Kinross Primary

TheMackemSlayer

Guest Guest6235

My wife is a secondary school Maths Teacher at a college up the coastline in the Nothern suburbs and she's heard from different colleagues that Kinross primary is meant to be very good but the college 11-16 year olds is meant to have a high rate of bullying.

My wife is a secondary school Maths Teacher at a college up the coastline in the Nothern suburbs and she's heard from different colleagues that Kinross primary is meant to be very good but the college 11-16 year olds is meant to have a high rate of bullying.

I seen the rating for the primary is high, but the bullying comments seem to be cropping up about both schools and that is a concern.

Guest Guest6235

I've heard about bullying in a lot of schools here though and people seem to have low opinions about state schools, again worrying. On principal we don't want to send our daughter to private when she's old enough as a 1st world country should have great state schools scattered all over. It's a shame as the village/suburb we used to live in back in England had a high ranking secondary school where my wife taught and it was on a par, if not better than some of the private schools. Who knows what the future holds.

Edited by Guest6235

I've heard about bullying in a lot of schools here though and people seem to have low opinions about state schools, again worrying. On principal we don't want to send our daughter to private when she's old enough as a 1st world country should have great state schools scattered all over. It's a shame as the village/suburb we used to live in back in England had a high ranking secondary school where my wife taught and it was on a par, if not better than some of the private schools. Who knows what the future holds. I bet half of these people who worked in the mines with big houses and have now had to sell to go home thought they were gonna be set for life.

Yeah mate, it's a worry but at the same time I'm not sure bullying can really be a problem throughout an entire school. I mean, yes you can get bad apples but surely not every year and especially not more than two.

Some of the comments I've read make it sound as though they actually promote bullying, which is probably a load of rubbish but at the same time we don't want to be taking any risks with our kids and I'm sure you guys are the same.

There is bullying everywhere, every school, every country and any head teacher that says they don't have bullying is a liar. It's sadly part of human nature. It's how the school deals with it that is key, IMO. I have heard terrible things about Kinross College but I also know a few parents who are very happy with it. You can't please everyone. Keep an open mind until you arrive and go and take a look around. Go at the start orf end of school day and chat to parents outside.

I've said in other threads my eldest daughter did 10-12 at a school considered one of the worst NOR. However, I cannot fault the school or the teaching staff. She graduated with an award for academic excellence and is Uni bound with plans to become a Social Worker.

There is bullying everywhere, every school, every country and any head teacher that says they don't have bullying is a liar. It's sadly part of human nature. It's how the school deals with it that is key, IMO. I have heard terrible things about Kinross College but I also know a few parents who are very happy with it. You can't please everyone. Keep an open mind until you arrive and go and take a look around. Go at the start orf end of school day and chat to parents outside.

I've said in other threads my eldest daughter did 10-12 at a school considered one of the worst NOR. However, I cannot fault the school or the teaching staff. She graduated with an award for academic excellence and is Uni bound with plans to become a Social Worker.

Great to hear that mate. I'm going to look into it a bit more but it does now seem as though the college is where most of the criticism is being aimed.

Is it compulsary for pupils at the primary to go to that college?

Great to hear that mate. I'm going to look into it a bit more but it does now seem as though the college is where most of the criticism is being aimed.

Is it compulsary for pupils at the primary to go to that college?

If it is your catchment high school then yes. You can apply out of catchment to another high school but now that high schools are taking years 7 upwards they are stretched and a lot aren't taking out of catchment kids. Plus you then have the issues of getting them there. Any particular reason why you have chosen Kinross?

If it is your catchment high school then yes. You can apply out of catchment to another high school but now that high schools are taking years 7 upwards they are stretched and a lot aren't taking out of catchment kids. Plus you then have the issues of getting them there. Any particular reason why you have chosen Kinross?

We haven't chosen Kinross as such, it is simply one of the nearest to where we'll be in Burns Beach and rated highly on a scoring website I viewed. That didn't take the college into consideration though, and so now I am concerned.

Could you recommend anywhere else that wouldn't require a monsterous daily commute?

