Places to avoid around mandurah area for rentals

Hi all,

We as a family of 3 arrived in mandurah just over a week ago, we are in a holiday rental for the next 3 weeks but at present we are looking for long term accommodation and my question is what places should we avoid in trying to secure a rental, our first choice to rent would be meadow springs but wether we can secure rental there maybe a different story due to availability etc. any info would be great. Thanks in advance

Not sure I have heard to avoid Falcon and Greenfields by Estate Agents when we where there on reccie a few weeks ago!! But everyone seems to fall in love with Meadow Springs good job there is alot of development going on there by Golf Course lol!!

Ah ok, Think we may take your advice. Lol, Are you coming back out to WA. ?

Yes to Meadow Springs asap!! Yes we loved it there and cannot wait to start our new life, enrolled kids at Frederick Irwin whilst we where there!! There where anotehr couple fo areas we were told that were not so good but I cannot think of them off the top of my head, we went to Estate Agents there and they where really helpful and will tell which are the best areas but I would stick to Meadow Springs, Halls Head if you can.

Yes to Meadow Springs asap!! Yes we loved it there and cannot wait to start our new life, enrolled kids at Frederick Irwin whilst we where there!! There where anotehr couple fo areas we were told that were not so good but I cannot think of them off the top of my head, we went to Estate Agents there and they where really helpful and will tell which are the best areas but I would stick to Meadow Springs, Halls Head if you can.

Have you guys got accommodation already in place for your return ? If you don't mind me asking are you coming over with a trade ? Yea we have been looking in meadow springs it's lovely there , we have applied for one house but not heard back yet , why is everything a waiting game we done enough of this waiting on our visa ha ha .

No we have not got accomodation sorted yet as we dont know how long it will be yet, yes watiing game!! Yes we are now coming out on 489 visa with hubbys trade we were coming out on 190 with hubbys trade but could not get enough points on IELTS test, came out on reccie to look at regional areas for work and schools and they seemed very good in Mandurah, so started the 489 visa whist on reccie!! Hope to be back there by new school year in Feb!! How old are/is your child/children??

No we have not got accomodation sorted yet as we dont know how long it will be yet, yes watiing game!! Yes we are now coming out on 489 visa with hubbys trade we were coming out on 190 with hubbys trade but could not get enough points on IELTS test, came out on reccie to look at regional areas for work and schools and they seemed very good in Mandurah, so started the 489 visa whist on reccie!! Hope to be back there by new school year in Feb!! How old are/is your child/children??

Your hubby ain't a carpenter by any chance is he ? As your situation sounds a mirror image of ours, I didn't score to high in IELTS and I refused to do it again so 489 it was, we have a little girl who just turned 3 last week , so far all so good. :-)

No hubby is Construction Site Manager, what did you guys do then? Glad your enjoying and have come out with smaller child, mine are 16 and 13, I would have come out 10 years ago, but hubby was not ready, then turned 40 last year (mid life crisis!!) and decided he was ready, only advantage is 10 years later we are financially alot better and will be leaving our 3 other houses on rent here but selling our main house to use money to buy in Oz!!

No hubby is Construction Site Manager, what did you guys do then? Glad your enjoying and have come out with smaller child, mine are 16 and 13, I would have come out 10 years ago, but hubby was not ready, then turned 40 last year (mid life crisis!!) and decided he was ready, only advantage is 10 years later we are financially alot better and will be leaving our 3 other houses on rent here but selling our main house to use money to buy in Oz!!

Aw cool, I'm a carpenter and my wife works in social care, ( I'm on her page hence the name ) lol yea I actually just took a job offshore in the uk so I have a bit of a commute until I find something over here, however at least it's an income until I find something permenant here and as you say with my daughter being 3 it made perfect sense to make the move when we did . Good luck on ur progress. :-)

Don't completely write of Greenfields, there are two parts of it. The area around Victoria Circle is quite nice, a lot of houses have big gardens. The nearer the train station you get with Greenfields then you may want to be a little bit wary. You can tell by the cost of the rentals as well as to what parts of Mandurah and surrounding areas are nice and what ones are to avoid.

As I have said before, our first choice when we moved here 5 years ago was Meadow Springs, but the lack of schools back then put us off and we ended up in Halls Head. Now, with the new school in MS, its a very popular choice for new arrivals.

They have just started to develop 2 new areas for houses as well, one just north of Lakelands and the other is over the train line, opposite Lakelands.

Coodanup should be avoided.

Falcon in most parts is fine. There are a lot of beach shacks there, but also a fair bit of new housing and it has the big plus of Falcon Bay. Also handy for the shops at Miami (and the new pub that is being built).

