Advice on moving to Perth

GrantandLinds

Hi All

First of all I'd like you introduce our self's. We are a married coulple grant and lindsay from yorkshire, We are seriously looking into moving to perth Oz.

From the research we have done Perth is more a family location. Our plan would be to start a family when we eventually get there.

We are both looking into training for a new occupation in order for us to gain access to Oz. I am a very keen photographer. What I would like to know is, are there any recognised qualifications that are applicable in Oz that would be accepted on the SOL list. My wife is looking into a beauty therapy qualification, again what qualification would she need that would be accepted in Oz. I mainly have an office based back ground, call centre, telemarketing, sales, customer service and mainly in the insurance sector, would a Cert II In Insurance gain me access? My wife also comes from an office based background and currently works for a large IT company.

Any help on this matter or any other would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Grant & Lindsey

I am not too sure with regards to the Insurance Industry, however Lindsey being in IT could work, have you got any qualifications in IT or is it just office based? getting certificates is good however you will need to have experience too. I am very very new to Perth 2 weeks in fact!!! have you looked at the anzsco list www.immi.gov.au/employers/anzsco/anzsco-code.htm Will you be coming out on a 457 visa (Employer Sponsorship)? Me and my husband took a big risk and came out here on a 6 month tourist visa at the beginning of October we stayed in Sydney for a month I'm 48 and he is 51 I am a registered Aged Care Manager which is quite sought after here but I am finding it hard TBH but am getting more interest being out here it's almost impossible back in the UK :-( my husband has 35 years experience as a painter and decorator and he is too getting interest in a sponsorship. Clearly I know very little and I'm sure someone will be able to give you both more advice. I think the may rule of thumb is that you have to prove you have skills that cannot be filled by Australians. I hope this has been of help and I wish you both the best of luck......Oh and Perth is very family orientated I love it here and I'm sure you both will too....... Best Wishes Donna

Thanks Donna, Its just very hard to see what jobs are in demand as it states on the list that not all jobs qualify? Is it worth re training or are we dreaming and wasting our time? we would love to raise a family in perth, The UK is in such a state and its only getting worse! WHAT DO WE NEED TO DO TO GET TO OZ! AARRGGHHH. lol

Your wife or yourself is best joining the Police or training to be a nurse or teacher if you can…..I can't see that these jobs will ever go out of demand and will still be on the list I reckon when you qualify….it is hard to say what to retrain in as the list changes all the time :wacko:

The problem is that the list changes all the time and it's not just the qualification but the experience needed to pass the skills assessment. Police recruitment is only every so often, nursing has remained on the list for a while (although noticed for state sponsorship it was limited on the last list).

have a look at the SOL and CSOL on http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/ as these are the occupations in demand currently. The ones on the CSOL require sponsorship from either a state or an employer. The current list of occupations that WA are sponsoring is on http://www.migration.wa.gov.au. the ones that have shedule 2 next to them mean you have to have a job offer to apply.

Check the lists and see if photographer is on the list. If it is, then you need to examine what is required to pass the skills assessment. But, as already pointed out, there is a risk it comes off the list. You should also be aware, this is not going to be a short proses. Most occupations require several years experience in order to pass the assessment. Maybe it is worth having a chat with a migration agent? If so, go Matilda are highly regarded.