Guest Guest6235

That's the thing here which we find strange. You can live in a supposedly good area, yet the school within that catchment area can get terrible reviews from parents, Teachers etc, whereas in England (from my experience ) if you lived in a decent area then more than likely the school was decent.

That's the thing here which we find strange. You can live in a supposedly good area, yet the school within that catchment area can get terrible reviews from parents, Teachers etc, whereas in England (from my experience ) if you lived in a decent area then more than likely the school was decent.

Sounds about right Keefo. You'd normally assume that a school in a decent enough area would be okay.

It's a tricky one this as I'd ideally like to pick a school before we arrive on 14 Feb so that he can slot right in at the beginning of the year (he's 5 so will be starting with a fresh group), however it's looking more and more as though we'll need to view schools in person to get a feel for which we like.

We haven't chosen Kinross as such, it is simply one of the nearest to where we'll be in Burns Beach and rated highly on a scoring website I viewed. That didn't take the college into consideration though, and so now I am concerned.

Could you recommend anywhere else that wouldn't require a monsterous daily commute?

Beaumaris Primary school in Ocean Reef. I am pretty sure if you live in Burns Beach then you can enrol there too.

Talking as a retired education administrator, I always recommend that parents visit schools and meet with the Principal and look around schools before making a decision on where to place their children. A school can look good on paper, achieve good ratings on websites, and receive good reviews from parents, but if you feel the vibe of the school is not right for your child, then you need to revise your decision to send them there. In my view, a school is only as good as the Principal running it as they set the mark for the whole school from financial through to behaviour management. There are many brilliant teachers who do well in not so good schools, but they have to be really committed and work harder to achieve in the classroom if they are thwarted by poor leadership. During my career I witnessed exceedingly good schools descend into total chaos when a good Principal had moved on and the successor who really wasn't up to the job, took over. So I do strongly suggest you and your child visit any school you are interested in before you make a decision.

Talking as a retired education administrator, I always recommend that parents visit schools and meet with the Principal and look around schools before making a decision on where to place their children. A school can look good on paper, achieve good ratings on websites, and receive good reviews from parents, but if you feel the vibe of the school is not right for your child, then you need to revise your decision to send them there. In my view, a school is only as good as the Principal running it as they set the mark for the whole school from financial through to behaviour management. There are many brilliant teachers who do well in not so good schools, but they have to be really committed and work harder to achieve in the classroom if they are thwarted by poor leadership. During my career I witnessed exceedingly good schools descend into total chaos when a good Principal had moved on and the successor who really wasn't up to the job, took over. So I do strongly suggest you and your child visit any school you are interested in before you make a decision.

Thanks a lot for that reply, Rossmoyne. You've really opened my eyes.

I really wanted to enroll my son somewhere prior to us arriving in case we ended up isolating him from groups of kids who started earlier and have already made friends by not doing so but after reading that I've had a change of heart.

I really wanted to enroll my son somewhere prior to us arriving in case we ended up isolating him from groups of kids who started earlier and have already made friends by not doing so but after reading that I've had a change of heart.

Thank you to you too as so many people just assume I am talking out of no-where..... My career for 40 plus years was in education administration and teacher recruitment in both UK and WA, and it is so good to have my views recognised. Please feel free to PM me if you need to discuss stuff that you don't want to put on the open forum.

Hiya I definitely go and look a the schools, I wouldn't worry to much about enrolling before there's lots if kids joining schools all the time. my son and daughter were both the newbies of their classes for only a month before someone else joined the class. I was petrified about the kids starting a new school but they were fine, great in fact. They have just competed their first term and both love it and prefer it to their UK school which they both loved and was a brilliant school so I couldn't be happier.

Hiya I definitely go and look a the schools, I wouldn't worry to much about enrolling before there's lots if kids joining schools all the time. my son and daughter were both the newbies of their classes for only a month before someone else joined the class. I was petrified about the kids starting a new school but they were fine, great in fact. They have just competed their first term and both love it and prefer it to their UK school which they both loved and was a brilliant school so I couldn't be happier.

Ah, that's great to hear. We've seen another school in Currambine that could be an option and so have decided to go and look when we arrive. There's also one in Mindarie that's not too far away.