Recci in May, Where to Stay??

JMG79

Ok Hello fellow Perth Poms,

Need a bit of help or advice?

We are planning a recci in May this year to activate our visas, flights are sorted, car hire easy to sort.

Don’t know where to stay in and around Perth as we have never been there before.

We have not had a holiday for 6 years and have 2 small children 4 and 18 months, so we are looking for somewhere to chill, spend time with the kids, see some sites and check out the work situation, day trip to Perth and go to the beach( I know it will be Autum but we live in Yorkshire so can handle cold water! :smile2:).

Any advice, tips on where to stay, etc would be much appreciated?

We are doing this on a tight budget, im looking for somewhere under a $100 per night, child friendly with space for a rental car and out door space for the kids to run around parks or beach within walking distance.

I have been on all the usual holiday rental sights

Stayz

Oz house rentals (dropped them an e-mail)

Air bnb

And more

When we eventually move we were looking at SOR, all that could change depending on work.

Fremantle

Rockingham

Warnbro

Halls Head

Secret Harbour

Safety Bay

Baldivs

And yes of course Mandurah

But just found a rental in North beach; is this a nice place for a 2-week stay?

Thanks again.

Guest guest9824

We are planning a recci in May this year to activate our visas, flights are sorted, car hire easy to sort.

Don’t know where to stay in and around Perth as we have never been there before.

We have not had a holiday for 6 years and have 2 small children 4 and 18 months, so we are looking for somewhere to chill, spend time with the kids, see some sites and check out the work situation, day trip to Perth and go to the beach( I know it will be Autum but we live in Yorkshire so can handle cold water! :smile2:).

We are doing this on a tight budget, im looking for somewhere under a $100 per night, child friendly with space for a rental car and out door space for the kids to run around parks or beach within walking distance.

Stayz

Air bnb

And more

When we eventually move we were looking at SOR, all that could change depending on work.

Fremantle

Rockingham

Warnbro

Halls Head

Secret Harbour

Safety Bay

Baldivs

Thanks again.

Hello JMG, looks like you have done quite a bit of research already on places to stay. You may not find anywhere for that price, sorry to say, but North Beach is very nice, so I think you will enjoy your stay there, close to the beach etc, nice drive to Scarborough and further down the West Coast drive is City Beach which is lovely too. Have a safe trip and enjoy your reccie.

...just an after thought, have you considered Caravan Parks and Camp Sites, many like Big4 have chalets to stay in on site, and have swimming pools and play areas for the kids too, barbeques and communal kitchens are the norm as well, I think there are several parks dotted inland and coastal wa

www.Big4.com.au

Edited by guest9824
After thought...

Hi

I can recommend the apartment we stayed in for our reccie trip last April. It was in Mosman Park. I'm not sure if I can post the link on here but I found it through stayz. It was $150 a night for a 2 bed apartment with communal pool and secure parking. We loved it, close to local shops, parks, beach and train stations (20 mins into Perth CBD). Kids stayed for free. It's probably not an area we could afford to live in but it was great for a holiday (we were only there for 11 days). It was amazing to be able to have the beach and the river close by. Fremantle is close too. We hired a car and drove to some of the suburbs you mentioned. I really liked Mandurah/Halls Head.

Thanks Peanuts,

Just had a quick look and they are quite pricy, Idealy I was looking to pay around $400-450 a week for somewhere (big ask i know but just gona keep looking), but anywhere in that price range seems to be booked 6 months in advance (allot of demand I guess) S0 may have to increase it to $600ish per week.

I'm gonna look into using them for a night in Bunbury or Geraldton, as I think it would be a little adventure for my daughter.

I would take the tent if I could and camp (so would my daughter), but the wife won't let me.

Going to have a hunt around for other parks and camp sites, im sure somthing will turn up!

any other ideas let me know

Thanks again:smile:

Hi

I can recommend the apartment we stayed in for our reccie trip last April. It was in Mosman Park. I'm not sure if I can post the link on here but I found it through stayz. It was $150 a night for a 2 bed apartment with communal pool and secure parking. We loved it, close to local shops, parks, beach and train stations (20 mins into Perth CBD). Kids stayed for free. It's probably not an area we could afford to live in but it was great for a holiday (we were only there for 11 days). It was amazing to be able to have the beach and the river close by. Fremantle is close too. We hired a car and drove to some of the suburbs you mentioned. I really liked Mandurah/Halls Head.

