Dog & Schools .............

sibey32

These are the two things currently constantly churning around in my head!

First the dog - We would first need to move in to a furnished holiday rental for a couple of months while we look for a more permenant rental, although I have found a couple that say pets welcome has anyone had first hand experience of this and did you find you were more limited when then looking for the right rental property? She is a siberian husky so wondering whether because she is a medium breed dog and not say a little shi tzu type size we might find it harder :-(

Second - Kids schools, is it alright to land and then look around schools or do people enrol their children at the schools they think they want them to go to? Do the schools have catchment areas? For instance I think we would be looking at the schools in Butler but what if we couldn't get a holiday rental in their catchment area?

And can anyone tell me what school years my children would be Son - 13 (Dec 2000), Daughter 1 - 11 (Sept 2002) & Daughter 2 - (Aug 2005).

Thanking you all in advance!!!!

(PS for anyone who followed my first thread we are accepting the job offer and 457 visa sponsorship today - scared much aaarrrrggghhhh!)

These are the two things currently constantly churning around in my head!

First the dog - We would first need to move in to a furnished holiday rental for a couple of months while we look for a more permenant rental, although I have found a couple that say pets welcome has anyone had first hand experience of this and did you find you were more limited when then looking for the right rental property? She is a siberian husky so wondering whether because she is a medium breed dog and not say a little shi tzu type size we might find it harder :-(

Second - Kids schools, is it alright to land and then look around schools or do people enrol their children at the schools they think they want them to go to? Do the schools have catchment areas? For instance I think we would be looking at the schools in Butler but what if we couldn't get a holiday rental in their catchment area?

And can anyone tell me what school years my children would be Son - 13 (Dec 2000), Daughter 1 - 11 (Sept 2002) & Daughter 2 - (Aug 2005).

Thanking you all in advance!!!!

(PS for anyone who followed my first thread we are accepting the job offer and 457 visa sponsorship today - scared much aaarrrrggghhhh!)

Most schools you need to be in catchment but they will take you if there is room in that year group. Suggest as soon as your visa is granted you think about your rental. You should be OK as by the time you get to coming it isn't really holiday time.

Your eldest child will be in year 8, your middle year 6 and your youngest year 3.

We arrived in Dec 11 and thanks to Tracy at Oz house rentals we got a pet friendly furnished rental for our Golden Retreiver in Rockingham for a couple of months while we waited for our container to arrive.

things are a lot easier now, the long term rental bubble has burst, but we struggled to get a big dog friendly property long term, we have recently moved house and had no problem getting another long term dog friendly rental.

rentals in Perth have come down in price & there is plenty of choice, I can't comment on schools

• 2 months later...

Hello. We too have a Siberian husky and are thinking of the move, we hope to take him with us but is it possible....who's emigrated with a husky and any advice? What company etc... I do hope it is possible as don't think we could leave without him. Also there's no quarantine in Perth now so more travelling for him I'm worried but he's only 5? Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Hello, can't comment on your husky but we are taking our 8 year old beagle and pet air have been very helpful and we are using them.it is only 10 days quarantine but as you say they have to fly to Sydney then back.cant wait to pick him up and take him to a doggie beach and am sure he will forgive me then!