UK to perth

Dave1411

Hi , I don't have Rose tinted glasses on at all .

I'm here to gather as much information as possible as it's not just me making the jump it's also my 2 children .

My partner is more than happy to work after having the baby .if we was planning to stay in the UK she would be going back to work also .

Crime is everywhere , I've not said that mandurah is crime free and a happy go lucky place . All I can really go by is Internet research . House prices , cost of living .

I'm also not in the mind set that this is easy or 90% of people would be doing it for the weather alone .

As I've quoted above IF we are successful in making it we wouldntvbe treating it as a holiday but the start of a new life . I'm well aware that some people fail and have to return to the UK , many people fail in the UK .it's life .

I would have around £120,000 set aside for this adventure so ive more than made sure if times get a little tough I'm covered to a degree .

I've seen many properties for 250/300 dollars per week which is reasonable.

Also my partner travels from near Southend to London everyday which is 1.35 mins each way door to door .

I'm not ranting but the Rose tinnted glass are far from my face

Edited by Dave1411

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here to gather as much information as possible as it's not just me making the jump it's also my 2 children .

My partner is more than happy to work after having the baby .if we was planning to stay in the UK she would be going back to work also .

Crime is everywhere , I've not said that mandurah is crime free and a happy go lucky place . All I can really go by is Internet research . House prices , cost of living .

I'm also not in the mind set that this is easy or 90% of people would be doing it for the weather alone .

As I've quoted above IF we are successful in making it we wouldntvbe treating it as a holiday but the start of a new life . I'm well aware that some people fail and have to return to the UK , many people fail in the UK .it's life .

I would have around £120,000 set aside for this adventure so ive more than made sure if times get a little tough I'm covered to a degree .

Also my partner travels from near Southend to London everyday which is 1.35 mins each way door to door .

But have you grasped there is a very good chance you will be coming back to the UK at the end of the 457? You need to assume you are. It is what is says on the tin. A temporary visa with no automatic path to PR.

Exactly internet research it sonetimes falsifies things. Take heed of what peole who actual live and have lived here are saying. Its a total different game when your here. On the upside hubby and are are proof of 457 visa success but its not been an easy ride. We gained our,ENS 186 after only being here 16 mnths. Firstly we had redundacy threats then big wake uo call re PR visa all had to be lodged prior to hubbys 50 th birthday. Time was not on our side if we had waited the 2 years. His company and companies emigration solicitor acted pretty darn quick on this. So we are a huge exception to the rule 457 visa holders age against us transitioning to PR. But if your or wifes jobs listed why not apply for a PR visa yourselves straight off. The 457 visa rulings are changing think it will be abolished soon

Thats why I'm here to speak to people who have had good experiences and bad .

There is 2 skills lists and my partners skill is on the list where you can't apply for PR straight away .

I am here to listen, if someone has has a bad experience then I'd like to hear about it ? What went wrong and why .

And just to add , there is 2 skills lists and my partner is on the 2nd skills list where you need sponsorship

I'm using the agency to try and make it as straight forward as possible , not a easy Route but honest Route . All in doing is trying

Verystormy what happened to you?

Yes but in what area?? Mandurah is no 9 on the latest crime report wellard being 10 in the local paper this week. Something to bear in mind. No disrespect but original poster seems to have rose tinted glasses on

Wannanup/Falcon. Falcon has a mixed reputation but no real issues in Wannanup. Actually nearly all the house were Wannanup.

Hi I'm in the UK (Scotland) and we're emigrating next year to Perth, me, my husband, toddler and baby (who is also due any day now!). I'm no expert but we've done a few trips to Perth and I've done a LOT of research! We're in the process of getting a 189 visa which is permanent residency, based on husbands job. We're using an agent and expect to have visa by the summer. As others have said, I'm a wee bit confused about your visa situation but if it's a 457 I'd just be careful as they seem to be tightening up on these and it doesn't guarantee you can stay.

I wouldn't say Perth is cheap, definitely more expensive than home. I live in a £350k 4 bed house in UK and am expecting to pay at least that to get what we want in Perth (northern suburbs where we have friends). I pay £47 a day here for childcare and it looks to be around $80-100 a day in Perth so around the same but you can get a government rebate for some of the costs.

We are planning to rent our house out here and rent in Perth to start with and budgeting around $600 a week. So all in all our rent or mortgage costs will be on a par with home.

Assuming husband and I get jobs paying at least what we earn here we are expecting to live a very similar lifestyle but will probably be able to save a bit less until kids are out of nursery. There seems to be a common misconception that in Oz you can work less but earn a huge amount more and live like a king but our friends out there would disagree, although they love it of course.

There is an alarm bell always pinging when a person says that an agent is helping them with an application and arranging interviews.

The he company are not themselves registered agents. The MARA number they are using is an agent based in NSW and they themselves are not qualified to give you advice.

https://www.mara.gov.au/search-the-register-of-migration-agents/registered-migration-agent-details/?id=5f8a8e85-a452-e311-9402-005056ab0eca

I would urge you to use a very big dose of caution. We always advise people to use a registered migration agent as we have seen many people lose lots of money by not doing so.

