Changes in AHPRA registration finalisation

shelz

Hi,

I have posted a few times before but though i would update and see if anyone else can shed any light -

I am in the UK and have been offered to finalise my registration my end Feb 14 by attending AHPRA office with ID, I would also complete stat declaration for temporary address (aka holiday accomodation), be travelling on a visitor visa for 1 week then returning to the UK to then complete modified skills assessment then apply for PR visa.

This was the plan until i got an email this morning saying i need to finalise my registartion by end Feb14, but could do this by producing ID documents for international documents then I would NOT need to attend an office in person.

So heres the confusion... Category A - overseas passport AND a valid visa (visitor visa acceptable), Category B international driving licience, Category C bank statement, Category D mortgage statement, utility bill etc

I have already submitted all these ID documents with my initial application so im thinking its the 'valid visa' that I am missing....but why would I have a visa if I dont need to travel to finalise my registration by attending in person??? Can I apply for a visitor visa so im 'on the system and send them a refernce number or s

omething', or does a visitor visa only become valid on entry to Australia hence I would still have to fly out????

Seems pointless to apply for a visa if then its not going to be used, if I dont need to attend the office!

Arrgghh the lack of clarity is shocking and its typical i have got the email on a Friday when i wont get a response until next week probably after i emailed them outlining the above and my confusion!

I am also pleased i havent booked and paid for flights yet if indeed i do not have to present in person- has any one else had a similiar email or can shed any light?????:arghh:

Does it say a visitors visa is acceptable? I would have thought eant something like a WHV, PR visa, 457 etc., rather than a tourist visa ... but you never know win future th AHPRA

Hi,

I managed to clarify from my case worker that I dont need to fly over after all which I think is great, I still need to get a visitor visa and re-do my ID again but I jyst need to post all this off once its certified with a copy of my visa and get my pin number finalised :-)

Ali I am only at the stage of getting my pin number and dont plan on moving over until another year or so x

Hopefully this turns out okay then I can get on with my modified skills assessment - pleased I can put what I would have been spending on a flight to pop over towards visa costs -

Guest peasknees

Hi Shelz

Please can you provide me with more information on this? I can't find anything on their website but I could just be being daft.

I am in a really similar situation to you, I don't want to move till this time next year, but I have been told that I need to attend an APHRA office in person by mid March. However I am with the Adelaide office.

I haven't heard anything about the changes till I saw your post, any help you can give would be much appreciated, hopefully I can come to a similar arrangement with my case officer.

Thank you!

Hi Shelz

Please can you provide me with more information on this? I can't find anything on their website but I could just be being daft.

I am in a really similar situation to you, I don't want to move till this time next year, but I have been told that I need to attend an APHRA office in person by mid March. However I am with the Adelaide office.

I haven't heard anything about the changes till I saw your post, any help you can give would be much appreciated, hopefully I can come to a similar arrangement with my case officer.

Thank you!

Hi peasknees,

I got an email from my case worker a couple of weeks ago saying I don't have to present in person if I can provide all my ID and proof of a visa, visitor is acceptable. I am just photocopying everything today and then get it cerftified and will post it off in next couple of weeks. There doesn't seem to be anything onAHPRA s website, this came directly from my case officier at the Perth office. I will let u know how I get on in next few weeks x maybe u can email ur case worker ?? Let me know how u get on x

• 4 weeks later...
Hi peasknees,

I got an email from my case worker a couple of weeks ago saying I don't have to present in person if I can provide all my ID and proof of a visa, visitor is acceptable. I am just photocopying everything today and then get it cerftified and will post it off in next couple of weeks. There doesn't seem to be anything onAHPRA s website, this came directly from my case officier at the Perth office. I will let u know how I get on in next few weeks x maybe u can email ur case worker ?? Let me know how u get on x

Hi,

I am going thru the same thing.

I am wondering if it is necessary to submit documents from category D if i could proof my residential address in cateogry B and C?

What I am submitting are passport with valid australia visa, international driving license, my identification card, registration of certificate of nursing board. Are these sufficient?

I do not have any proof for category D as I am living with my mum, all utility bills are under her name.

Hi,

I am going thru the same thing.

I am wondering if it is necessary to submit documents from category D if i could proof my residential address in cateogry B and C?

What I am submitting are passport with valid australia visa, international driving license, my identification card, registration of certificate of nursing board. Are these sufficient?

I do not have any proof for category D as I am living with my mum, all utility bills are under her name.

Hi Lixian,

Not sure if you have sorted this out already but have you tried emailing your case officier to query this - the only thing i can think of is maybe getting your Mum to complete a letter advising AHPRA that you are resident with her and are unable to provide the mortgage/rent statement and send additional documents maybe with your name and address on, to help to prove you are resident there?? Also dont forget to get it all notified before sending it off.

Did you also get an email saying you didnt need to attend in person??

AHPRA have received my stuff 2 weeks ago and now im waiting...... still dont know if it will all be accepted without me travelling over yet and my deadline is at the end of this month! Wish they would hurry up- im stuck to my phone keep checking my emails every hour lol

Hi Lixian,

Not sure if you have sorted this out already but have you tried emailing your case officer to query this - the only thing i can think of is maybe getting your Mum to complete a letter advising AHPRA that you are resident with her and are unable to provide the mortgage/rent statement and send additional documents maybe with your name and address on, to help to prove you are resident there?? Also don't forget to get it all notified before sending it off.

