Medicare and hernia repair

beandownunder

Hi,

has anyone any experience of having a hernia repaired in Australia? there is a teeny weeny chance that we may be able to head off soon but my hubby is on a waiting list for a hernia repair- we thought maybe he could have it done privately here (uk) before we leave but found out its £2000 !!

Just wondered what the likely costs would be over there? I have trawled the net but am baffled to say the least!!!

Thanks,

J x

It would vary a lot depending on the surgeon and things as they all charge what ever they want for private. For medicare, you will join the list - a loooong list. I have a hernia and waiting so far 3 years and i suspect it wont happen ever.

Private is likely to be very expensive and medical insurance doesnt normally cover pre existing conditions

I had major surgery and went private, my health insurance covered hospital. I paid a couple of hundred for the consult fee, a gap fee of a couple of hundred, then I had a day surgery to see the extent of the problem and then the real surgery ... didn't pay anything other than the consult and one off gap

Get it done privately in the UK before you come here, i have been on the waiting list to see a consultant over my back for a year now, if I went private I wouldnt see much change out of $10k, Medicare waiting lists are worse than the NHS, private medical insurance doesnt cover pre existing conditions