Thanks Dave,

I will have a look at it, though its out of my budget, but the more research I do the more compremise im makeing, if I can reduce the need for a hire car and use public transport, then I guess I might be able to up the budget on accomodation.

We really liked the look of Mandurah/Halls Head too, but could not find allot of work around that area. I think work will eventually decide where we end up moving too.

Thanks Again

• 3 months later...

Stayz

Air bnb

And more

Fremantle

Rockingham

Warnbro

Halls Head

Secret Harbour

Safety Bay

Baldivs

Thanks again.

hi,

Wondered if you found a good place to stay, we may be over in august for a reccie and need a place too.

Thanks

Aligard, will that be you there for good, or a reccie??

weve booked a gorgeous house for our reccie but it's in ocean reef- were you wanting SOR too? x

Hi bean! It's probably a reccie in august if our house doesn't sell in time for end of October. Not really sure of area either NOR or SOR. We re favouring SOR,but don't know why! For real it will depend on jobs but won't know till we get there. If you could pm details of ocean reef that would be great. Heard Akasully likes it here too!! thanks for replying :)

hi,

Wondered if you found a good place to stay, we may be over in august for a reccie and need a place too.

Thanks

Hi

Yes we did thanks, thought about writting a post about the trip, just never got round to it.

We booked with oz house rentals, a small unit in south Fremantle ocean view villa I think. it fitted our porpose for the two weeks and was more affordable than some of the other accomodation on the market. Fremantle was certainly a geat place to use as a base, good public transport, and quite a friendly little town.

if you have a hire car you can pop north south or east, dont go west you will get wet :smile:

We have booked our recci rental for August through "homeaway". There were lots to choose from (I could have really blown the budget but didnt ant kids to expect that on a move too!) We have booked NOR (hubbys choice). I was keener on SOR. Good luck with your search.

Claire

Hi

Yes we did thanks, thought about writting a post about the trip, just never got round to it.

We booked with oz house rentals, a small unit in south Fremantle ocean view villa I think. it fitted our porpose for the two weeks and was more affordable than some of the other accomodation on the market. Fremantle was certainly a geat place to use as a base, good public transport, and quite a friendly little town.

if you have a hire car you can pop north south or east, dont go west you will get wet :smile:

hi, I, thanks very much, I'll look into it! sounds like a good base to explore. Not sure I want to get wet...it'll be too cold!

We have booked our recci rental for August through "homeaway". There were lots to choose from (I could have really blown the budget but didnt ant kids to expect that on a move too!) We have booked NOR (hubbys choice). I was keener on SOR. Good luck with your search.

Claire

hi thanks for the info. I've not heard about home away, I'll look them up. :)

alison

Just a point i forgot to mention we found the cost of an airport transfere to be very varied

our initial transfer when we arrived cost $190, I managed to book with another company fro the return leg who charged $120

Both were at silly o clock in the morning. So day rates may be cheaper, so its worth shoping around

Just a point i forgot to mention we found the cost of an airport transfere to be very varied

our initial transfer when we arrived cost $190, I managed to book with another company fro the return leg who charged $120

Both were at silly o clock in the morning. So day rates may be cheaper, so its worth shoping around

Hi, thanks for the info!

Alison, haven't you managed to sell the house yet?

Hi! No, we ve had every possible buyer since we sold it and were

messed around! Had at least 5 low offers from different people and lots of interest but from people who are yet to sell. Even the estate agent said he's never seen anything like it! Very frustrating but hopefully will sell soon. Feel as if we are in limbo as can't plan anything. We'll get there eventually :)

Alison we know just how you feel . the worst part is waiting and being in limbo for so long. We appear to have a buyer for 1 house so cross fingers and someone interested in the shop so cross fingers again.

Hi odies, gosh that's fantastical, so pleased for you :). It's awful being in limbo, can't wait for this bit to be over. We've got 2 more viewings this week so fingers crossed x