IELTs results

snaik

Just got my results and got an 8.5 overall on acadamic test. With L=9, S=9, R=8 and W=7.5. So although let myself down a bit on the writing I am dead chuffed with the rest. Only prob now is I have to apply for the visa before my 40th birthday cos that 7.5 doesn't get me the extra points on age. never mind that just means I have to get my arse in gear, prob a good thing really!!!!!!

Anyone else get their results today???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mintpro. Immigration take the lowest score as an indication of language ability, so even if you get 9's for listening, speaking and writing and a 7.5 for reading, they go by the 7.5 and you only get 10 points. You need at least straight 8's to get the 20 points. Hope that helps :)

Task 2 of the writing as you probably know is discussing something that has pro's and con's. My question was 'should teachers be in control of lesson content in school or should it remain with the government'?

Firstly I jotted down a few key points to help keep on track.

introduction - basically reworded the question.

Paragraph one - the pro's for teachers choosing lesson content and then the con's.

paragraph two - the pro's for lesson content remaining with government and then the con's.

paragraph three - my thoughts on the subject and what I would like to see.

conclusion.

Don't try to use big words that you can't spell. You lose points for that. Better to use words you're accustomed to and keep your points.

Don't use jargon. You'll lose points for that too.

You can use a pen or a pencil for the writing. I used a pencil so I could erase any errors.

Make sure you keep to the question or it won't flow properly.

Biggy - count your words. You can write and doodle all over the question paper. I counted my words for each paragraph and made a note of them on the question paper. I didn't estimate, I counted every single word. And I'm glad I did as I was something silly like 15 words short at the end. I just threw an extra sentence on at the end. Not having 400 words is a silly way to lose points IMO.

Debs

Hi, I got a book from my library about tips for IELTS for native speakers. The ideas were basically as travelchic put above. If you don't know how to spell it leave it out.

With the disagree/agree paragraphs, if you decide to agree with the statement put this as your 2nd to last paragraph, or the other way around if you disagree with it. It flows so much better into your final conclusion paragraph, rather than chopping back up to paragraph 2 for your conclusion paragraph. Also try and link your paragraphs (however, on the other hand etc). I am still waiting on my results but it did make it easier for me to write on the day and my topic was about taxing industrial companies for the amount of pollution they produce! And definitely count your words and try to only have 15-20 words over the limit. The more words you write, the bigger the chance you spell something wrong or the grammar is wrong etc.

Got mine today and i am gutted. [TABLE]

[TR]

[TH]Overall Band[/TH]

[TH]8.5[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Listening[/TD]

[TD]8.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Reading[/TD]

[TD]9.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Writing[/TD]

[TD]7.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Speaking[/TD]

[TD]9.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I got mine

Overall Band 9.0

Listening 9.0

Reading 8.0

Writing 9.0

Speaking 9.0

Im so happy I don't have to do it again. You should get yours rechecked if your happy you answered everything and you were above the word count.