Then there is the mossie issue to consider. Some ignore it, but personally i would not live on the canals or close to the Peel

Coodanup should be avoided.

Falcon in most parts is fine. There are a lot of beach shacks there, but also a fair bit of new housing and it has the big plus of Falcon Bay. Also handy for the shops at Miami (and the new pub that is being built).

Then there is the mossie issue to consider. Some ignore it, but personally i would not live on the canals or close to the Peel

I'm glad someone's stuck up for Falcon, we've not been here long not really qualified to say, but I really like Falcon, I like how it's actually Australian lol, if u know what I mean. I love the mix of the mansions and the beach shacks, wide roads and larger blocks. Of course the beach is a massive plus, but guess it gets too busy in the summer months. We regularly walk down from Seascapes and really like it. Socially though I have no idea, but surely with all the expensive housing it can't be that bad can it? Apart from the local tow-rags who robbed the Caltex garage.

We have been up the road in Dawesville for 5 years - on The Cut golf course - and if there was an area that we would look at as an alternative it is Falcon. The beach never gets too busy - not packed, but nicely popular. It is great for swimming as the beach in Dawesville is great for me as i like body boarding. But too many big waves for swimming.

Love it there too! Lol. We were fishing there the other week, saw loads of dolphins. Are the mozzies bad there or are they worse on the estuary side? My OH and my daughter are dark skinned and seem to get eaten alive, always do when we are in Europe so think its got something to do with their type of skin, me and my son are fair skinned and don't seem to get bitten as much.

we keep driving down and having a look round, we looking for more spacious blocks, some of them are tiny in seascapes, my back garden at home was bigger than some of them. We are going to the open day at the surf club on Sunday, trying to get the kids into it, except one swims like a fish, the other a brick! So should be fun.

No, the mozzies are fine there - well, as good as they can be. The other side of the Old Coast road is where there bad. We have enough sea breeze to help keep them away.

Yep, skin colour can be an issue - they are attracted to dark colours. But, a lot of people that think their not being bitten actually are - its just their skin isnt reacting to the bite. It is best in the summer to wear repellent - particularly at night. Dont forget, they can carry Ross River.

Sea Scapes is nice, but yes, the blocks are tiny. The Cut is nice, but the blocks are expensive.

The surf club is fun - the kids will love it. At christmas they have santa arrive by jet ski on christmas day morning.

I am looking forward now to getting home. Only another 11 days

Hi, I have just re-sat my IELTS, for the fourth go, I missed out by one point last time get my results next Friday, can't bare to do it again. I am now thinking of going for the 489, Mandurah is looking like a great option over Peth, good to hear people are enjoying living there.

has anyone regretted going on a 489 visa as apposed to keep trying with the effing IELTS?.

Chris

Hi, I have just re-sat my IELTS, for the fourth go, I missed out by one point last time get my results next Friday, can't bare to do it again. I am now thinking of going for the 489, Mandurah is looking like a great option over Peth, good to hear people are enjoying living there.

has anyone regretted going on a 489 visa as apposed to keep trying with the effing IELTS?.

Chris

Mandurah is a good option. But it does depend on what you do for a living. It isnt Perth - it doesnt have things like big companies and corporate offices. I have seen lots of people go with the 489 due to ILETS problems.

Hi, Not sure if this applies to the 489 visa, but i know that WA have recently announced that as of Feb 2014 (new school term), they are going to start charging $4000 per child school fees for anyone with children on the 457 visa. Might be worth checking out if the same applies to any other 4 year visa's.

Theres also Erskine and Wannanup to consider both lovely anything south of Halls Head lovely want to move back to that area hate Secret Harbour wish it had remained a secret ...............

Really Elfie? Someone said to us the other day that the beach there is fab, one of the best in the area. Not been there yet to be honest, haven't really felt the need as we are liking Mandurah and as you say anything south of Halls Head is appealing to us at the moment. We aren't in a rush to buy at the moment, so having a great time driving around getting familiar with the local areas. But have to say, loving what I'm seeing.

Really Elfie? Someone said to us the other day that the beach there is fab, one of the best in the area. Not been there yet to be honest, haven't really felt the need as we are liking Mandurah and as you say anything south of Halls Head is appealing to us at the moment. We aren't in a rush to buy at the moment, so having a great time driving around getting familiar with the local areas. But have to say, loving what I'm seeing.

Secret Harbour beach not good for little ones very strong under current its more of a surf beach not a swimming one always windy so much so that it whips the sand up and it stings let me tell you it hurts. The beach in Golden Bay is the same ouch ouch. Live here never go to either of them. My hubby bought me a kite way back in the summer yet to be able to fly it in Secret Harbour the wind on beach can be so bad................