We Are Here!!!!

Sapper59

Hello, All.

Well, after something of a proverbial emotional roller coaster, we are finally here in sunny Perth (it rained today - what is that all about?).

Sorting our affairs in UK, packing the container and travelling here has been reasonably chaotic, so it is great to be here now. We still have lots to do and whilst some administrative tasks such as opening bank accounts, getting tax codes, Medicare etc seem a little long winded, we are getting there. Job hunting next!

We are really pleased to be here and I would like to thank all of the fellow PerthPom-ers who have provided excellent advice during our preparations - keep it coming, please!

The whirlwind of moving has meant that I haven't been on PP lately, but I will be using it again now as we start looking for a rental property, comparing utilities etc.

To those who are considering making the move or those who are part way through the process and having wobbles, I would say 'go for it', although it is early days for us and our view may obviously change. I can hear the waves crashing on the beach as I type this so things can't be too bad - 'mustn't grumble'!!!:biggrin:

So, in summary, life is good (although my body clock is clearly shot to bits, and hence posting at 0345 local) and thanks to PP-ers for advice.

Cheers,

S.

Well, after something of a proverbial emotional roller coaster, we are finally here in sunny Perth (it rained today - what is that all about?).

Welcome to Perth, let us know how you get on.

As for the weather, wettest September for 40 years. The garden looks great but I must admit I'm over it now. Showers today but tomorrow is at least going to see some sun though it's only forecast to hit 20 deg.

Thanks for the welcome messages everyone.

We are staying in Scarborough. I got up and went for a run/plod along the coastal path this morning - it was awesome!

The sun is out and it's time for some exploring, as well as ticking things off the 'To Do List' - NAB Account today.

Regards,

S and Family.

Hi Sapper.

Welcome to perth! We've been here a whole 10 days and loving it so far. Hopefully you'll find opening an account easy, we're with NAB and they've been great so far. Our cards were waiting for us at the branch and already been upgraded to debit cards. There's a good iPhone app to track your accounts.

Apply for the TFN online, it really easy. Medicare is also pretty straight forward but you must take a printed copy of your visa.. Don't go with your passport and expect them to accept it!

Let us know how you get on.

Hi, Redsquare,

The lady at NAB was really helpful and issued our cards - one small outstanding issue with my internet account for some weird reason - ghosts in the machine? The NAB Account Manager gave us loads of good general tips and we are now going to book an appointment with a financial planning advisor at NAB.

Medicare cards tomorrow - thanks for the tip regarding the printed copy of the Visa which we will certainly take with us.

Looking for a longer term rental property is also high on the long list of jobs to do.

Regards,

S.

Good Luck Sapper.

We have just this afternoon finished our packing. We have 6 bags for two of us and are still 6kgs over - I know the kitchen sink is in there somewhere!:eek: We leave tomorrow and are now excited to get going.

Thanks for the tips.

That's my fear! With validating in just 2 weeks time I've been toying with leaving a load of stuff in Oz with my SIL as we usually keep to 2 or 3 bags for the 5 of us (although this is getting increasingly more difficult as the children grow!), and so I've borrowed a couple of bags from my MiL. Just don't know whether to take more and leave it there or not!?! It could be another 12 months before we make the permanent move :eek:

Good Luck Lorraine! Glad you're starting to feel a little excited now! :)

Edited by Lou8670

Good Luck Sapper.

We have just this afternoon finished our packing. We have 6 bags for two of us and are still 6kgs over - I know the kitchen sink is in there somewhere!:eek: We leave tomorrow and are now excited to get going.

Thanks for the tips.

Happy travels!! 3weeks left for us.......excited (i think)!

Candygirl and All,

We brought everything and the kitchen sink (8 cases, some Air Freight etc) - I wouldn't be surprised if we actually have 2 kitchen sinks with us! We booked through IOM to get extra baggage (weight) allowance, but still went OTT. After chatting with the very nice lady who checked us in for our flight, our excess baggage charge was very reasonable. We have probably brought too much stuff, but figured that roughing it out of a couple of suitcases for 10-12 weeks whilst awaiting the arrival of the container was not a great option, especially as our Darling Daughter starts school next week. Our luggage included quite a lot of toiletries and meds that are much more expensive over here, so on balance it has worked out fine.

It will always be difficult knowing what to pack and what to put into your container, but I wouldn't worry too much - just make sure that you have any personal/nice items (especially for children) to reduce the stress/emotional effects of the move and sufficient necessities to last the first couple of weeks. Everything is available here in the shops, although some things tend to be expensive and I would say that you need to shop around more here to find stuff - there doesn't seem to be the 'Tescos Super Duper Extra Mega World Domination Store' ethos here (which is no bad thing in my opinion!).

We had to get a 'Maxi Taxi' from the Airport to get all of our suitcases in and have had to be creative with storage in the holiday apartment that we are in until we find a longer term rental, but again no real dramas and we are now pretty well set up for the next few weeks after a bit of an admin frenzy yesterday.

So, all is going well for us. Body clocks are not yet fully adjusted and hence why I am up in the early hours again and we still have lots to do, but I can still here the waves on the beach and life is good!

All the best,

S.

Thanks for the offer of advice - any pearls of wisdom gratefully accepted!

On mobile phones, I have a Pre-Pay Telstra SIM which I topped up with $20 which was used in a day after 15mins calls and 2 texts!!! I subsequently found out that I needed to change to a different plan and top up more than $30 dollars to get the 'bonuses' - you live and learn. The whole mobile thing seems very complex and expensive over here - I certainly need to get my head around it.

Regards,

S.

Hi Sapper59

We arrived 12 weeks ago and now have our long term rental in Scarborough, we love it here in Scarborough, it feels like we are close to everything that we need. What school is your daughter going to? All three of mine settled into school really quick. My two youngest go to Doubleview Primary and my eldest goes to Churchlands Senior High. The Wild Fig on the front is lovely, especially of an evening with a glass of wine, rug over your lap watching the sun going down. Regarding the phones my husband got the Amaysim for $2 and then added on, I on a Vodaphone contract as I dropped and broke my phone two weeks after arriving. Both plans seems ok and we have not had problems with black spots or anything.

It seems as if you have settled really well.

Sarah

Hi,

Which are the best mobile networks to use in OZ?

I will be using 2 phones, 1 - for making international calls to talk to parents and friends back home - Will be using just to make calls and some text service (minimum of some 10-15 calls in a month) and 2 - for local use, like good internet package with call tariff. Please suggest which two to choose for my requirement?

Hello, All.

Sorting our affairs in UK, packing the container and travelling here has been reasonably chaotic, so it is great to be here now. We still have lots to do and whilst some administrative tasks such as opening bank accounts, getting tax codes, Medicare etc seem a little long winded, we are getting there. Job hunting next!

We are really pleased to be here and I would like to thank all of the fellow PerthPom-ers who have provided excellent advice during our preparations - keep it coming, please!

The whirlwind of moving has meant that I haven't been on PP lately, but I will be using it again now as we start looking for a rental property, comparing utilities etc.

To those who are considering making the move or those who are part way through the process and having wobbles, I would say 'go for it', although it is early days for us and our view may obviously change. I can hear the waves crashing on the beach as I type this so things can't be too bad - 'mustn't grumble'!!!:biggrin:

So, in summary, life is good (although my body clock is clearly shot to bits, and hence posting at 0345 local) and thanks to PP-ers for advice.

Cheers,

S.

Congratulations Sapper! Glad 'life is good' and hopefully your body clock is starting to sort itself out now :)