I have personally never had a problem. But I have only used MARA agents.

But it as both a member and moderator of the forum and PIO over many years I have seen many people have major issues with not using MARA agents including losing thousands of pounds. It is a common repeating issue and Australia currently have a parliamentary inquiry in how to deal with it. the worst offenders usually fall into two groups. Companies offering to arrange student visas and companies offering to arrange jobs.

All I am allowed to advise you is to use a MARA registered agent.

I think it's important to remember that an agent doesn't get you the visa - they assist you in identifying the visa you should be applying for, advising of what information is needed for applications/skills assessments and to identify any potential issues (should the application be complex) and identify possible strategies.

I didn't use an agent, but as VS said - we would always recommend a registered migration agent as if it doesn't turn out well/they don't do their job you have a body to complain to and chance of obtaining your money back.

It seems you're happy to come out on a temporary visa, is it worth looking to see if you can take a career break so that you still have a job to go back to?

I would seriously look in to the value of your car in Australia to see if its worthwhile. We were thinking of taking our Mini Coupe, worth 13k here, but in Aus money they are going for 24k. Its the Aus value that they use for the GST and Duty. So, you have the 2.500gbp for shipping the car over. They add on 10percent on to the selling price there(value), for us its 2,400AUD (duty) taking the value up to 26,400AUD and then another 10percent on top at new value, so another 2,640aud (GST) on top bringing a total of 5,040 AUD which today is 3014GBP. This is the cost you will have to pay to receive your car there.... excluding any possible further quarantine cleaning/clearance which would probably set you back another 400AUD... I don't know how new your car is and what value it may have, but if it attracts the luxury car tax then its another 33percent payment you have to pay as well (if the car is worth over 58k (AUD))...

I think we are leaving our car here and buying something boring there. Maybe a 6litre v8 holden lol

Hi my car is around 50,000 in Australia so well worth me taking it . More for myself not value

Mine is a 4.2 v8 lol

The agency have informed me if I'm not successful I receive a full refund ,I also have this in writing

I run my own business so I will always have something to do if I have to return which is handy

Edited by Dave1411

Hi my car is around 50,000 in Australia so well worth me taking it . More for myself not value

The agency have informed me if I'm not successful I receive a full refund ,I also have this in writing

I run my own business so I will always have something to do if I have to return which is handy

We have seen those "refunds" many times on here.

As long as its not within the luxury car tax bracket then it may be worth it. Attracting that extra 33percent wouldn't really justify it IMO. But yeah why not if you have something decent that you will get much more enjoyment out of over there. Just make sure you have owned the car for at least 12 months before arranging shipment otherwise it wouldn't be possible to take your car. Some people say 24 months, but the actual guideline is 12 months (perhaps previously it was 24, I'm not sure).

The annoying thing with some forums is that people use it as a place to air their bad experiences and in some way want to put off those who may be more successful than they were. You won't hear from the ten's of thousands of people who move out, love it and haven't a bad word, just those who it didn't work out for.

I'm personally not out there yet, my visa was granted in August and I have til this August to get there and my plan is to be there by July, just waiting on some dog arrangements first as there is just as much work for that as there is for people to move!

Have you visited Australia yet?

Ok, I'm on here for advice but so far all you have done is put a negative spin on everything I've said and not really given any advise , moving 9000 miles isn't easy and Im well aware not everyone is succesfull

If you had a bad time then s I mentioned above please explain.

What advice are you actually looking for Dave. People would be remiss if they didn't highlight that there are risks to using an agent who is not registered. As I've said previously, you seem more than happy knowing that the visa is only a temporary one and that there are risks associated with that visa e.g. if your partner loses their job you only have a certain amount of time to secure another sponsor.

The annoying thing with some forums is that people use it as a place to air their bad experiences and in some way want to put off those who may be more successful than they were. You won't hear from the ten's of thousands of people who move out, love it and haven't a bad word, just those who it didn't work out for.

I'd disagree, I've been a member/moderator for a great number of years - I class myself as a successful migrant and one of the tens of thousands you mention who love it. Having been associated with this and our sister site for a number of years - we do hear the stories from those who have e.g. used non registered agents and lose their money, of those who come out on a visa and end up loving it, but because they've lost their job or been unable to get one they've had to return back to the their country of origin. I think it's a wonderful place to live, it's not perfect by any means and their are pitfalls during the visa process and when people first move out here - should be keep quiet about those? I know as a would be migrant it was those things that I needed to know, what if those things happened to us, how would be cope, what would we do? It gave us as a couple an opportunity to discuss them, have some strategies and to make the move with our eyes wide open and the rose tinted glasses left behind.

The beauty of an open forum is that you're going to get a mixture of views, some you'll agree with and some you won't. People sometimes ask a question and don't like the answer - that's forum life.

Hi Ali , I was looking for advice in general ,after all the research I've done online just to confirm I have it correct

I have a fair idea on costs now and we'll aware there is a risk.butvas said above many people make it and live a better life which is exactly what I'm after .

If someone wants to be negative then so be it but tell the story and input something rather than just adding bits of negativity