons who loves collecting insects and jellies and has a Bug Club at school and a Jelly Club at the beach

Yeah, er, don't do this. Seriously, just don't. My kids aren't scared of them but neither do they take unnecessary risk and they wouldn't pick up any bug or sea creature without our approval.

My son picked up a Blue Bottle off the beach and got a sting on his wrist even though it was long dead. It's a mistake that could have been a lot more serious but it was a valuable lesson.

Freaking me out now that you've all got a story to tell plus kids are freaked out cos their Dad thought it would be a great idea for them to watch Australia's Most Deadliest on NatGeoWild! One of my sons who loves collecting insects and jellies and has a Bug Club at school and a Jelly Club at the beach is now really not sure we should move to Australia!

Yeah, def do not do this in Oz. A significant number of the insects can land you in hospital. The jelly fish here will certainly land you in hospital. My dog was on the beach and just walked on a dead tiny bit of tenticle from a jelly fish and landed up in the vets for a couple of days. Over in QLD they even have a shell found on the beaches that kills.

In WA we have the blue ringed octopus, often found in rock pools - tiny little thing and very beautiful to look at. Particularly when they flash the blue rings. But, one of the most venomous creatures on the planet

Best thing to do is teach the kids not to pick up or handle any wild life. I have had to stop a newly arrived family from going to pick up a baby snake - it was only a few centimeters long. But it was a tiger snake baby - one of the most deadly in the world and the babies carry the same venom as the adults.

Dont start thinking that your going to be attacked by hoards of deadly animals - most people will never come across anything. But do be sensible and teach your kids not to pick up or touch anything.

If you are going to live out of the city / big suburbs, then do take standard precautions. Dont wander through bush or long grass. Stay on paths in bashland areas. We also keep the number handy for the snake catcher. The wife has it in her mobile

Yeah, def do not do this in Oz. A significant number of the insects can land you in hospital. The jelly fish here will certainly land you in hospital.

In WA we have the blue ringed octopus, often found in rock pools - tiny little thing and very beautiful to look at. Particularly when they flash the blue rings. But, one of the most venomous creatures on the planet

Best thing to do is teach the kids not to pick up or handle any wild life.

I'm not sure my my youngest son wants to come to Australia at all now! :eek:

Seriously though, he is fascinated by nature and now knows heaps of stuff about the deadliest insects, snakes and jellies in Australia so I he won't be playing with any of them when we're there!

Edited by Lou8670