UK to perth

Dave1411

I'd disagree, I've been a member/moderator for a great number of years - I class myself as a successful migrant and one of the tens of thousands you mention who love it. Having been associated with this and our sister site for a number of years - we do hear the stories from those who have e.g. used non registered agents and lose their money, of those who come out on a visa and end up loving it, but because they've lost their job or been unable to get one they've had to return back to the their country of origin. I think it's a wonderful place to live, it's not perfect by any means and their are pitfalls during the visa process and when people first move out here - should be keep quiet about those? I know as a would be migrant it was those things that I needed to know, what if those things happened to us, how would be cope, what would we do? It gave us as a couple an opportunity to discuss them, have some strategies and to make the move with our eyes wide open and the rose tinted glasses left behind.

The beauty of an open forum is that you're going to get a mixture of views, some you'll agree with and some you won't. People sometimes ask a question and don't like the answer - that's forum life.

Totally understand and agree .

But verystormy isn't being to clear just little inputs of negativity without reason .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dave1411, I don't think people are being negative at all, but are just giving you their views and advice.

Like Ali, I have been associated with and moderated on Perth Poms and been a member on our sister site for many years. I emigrated over 25 years ago as a single parent with two small children and I consider myself and offspring happy and successful migrants. It certainly wasn't easy in the early 1990's with no internet and cheap phone calls to research WA, or once here to keep keep in constant contact with loved ones back in England, but in a way it made us stronger as we had to just get on with what was thrown at us. It certainly wasn't an easy journey through the visa application process (which I completed without an agent) or for the first couple of years when we first arrived in WA. If there had been such a thing as the internet and this forum in 1990 during our migration journey, I probably would have been better prepared for some of the issues that I had to deal with once here, which is why I continue to have association with this forum so I can offer advice to others.

I arrived here during a recession and finding work was not easy - but I have also lived here during boom times and watched property values escalate and prices of everything from utility costs, food, general merchandise, eating out etc, rise generally across the board to stupid levels. WA is now in another recession and property prices are dropping, jobs are hard to get and businesses both big and small are going broke every week. That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get work or find a cheap rental property, but it is something that you need to be aware of. I am not being negative - just saying it as it is.

You are aware that the Visa 457 is a temporary work visa and you should acquaint yourself with all the conditions attached to that visa. The most important of which is that if your wife's job as she is the main visa applicant should cease, you will have 90 days to find another sponsoring employer or you will have to leave the country. Now that might sound OK to you, but in reality, in Australia at the moment but especially in WA, that very possibly could be extremely hard to achieve. There is a lot of discussion happening here about severely restricting the number of 457 visas being issued every year because of the number of unemployed Australians who are able to perform many of the roles that 457 visas are granted for. I speak with experience in this as the migration area of overseas recruitment was my career before retiring recently, and I still have many colleagues in the migration arena who update me on what is happening. Visa rules and conditions often change in July every year, and the negotiations/discussions between industry/ government departments and DIBP are currently under way so decisions can be made and changes implemented in July.

Finally I cannot recommend enough that you ensure that any migration agent that you use is registered with MARA. There are unscrupulous companies who masquerade as registered agents, when in fact only one of their directors is registered, and the person giving the advice does not hold registration with MARA. Many many times on this and our sister forum, we have heard of people who have used such agents who promised the earth, but could not come up with the visa, and money was lost. I can only suggest that you google the names of migration agencies and look for feedback from others who have used them. For legal reasons this forum cannot state which migration companies you should avoid, but please search through this forum for names of any Registered Migration Agents who advertise or post here, as they are all reputable and genuine agents.

I wish you well in your journey Dave, but please don't think we are all giving you negatives..... it is far from that.... we are just being realistic and telling it as it is right now.

Verystormy , please don't take offence .I've taken the above on board and made aware that it is a gamble .

My partner is a insurance broker and we have been advised the only way over would be on a 457 , as we wouldn't be able to get a 489?

I'm happy to hear the good and the bad and will take both on board , the company in using received all the paperwork today to forward onto there agent in Australia, as I've said all I can do is wait and try and if at the end of the 2 years we are sent back then it's another chance I've Took in life .

