WA driving licence

Plimthing

For all those coming over ( or just arrived) on a 457 visa, you DO NOT need a WA driving licence. It is only a legal requirement if you have permanent residency and you will have 3 months from the issue of PR.

So maybe i have just saved some of you $125 + $35 transfer fee.

I discovered this yesterday from the horses mouth whilst i was getting mine ( i need one for driving at the airport).

For all the clever cloggs out there, you still need a UK driving licence though!! Or licence from another recognised country.

I accept beer as a thank you payment...

Yep, but as phil says, a WA drivers licence is a main for of ID.

The other thing to remember here is that you MUST carry your licence when ever you drive. It is a criminal offence if pulled over not to have it with you.

+1 for getting a WA driving licence, so much easier for ID purposes and they ask for it everywhere, we got one when we were on a working holiday visa!

Didn't know that verystormy - I got stopped for doing a u-turn at traffic lights and didn't have anything on me (didn't take my purse so no ID at all) and they never mentioned it whilst they were handing over my ticket!

+1 for getting a WA driving licence, so much easier for ID purposes and they ask for it everywhere, we got one when we were on a working holiday visa!

Didn't know that verystormy - I got stopped for doing a u-turn at traffic lights and didn't have anything on me (didn't take my purse so no ID at all) and they never mentioned it whilst they were handing over my ticket!

I didnt know either until i was stopped in a random stop one day and didnt have it. Luckily i played the new dumb immigrant and he let me off! Likewise people need to be aware that if you have a bump - even a minor one, you must inform the police - i believe there is a special web site for doing so