Tough decisions!

Hopeful

:wacko:Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. We have been considering emigrating ever since we returned to the UK from living in NZ for a year in 2001. Never really stopped asking ourselves the question..'shall we emigrate then?'. We have 3 children 26, 24, 14, and are a very close family, eldest daughter is married and has just moved out to Perth to live (her husband is a kiwi). We have been talking as a family about us all going to Oz since 2011 and though I've been very fortunate on the job front both thoroughly enjoying my work and progressing well, we have now got to the stage in our lives where our age is about to go against us if we wish to pursue emigration and don't do it now, I'm 49 and my husband 54. We have now reached the point where we need to be very proactive and as such I applied and had a telephone interview this week for a job in Perth that nicely fits with my experience and skills. Our only route in is on the employer nomination scheme so the offer of a job is essential. So whilst I am waiting to hear if I have been successful or not we are wondering how quickly things usually progress once you have a job offer if anyone can comment on it?

Additionally looking at all the costs associated just with the move (flights, visas, containers, dog transportation costs etc etc) we are really questioning if it is a cost effective thing to do at our time of life?.....I have to say at this point that our 24yr old daughter wants to come with us too so our family would be together and not split across the world. Also the biggest pull for myself and my husband is that if our daughters both want to be in Oz then why on earth would we want to stay in england and miss being part of our grandchildrens lives? (not that we have any yet but I don't think it will be long!!)

Feel like I have said alot of nothing here but it all seems quite a stress at the moment- probably because the clock is ticking- the real stress is all about the cost of it all I have to say!

Any pearls of wisdom gratefully recieved!

Hi, I am also new to this forum we are hoping to move in January and like you so much to think about, someone told me today life is not a dress rehearsal so go with your heart! I would say go for it!!!!!!!! You will find lots of information on this forum so many good people happy to pass on their advise and experiences. Good luck and hope it works out for you :biggrin:

Thankyou Madyweli and you are absolutely right, my view is that we have limited time to at least give it a go to get a visa, but the rest of our lives to stay here and think about what it might have been like! What visa are you going out on? Are you sorted with a job?

So much info on here its fab! and it seems people are so quick to respond which is really appreciated when you re sat pondering like we are!!

Good luck with all your plans too!

Thankyou Madyweli and you are absolutely right, my view is that we have limited time to at least give it a go to get a visa, but the rest of our lives to stay here and think about what it might have been like! What visa are you going out on? Are you sorted with a job? So much info on here its fab! and it seems people are so quick to respond which is really appreciated when you re sat pondering like we are!! Good luck with all your plans too!

If you PM me with an e-mail address I will send you an Excel budget sheet that covers most you need to consider.

Guest guest10912
:wacko:Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. We have been considering emigrating ever since we returned to the UK from living in NZ for a year in 2001. Never really stopped asking ourselves the question..'shall we emigrate then?'. We have 3 children 26, 24, 14, and are a very close family, eldest daughter is married and has just moved out to Perth to live (her husband is a kiwi). We have been talking as a family about us all going to Oz since 2011 and though I've been very fortunate on the job front both thoroughly enjoying my work and progressing well, we have now got to the stage in our lives where our age is about to go against us if we wish to pursue emigration and don't do it now, I'm 49 and my husband 54. We have now reached the point where we need to be very proactive and as such I applied and had a telephone interview this week for a job in Perth that nicely fits with my experience and skills. Our only route in is on the employer nomination scheme so the offer of a job is essential. So whilst I am waiting to hear if I have been successful or not we are wondering how quickly things usually progress once you have a job offer if anyone can comment on it?

Additionally looking at all the costs associated just with the move (flights, visas, containers, dog transportation costs etc etc) we are really questioning if it is a cost effective thing to do at our time of life?.....I have to say at this point that our 24yr old daughter wants to come with us too so our family would be together and not split across the world. Also the biggest pull for myself and my husband is that if our daughters both want to be in Oz then why on earth would we want to stay in england and miss being part of our grandchildrens lives? (not that we have any yet but I don't think it will be long!!)

Feel like I have said alot of nothing here but it all seems quite a stress at the moment- probably because the clock is ticking- the real stress is all about the cost of it all I have to say!

Any pearls of wisdom gratefully recieved!

First thing to focus on is the visa. If you do get the job and offer of sponsorship, you need to push for the permanent employer sponsored visa, because likely you would only be offered the 457. Your situation would be pretty uncertain for four years unless you can get sponsorship for a permanent visa through the direct entry scheme before you are 50. Once you are 50 you would have to spend 4 years on the 457 visa earning more than the "high earnings limit" each year which is about $120k.

What do you do for a living? Are any of the above show stoppers. To get through the permanent employer sponsored stream you would in al probability need a skills assessment, what is your occupation? Can you pass a skills assessment?

The next question is the 24 year old. What does she do? Is she still in education, I guess she is a bit old for that now. If she is not in education, then what is her strategy for getting a visa.

Good questions Rupert, thanks for that.

I'm a health care manager, registered nurse by registration, currently got eating disorders, mental health and prison healthcare as my areas of responsibility.