If you have any more advice then great

Ahhh the dreaded 457 I harped on about this false hope and promises oh my lord i sound like abbot ....... I digress. We are a success story of 457 gaining our PR ENS 186 - soon to be citizens I will remain Welsh but with Australian citizenship I will never be Australian nor want to be I am Welsh !!!! another of my bug bears ... The people are only advising but it seems to be falling on deaf ears to put it bluntly -- I am not one for mincing words. Take heed of what others are saying. Its all well and good researching online and yes some of the information is good, but its another story being here. Most genuine big companies have their own migration solicitors/agents and pay for the visa the migrant only pays for medical police checks and x rays. So for paying upfront out of your pockets should set the mind winking. There have been a few people who joined this forum came on a 457 sold their homes lock stock and barrel ended up going back home after 6-7 months. Another member came on a 457 with a large company made redundant luckily managed to secure another 457 with a big company realises the route to PR had to start again packed up and went home. There are huge pitfalls just be understanding that actually people on this forum have a great deal of experience and knowledge. You asked for advice now its given its not what your ears want to hear

Sorry if you feel I am being negative, but I am trying to help you understand that you have chosen a very high risk strategy and that you are using a company who would be illegal in Australia. But, I will not comment further.

Hey stormy I am the negative one regarding 457 if you remember lol back in the day ouch! I got right slated on occasion with my negativity hence the huge long break from this site .........................

@Dave1411, I don't think people are being negative at all, but are just giving you their views and advice.

Like Ali, I have been associated with and moderated on Perth Poms and been a member on our sister site for many years. I emigrated over 25 years ago as a single parent with two small children and I consider myself and offspring happy and successful migrants. It certainly wasn't easy in the early 1990's with no internet and cheap phone calls to research WA, or once here to keep keep in constant contact with loved ones back in England, but in a way it made us stronger as we had to just get on with what was thrown at us. It certainly wasn't an easy journey through the visa application process (which I completed without an agent) or for the first couple of years when we first arrived in WA. If there had been such a thing as the internet and this forum in 1990 during our migration journey, I probably would have been better prepared for some of the issues that I had to deal with once here, which is why I continue to have association with this forum so I can offer advice to others.

I arrived here during a recession and finding work was not easy - but I have also lived here during boom times and watched property values escalate and prices of everything from utility costs, food, general merchandise, eating out etc, rise generally across the board to stupid levels. WA is now in another recession and property prices are dropping, jobs are hard to get and businesses both big and small are going broke every week. That doesn't necessarily mean that you won't get work or find a cheap rental property, but it is something that you need to be aware of. I am not being negative - just saying it as it is.

You are aware that the Visa 457 is a temporary work visa and you should acquaint yourself with all the conditions attached to that visa. The most important of which is that if your wife's job as she is the main visa applicant should cease, you will have 90 days to find another sponsoring employer or you will have to leave the country. Now that might sound OK to you, but in reality, in Australia at the moment but especially in WA, that very possibly could be extremely hard to achieve. There is a lot of discussion happening here about severely restricting the number of 457 visas being issued every year because of the number of unemployed Australians who are able to perform many of the roles that 457 visas are granted for. I speak with experience in this as the migration area of overseas recruitment was my career before retiring recently, and I still have many colleagues in the migration arena who update me on what is happening. Visa rules and conditions often change in July every year, and the negotiations/discussions between industry/ government departments and DIBP are currently under way so decisions can be made and changes implemented in July.

Finally I cannot recommend enough that you ensure that any migration agent that you use is registered with MARA. There are unscrupulous companies who masquerade as registered agents, when in fact only one of their directors is registered, and the person giving the advice does not hold registration with MARA. Many many times on this and our sister forum, we have heard of people who have used such agents who promised the earth, but could not come up with the visa, and money was lost. I can only suggest that you google the names of migration agencies and look for feedback from others who have used them. For legal reasons this forum cannot state which migration companies you should avoid, but please search through this forum for names of any Registered Migration Agents who advertise or post here, as they are all reputable and genuine agents.

I wish you well in your journey Dave, but please don't think we are all giving you negatives..... it is far from that.... we are just being realistic and telling it as it is right now.

The time to find a new sponsor has or will be reduced to (I think) 30 days

Personally, Dave, if you're looking to make the move a permanent one, I would explore the possibility of where PR may be available for your wifes skills. Even 10 years ago, we as a family wouldn't have contemplated coming over on a 457 and we came on an independent skilled PR visa. For some, I realise that the 457 is the only way to go to get here, but employers seems more reluctant now to employ on 457 due to the cost if the employee decides to return home (they have to pay the flights). Personally, I also didn't want to be tied to an employer that I didn't like, we have a lot of posts from people feeling trapped by their visa - I spend half my life at work - I don't want to be unhappy lol. I don't know if it is easy/hard for partners on 457's to get work due to the visa being temporary - but as there seems to be a lot more fixed term and casual contracts now due to the down turn it may not be a problem.

