Buying a used car in oz...need any help anyone can offer!!!

mwjw

Hi,

Ive been looking at used cars as we will need one as soon as we get there!! They all seem really expensive and done a fair few Km's!!

I no car expert so don't want to buy a wreck, any advice on wheres good, what to look out for etc? Also worries me that you don't have to do MOT's??? is this true??!!

Should be moving to Mandurah region.

• 1 month later...

Hi..I am possibly shipping back to the UK quite soon and have a car to sell. We bought it 18 months ago and it's only done 54k. When do you move over? I am in the Mandurah area too! Obviously, depending on what car you think you may be after, mine is a Holden Cruze 4 door, 4 years old.

What do you need?

A small hatchback to get to the shops?

A big saloon to get 5 adults and a load of luggage in?

An off-road UTE to load up with beers and fishing gear to get you a couple of k's up the beach?

Auto or manual?

RWD, FWD or 4WD?

Are you a petrol person, or do you prefer cars that run on cancer?

What is your budget?

Edited by Bibbs

Hi Bibbs,

We are family of three, so ideally a four door. Medium hatch would be good, manual transmission ideally. Would prefer a diesel with the mileage, but a good petrol would still be great!

Budget is about $6000-$6500

Thanks

Mike

Guest Guest6235

Has anybody had a car from westside auto wholesaler? The guy where we are staying got a 4wd from there and has recommended the place.

Porty, I'll be looking at the link you sent me later.

For that kinda price you are best off heading to one of the car sales areas, and having a browse. Your choice will be fairly limited.

I'd always recommend Vic Park. Start at the city end of Albany Highway, and head south (the further south, the cheaper the cars).

A hatchback, manual, diesel? I wouldn't know where to start as they are the three things I'd not want in Aus.

If you are near the CBD, all the stop/start traffic gets very boring in a manual. Diesel (for me) is for trucks and off roaders. It's more expensive, and again in stop/start traffic you'll not get near the MPG claimed.

I'd suggest the cheaper Korean-type cars. Hyundai, Kia etc. They usually have long warranties, so the manufacturer is confident of them lasting.

The newer ones are actually quite pleasant places to be.

A hatchback, manual, diesel? I wouldn't know where to start as they are the three things I'd not want in Aus.

If you are near the CBD, all the stop/start traffic gets very boring in a manual. Diesel (for me) is for trucks and off roaders. It's more expensive, and again in stop/start traffic you'll not get near the MPG claimed.

I'd suggest the cheaper Korean-type cars. Hyundai, Kia etc. They usually have long warranties, so the manufacturer is confident of them lasting.

I'd agree with this. If you want a small hatch then avoid the diesels, what would be the point? Modern small petrol engines are incredibly efficient.

The cheaper Asian producers are making great cars, award winning in some cases and parts and servicing is cheap.

2014 was a bad year for new car sales so the dealers are overstocked, some great bargains around if you haggle hard and $6k is a good deposit on something nearly new.

There are also a load of dealers on the Leach Highway in Melville and there are also some auctions around where you can find a bargain.

For that kinda price you are best off heading to one of the car sales areas, and having a browse. Your choice will be fairly limited.

I'd always recommend Vic Park. Start at the city end of Albany Highway, and head south (the further south, the cheaper the cars).

Cheers for the advice. Just thought a diesel might be better, as either the wife or I will have to drive around 200km's a day for work.

Car box car sales in Morley??? Any thoughts ?

There are a few in Morley. I'd not go it a specific dealer. Pick your car(s) that you want, then go find one on CarSales.com.au.

If it's not something rare, there should be plenty about.

Also remember, small cars are a 'new thing' here. Most old cheap cars will be a Falcon or a Commodore.

Edited by Bibbs

I saw a car on this website that Porty gave me Carsales.com.au and one of the companies listed on it was car box sales, this is where the car is.

CarSales.com.au is like the UK AutoTrader.

I'd have thought every dealer was on there. And 2nd hand car dealers have a reputation. I'd suggest going and having a look at the car (and ignoring any of the spiel that the dealer comes out with).

Guest Guest6235

Has anybody ever taken out extended warranty (5 years) on a car that covers heaps more than the free 6 month cover that comes as standard and do they actually honour it if something goes wrong (also get free tinted windows). I got a good deal on a car and got several k's knocked off after haggling & calls going backwards & forewards that I'm tempted to get it, also got some knocked off this proposed warranty.

I got a two year warranty given to me by LynFord in Osborne Park, when the power steering switch broke and I took it back twice I might add because they couldnt work out how to fix itthe first time, turns out it wasnt covered, the warranty wasnt worth the paper it was written on, its just a big con to make you take it back to them for regular servicing so they can bend you over again, the warranty stipulated it had to be serviced regularly by an AHG dealer or it was null and void

Has anybody ever taken out extended warranty (5 years) on a car that covers heaps more than the free 6 month cover that comes as standard and do they actually honour it if something goes wrong (also get free tinted windows). I got a good deal on a car and got several k's knocked off after haggling & calls going backwards & forewards that I'm tempted to get it, also got some knocked off this proposed warranty.

Can I borrow you in April to haggle a deal for me when I'll need to buy a couple of cars ;). It's my least favourite sport....

Guest Guest6235
Can I borrow you in April to haggle a deal for me when I'll need to buy a couple of cars ;). It's my least favourite sport....

I usually do haggle but before we saw this car we spoke to a lady who owned a small car sales joint mainly for lower end cars, she recommended us going to a dealership and push them as everywhere is really quiet at the moment, that is what we did. I got 5k knocked off and then another $500 when I said can you round it up. The sales guy ......(dare I say it) who I've gotten along with said the dealership had made a loss on it, still not sure if I believe them though.

I usually do haggle but before we saw this car we spoke to a lady who owned a small car sales joint mainly for lower end cars, she recommended us going to a dealership and push them as everywhere is really quiet at the moment, that is what we did. I got 5k knocked off and then another $500 when I said can you round it up. The sales guy ......(dare I say it) who I've gotten along with said the dealership had made a loss on it, still not sure if I believe them though.

Sounds good to me ! First thing I will need is a 7 seater (5 kids) - just browsing ahg.com.au site and not a lot in market. We have a VW Caravelle here in the uk and every day out reminds me of St. Trinians with my lot...got to be practically bullet proof ;) think I'm going to put this on the 'worry about it later' list , whilst we sort everything else out....