Did you also get an email saying you didn't need to attend in person??

AHPRA have received my stuff 2 weeks ago and now im waiting...... still don't know if it will all be accepted without me travelling over yet and my deadline is at the end of this month! Wish they would hurry up- im stuck to my phone keep checking my emails every hour lol

Just to update you all - I have received my notification today that my AHPRA registration has been finalised!!!:biggrin: Im sooo pleased, and i didn't need to fly accross especially:-)

thanks shelz. and congratulation!

I have sent in my doc. as well to AHPRA perth. Have checked with my registration officer that if my documents in category B has my residential address then I need not produce further doc. for category B.

I have not received any emails from them requesting for more proof of identity *finger crossed*, so i suppose things should be fine.. =)

Hey! Just wondering if anyone can help me, AHPRA have taken a payment, does that mean they do not need anymore info off me or is this just the start of journey?!

Just start of the journey and they have recieved your document! - fingers crossed for you it all runs smoothly :-)

That's great news Shelz can I ask how long it took you from sending off for Aphra registration to getting it finalised and do you apply specifically to perth office. Cheers

Hi Steve,

It took me a while as I originally sent my application off in November 2012!!, they emailed me in February 2013 to offer me to finalise my registration go and present in person by the end of February 2014. I presume the rules changed about January 2014 as i got an email saying i could now finalise without presenting in person - and so thats what I did :-) I am still in UK as yet and hopefully looking at getting accross 2015.

I did apply directly to the Perth office as I was researching WA for emigrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahpra is a total and utter nightmare!!! I started my application last sept when still in uk. They took my money in oct. I moved to wa jan 2014 and am still waiting. I'm an experienced nurse/hv and have been offered 2 jobs here but can't start till ahpra reg thru. They don't care despite the govt committing to more nurses and the new Fiona Stanley hospital having vacancies still to fill. Very frustrating !!!

Hi guys,

I am not looking to start my visa application until next January, but was wondering whether I should start my AHPRA application just now? Seems to take a while to get everything finalised? I do not find their website very clear, how long do I have between my registration being finalised and having to go over?

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Cx

Hi. If I was you I would start to gather your information together as there is so much to get. I suspect ahpra may bring out more info soon coz they've just changed the info they require from international applicants. I agree it's not very straightforward/clear. You can email them and ask them re the timescale. I applied last sept and still waiting - I've been in Australia since January!!! I've got no idea what's going on with my application despite emailing , phoning, requesting a meeting!!! Sorry to be so doom and gloom but apparently they re desperate for nurses!!! Mmmmm!

Thanks CarolD,

You would think they would make the process alot easier and not a long winded if they are that desperate for nurses. I do not understand it, I thought the NMC were bad. I do not think that their website is great at all, seems to take you around in circles. I'll drop them an email instead, thanks for your advice. I think I'll get my registration sorted before applying for my visa, think i'd have palpitations being out there with no job. Hope you get your reg sorted soon.

So far I have to say I am frustrated with both the NMC and AHPRA! I sent off my APHRA reg forms and (foolishly) presumed they would take payment once all forms were present and correct. A week later I was informed that they had taken payment but I didn't have all the required forms so I sourced them (got them certified) and sent them off.

The same day I contacted the NMC for a notice of good practice. Was informed that I needed to await a form in the post to start this process. It arrived a week later, I sent it off and made the payment.

So five days later (today)I contact them asking the status of the forms as AHPRA have said if they don't receive all paperwork by the 20/3/14 they will withdraw my application (!!) to be told that they won't have received that paperwork yet and doubt they will have processed it by 20/3/14.

Nightmare! Sorry, rant over!

My most recent update - called ahpra yesterday for about 20th time. Following changes to their process which were initiated on 10th feb (my application was submitted sept and money taken 4th nov. All docs required were submitted and acknowledged by ahpra as being complete ie nothing else required). I am now informed that because my initial nursing training was modular (not a degree. It was 1987!!!) I may not be eligible to practice in Australia and my application may be rejected. This is despite me having a subsequent degree in community nursing. I have experience in school nursing district nursing and health visiting as well as hospital experience. I am a nurse prescriber. I was a team leader before I moved here and I have been offered two jobs so far - all I am waiting for us ahpra. Can they really change the goalposts for me so late in the day??? They took my money quickly enough. Anyone got some advice that I can give them - polite only cos I know what I really want to tell them to do!!!

That is terrible carol. Have you received the notice that you are eligible to practice yet as after that you show documents of identity and then receive your registration? If they have made the changes after accepting that you are eligible to register then this should not be allowed. Have you spoken to your case officer? I would be taking it to the highest level with ahpra. If that fails I wouldn't give up and apply with the transcript from your degree. Goodluck!

Hi. Not received notice of fit to practice yet!!! I've already given them full notarised transcript of degree. In fact I think they've got everything except my flaming bra size!!! I've had some good advice from a user on this forum and it's reignited my enthusiasm for proceeding with this. I was ready to give up and find a job elsewhere but once a nurse always a nurse and it's such a shame!!! Watch this space!! X