If you've set your hearts on Perth and are up for the adventure, then follow your heart and do it, you know it's temporary and no guarantee of progressing to PR via the employer, you're moving with your eyes wide open - just do it and enjoy the adventure!!

Hi Ali

We chose perth due to knowing a few people that way and the bonus (kind of) was house prices to rent are very reasonable .

Obviously there is many nice parts in Australia but i wanted to focus on one area as this make it a little easier to try and budget for the adventure , nicola's company also has a office in Perth but not willing to transfer so this is obviously her first port of call seeing as she's knows how they operate etc .

My eyes are totally wide open and I've looked at everything with the added possibility we may have to return to the UK in a few years .I hope this isn't the case as a clean slate is needed and I'd like a better future for my boys .

It's been made clear to you a 457 visa is risky. If you are willing to take the risk go for it! I know a person who have come over on a student visa to train as a Chef, then got sponsored on a 457 and is now permanent (actually a citizen!) So with a bit of luck it can work out for you. Unfortunately I also know a lady who feels trapped in her job on a 457, due to her working conditions and personality clash and a family that had to move back to the UK, with the family being devastated.

You know the risks, good luck to you!

Hi Dave, I'm not going to get into the 457 debate as I don't know enough about them, weve been here for 10 Months and all I can say is, if you get 4 years out of it you will have a fabulous time. We came for the same reason as you, better family life than in the UK and I can honestly say that as a family unit the move has done this for us. Life is better for the children here as their life is more outdoors and you can get out and do more. We get out in our boat most weekends and absolutely love the fact that we can plan to go out at the weekend because you can pretty much say the weather is going to be good. If its a bit windy on the coast we go inland to the lake.

Now we live south of the river and rent a 4 by 2 , theatre room, study with side access for the boat in a lovely quiet area and pay $330 a week, I find running my boat and cars cheaper here than home, insurance is cheaper, petrol is cheaper, Boat parts are cheaper but depending on what car you have car parts are expensive, ridiculously expensive!! If you've got an Aussie made car like a Commodore or Falcon, cheap as chips but anything European or prestige, expensive.

We live in Baldivis which is 30kms from Mandurah, we are always in Mandurah with the boat, in the estuary, Canals and Marina is fabulous!! But I don't know what its like to live there, for some reason I don't fancy living there unless I could live on the canals in one of those multi million pound houses but that's not going to happen.

As for crime, I don't think its any worse here than the UK, theres a lot less people here so crime is less per head, they report stuff on the TV here that wouldn't even get mentioned at home. They will report a "bashing" outside a nightclub where someone has ended up in hospital, wouldnt even geta mention at home. This says to me there isn't as much of it, as a cop of 16 years in the UK, the same sh*t happens here, but less of it and more publicised.

Now, I imported my car and boat from the UK, like you, both have sentimental value and I was told don't bother sell them and buy the same here but that wasn't the point for me, also after looking around I couldnt sell what I had and buy as good here, with import costs it still worked out cheaper than buying something unknown here especially with the car, there is no MOT and there is lots of sh*t out there that people want a lot of money for!!

My car is over 30 years old so as a personal import doesn't attract any import duty but sadly yours will, They base all taxes on what you paid for it which I think is stupid as you bought your car a couple of years ago and its worth less now. They actually based the GST, yes I had to pay GST even though I didn't pay import duty, on what I paid for my car 21years ago!! This was a bonus for me as its worth more now but they based the import duty and GST for my boat on the purchase price 4 years ago!! If you haven't got a receipt you have to write a declaration stating you've lost the receipt and what you value the vehicle at, obviously if its too low they will make you get a valuation.