Whats a show stopper?

Thanks for the tip on the visa, I know we are tight on time but didn't realise about the 457 expectations re the high earnings what does that mean? is it that to keep it for the 4 years you have to reach the $120kpa and then what? Will def push for a perm if i get the opportunity dont want to give everything up here to end up not being able to stay if we got there.

24yr old got a 2:1 events and marketing degree, she worked for Rio Tinto at the London Olympics so shes thinking she would apply for a working visa initially but could apply for a employer nominated visa and may contact some contacts she has from the Olympics and see if they can help her- she also has a NZ boyfriend so may do a bit of travelling first.

Guest guest10912
Good questions Rupert, thanks for that.

I'm a health care manager, registered nurse by registration, currently got eating disorders, mental health and prison healthcare as my areas of responsibility.

Whats a show stopper?

Thanks for the tip on the visa, I know we are tight on time but didn't realise about the 457 expectations re the high earnings what does that mean? is it that to keep it for the 4 years you have to reach the $120kpa and then what? Will def push for a perm if i get the opportunity dont want to give everything up here to end up not being able to stay if we got there.

24yr old got a 2:1 events and marketing degree, she worked for Rio Tinto at the London Olympics so shes thinking she would apply for a working visa initially but could apply for a employer nominated visa and may contact some contacts she has from the Olympics and see if they can help her- she also has a NZ boyfriend so may do a bit of travelling first.

You do not need to be earning $120k for your 457 temporary visa. But this is a temporary visa and you clearly would want to move to a permanent visa.

If you do not get a permanent visa before you are 50 years old, then the rules get much stricter. For any employer to sponsor you, you would need to work for that employer for four years on the 457 visa and for each of those years you would have to have earned more than the high earnings threshold which is in the region of $120k.

If this is not a likely salary in your occupation, then you *MUST* find an employer who will sponsor you for PR before you are 50 as otherwise there will be no way you can progress to a PR visa.

When are you 50? Have you started a skills assessment process yet?

ahhh I see, well salary is touching that, I'm 50 in april and no i've not started a skills assessment yet- have been holding off but think need to get skates on if wanting to make it a reality- whats the timescales on skills assessments for nurses do you know? I was told at an expo it can often all move very quickly for nurses?

ahhh I see, well salary is touching that, I'm 50 in april and no i've not started a skills assessment yet- have been holding off but think need to get skates on if wanting to make it a reality- whats the timescales on skills assessments for nurses do you know? I was told at an expo it can often all move very quickly for nurses?

I think people are saying about 16 weeks for the skills assessment - you will also need to apply for AHPRA for the registration. The ANMAC will send your documents onto AHPRA but i'm not sure if AHPRA will send them to the ANMAC

Guest guest10912

Salary touching the high income threshold won't be enough, it has to be in excess of it every year and in fact I just checked and it is currently $129,300. Even if you did exceed this, four years is a long time to wait on a temporary visa without knowing if you will ever get a permanent visa, which will still be dependent upon your employer choosing to sponsor you.

So yes you absolutely need to get your skates on with the skills assessment, you have not got the luxury of time. Get the skills assessment even with no job offer on the horizon, then at least it is there and you are ready to go. Most employers will not opt to sponsor for PR straight away, so not having the skills assessment lined up will make it even harder to convince one that they could do.

Expos just look to get nurses over as quickly as possible on temporary visas and they don't give a damn about whether that is a suitable visa for the individual or not.

Time is most certainly against you and this will likely be a difficult journey for you all but not impossible.

It is a good time to be in healthcare in Perth, lots of expansion but I'd be pushing any employer for a permanent visa but I'm no expert and don't know how viable this is.

There are plenty of folk on here who are better placed to advise, Rupert being one.

Good luck but even with a positive interview I'd be pursuing other opportunities, particularly somewhere like Fiona Stanley or New Children's Hospitals. Both projects are progressing but I would also ensure I had a contract before making any kind of move. I have friends who have been successful at interview, offered posts, been through reference checks only to find the funding has been pulled and there's no post to go to.

thanks for the positive words portlaunay- cant tell you how much I have learnt in the last 12 hours! should have been aware it wasnt as simple as getting a job offer :shocked:

But staying positive- booked IELTS, know what I have to do to register my nursing quals, though not sure it will be relevant to do so, useful to have though.

Does anyone know if being registered with the New Zealand Nursing Council holds any validity?

Jobs wise looks like its a good time with the developments that are being implemented fingers crossed things will work out!

Edited by Hopeful

I would also be looking carefully at your daughters likelihood of gaining a visa for Oz if part of your reasoning is an assumption she will be moving as well.

Gaining sponsorship in the area she has worked in would be extremely difficult. For example, Rio in Perth are still making redundancies from their corporate office.

'Though New Zealand nurses and midwives registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand and the Midwifery Council of New Zealand may apply for registration under the National Law, they are also eligible to apply for registration under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Arrangement (TTMRA)'

This is what has confused me Ali? What does the bit about National Law mean?