When I get a minute I'll put up the costings, and of course when it gets here it will fail quarantine so you will have to pay to have it cleaned and it will come back dirtier than you left it, the Aussies don't give a sh*t about your property its all about making that buck. You will then have to take it over the pits at Welshpool and these people take great delight in finding something they consider to be non compliant to Australian Design Rules (ADR) so do your homework about what mods you might need to do, make sure you print it off and take it with you, these will tell you you need to do something when you may not have to, they told me my car needed the holes in the rear shelf for the child seat anchors but they didn't come in until 76 and mines a 74 so they don't really know what they are on about. They can also be bloody minded, they made me go and take the boat off the trailer and have the trailer weighed separately on a weighbridge because they couldn't read the unladen weight as it was in German (German trailer). It wasn't good enough that I could get the company website up in English and provide the unladen weight from the website, oh no, because the trailer was never sold in Australia he wasn't prepared to accept that. Well, having worked for the UK gov for 16 years I was fully aware of people like this, they have a little bit of power and like wielding it, I'm not intimidated by these people and wouldn't let them beat me, I got it done same day and was back there within three hours so as not to pay a retest fee!!

All the best

Jase

Hi jase

Great information there for me to think over .I have heard of the horrors bringing a UK car to Oz. My car as I've mentioned has a value to me . It's spotless, not driven in the rain or winter etc .I also do car detailing in my spare time so as you can amagine it's more like something that sits on the mantle piece lol

But as you have said they will steam clean it and make it worse just to make a few quid . I have the receipt from when I got the car also all of its history . It's for £13800.I'm even going as far as replacing all the brakes + suspension before I take it (peace of mind ) there is also a Audi dealer in Perth which is handy for parts ,being a 4.2 v8 RS4 in the UK the running costs are shocking 200 miles to £80 so don't really enjoy it as much as I should ! Hopefully this will change .

I've set aside avg £ 6000 to move the car and also told the shipping company in London that I won't be leaving untill it's strapped inside the container with damp proof bags inside and it's cover on , I'd also want to be there when it's unloadEd but not sure if they allow this? The UK spec RS4 is the same as the ones in OZ , so quarantine keep the car for around 2 weeks is this correct?

Also how do I go about licence plate change ? Is this all completed before I collect it ? Obviously has to be taxed and insured also?

Sorry to blaber on but this is near the top off my list of importance . Angelo Pacific are the people I've had the quote off

Dave

Edited by Dave1411

Good luck being there when they unload it, your container goes to a "bonded" AQIS warehouse, where it is unloaded & steam cleaned and gets covered in sh!t, you have to leave the keys in the car for the duration, make sure you put something down on the carpets before it leaves, guess what, after they have jetwashed your car spraying sh!t around, they get in your car covered in the same sh!t, buy cheap seat covers and fit them, keep the car standard until it has been inspected, if you have any modifications they may not be covered by the ADR

Thats why I'm here to speak to people who have had good experiences and bad .

I'm using the agency to try and make it as straight forward as possible , not a easy Route but honest Route . All in doing is trying

Moving to Perth is a very tough thing to do at the best of times. Now is not the best of times. Perth is transitioning from a resources based economy to something else. Not sure what that something else is at the moment.

Unemployment has risen quite dramatically in the last two years as big mining and oil and gas projects in the North have completed. Thousands of ex resources construction workers are now looking for other work. The state government hoped this would be in housing construction, but poor land sales caused by falling migration rates have slowed residential construction by over a third.

As others have said, you are applying for a temporary visa. That is all it is. A temporary visa designed to fill skills gaps as and when needed. Lose your job, and you are on the plane home.

Rent. You will see places for $250 to $300 per week. They will look ok on the REIWA website, three or four beds, detached, 2 bathrooms. Sounds really good.

Chances are though, that for $250 to $300 per week, they will be in rough areas with very dodgy neighbours. You should budget $400 per week minimum unless you want to live next door to a meth lab.

Like I said, coming here is hard at the best of times. The first two or three years will be hardest years of your life and that is if even you have a PR and a bucket load of money to buy a house with.

Moving to Perth is a very tough thing to do at the best of times. Now is not the best of times. Perth is transitioning from a resources based economy to something else. Not sure what that something else is at the moment.

Unemployment has risen quite dramatically in the last two years as big mining and oil and gas projects in the North have completed. Thousands of ex resources construction workers are now looking for other work. The state government hoped this would be in housing construction, but poor land sales caused by falling migration rates have slowed residential construction by over a third.

As others have said, you are applying for a temporary visa. That is all it is. A temporary visa designed to fill skills gaps as and when needed. Lose your job, and you are on the plane home.

Rent. You will see places for $250 to $300 per week. They will look ok on the REIWA website, three or four beds, detached, 2 bathrooms. Sounds really good.

Chances are though, that for $250 to $300 per week, they will be in rough areas with very dodgy neighbours. You should budget $400 per week minimum unless you want to live next door to a meth lab.

Like I said, coming here is hard at the best of times. The first two or three years will be hardest years of your life and that is if even you have a PR and a bucket load of money to buy a house with.

Sorry Warnbro don't agree with everything you've written there, we live in a Cul de sac in a lovely area, with lovely neighbours and have a 4 by 2 with side access for boat/caravan on a 550 sqm block and pay $330 a week. Rents are coming down because, as you said times are tough here. Having said that when we arrived 10 months ago I had 3 job interviews and got all three genuine jobs. I say genuine because I did interview for a job that they clearly had promoted from within and were going through the motions. And I got offered another job that I accepted but they never got back to me and when I contacted them they said they had closed the vacancy. My wife got the first job she went for, night fill at Coles, and we were chuffed with that.

I will ask though on a personal note, we are considering buying a house in the next year and Warnbro is on my list of suburbs mainly because of bigger blocks and older houses that may need work, do you know the streets/areas to avoid, clearly not going to be able to afford beach side and if we do it will be nearer Warnbro sound avenue than the sea!!

Sorry Warnbro don't agree with everything you've written there
True, Baldivis is an exception when it comes to rents. This is because around three years ago, quite a few people decided to build investment properties there to take advantage of the tight rental market. There are over 200 places advertised to rent there right now.

Warnbro is very nice but it is all about how close you live to the ocean.

Bits to avoid. In between Fendham and Curry Street south of Powis Way. Anything east of Warnbro Sound Avenue.

Closer to the North End of Fendham Street is the most expensive generally, but anything you can afford west of Curry Street and north of Powis Way would be a great start. Avoid Curry Street itself though (traffic).

You can get a feel for the areas by looking at the lawns and the cars parked outside. Don't be put off by a few burnout marks though. One burnout scars the road for about five years and you do get a few visiting hoons now and again.

I'd be more inclined to buy a doer upper closer to the beach than a McMansion further inland. There isn't much beachside realestate left in Perth, and on that score, Warnbro is a very good choice going forward.

Hi jase

Great information there for me to think over .I have heard of the horrors bringing a UK car to Oz. My car as I've mentioned has a value to me . It's spotless, not driven in the rain or winter etc .I also do car detailing in my spare time so as you can amagine it's more like something that sits on the mantle piece lol

But as you have said they will steam clean it and make it worse just to make a few quid . I have the receipt from when I got the car also all of its history . It's for £13800.I'm even going as far as replacing all the brakes + suspension before I take it (peace of mind ) there is also a Audi dealer in Perth which is handy for parts ,being a 4.2 v8 RS4 in the UK the running costs are shocking 200 miles to £80 so don't really enjoy it as much as I should ! Hopefully this will change .

I've set aside avg £ 6000 to move the car and also told the shipping company in London that I won't be leaving untill it's strapped inside the container with damp proof bags inside and it's cover on , I'd also want to be there when it's unloadEd but not sure if they allow this? The UK spec RS4 is the same as the ones in OZ , so quarantine keep the car for around 2 weeks is this correct?

Also how do I go about licence plate change ? Is this all completed before I collect it ? Obviously has to be taxed and insured also?

Sorry to blaber on but this is near the top off my list of importance . Angelo Pacific are the people I've had the quote off

Dave

Hi Dave,

So, I know its your pride and joy but have you considered Roll on Roll off? Now, I can see you shaking your head, as I did, Id heard horror stories like, " your car gets dropped off on a dock in Somalia while it waits for the next ship and gets stolen by a somalian warlord and the next time you see it is on the BBC news with 15 guntoting pirates hanging out of the windows as its being shot and blown up by an American gun ship" However, when I put this to the agent I used to do the paperwork he laughed and said that he'd never heard of such rubbish. It goes on the ship in a specific place and stays there until it arrives in Perth. its below deck AND is roughly £2500 cheaper than a container, where, I'm told, if it breaks free in the container no one will know until they open it the other end.

I went with RORO and insisted it went below deck, which was fine and I can honestly say they took really good care of both, it only fell apart when they arrived here and were off the ship and went to the cleaners. I used an agent from over east as he was the only one who actually showed any interest in actually doing the car and the boat and would def recommend him. Straight talking and down to earth, he actually said to me, when I said I want it to come in at Perth, "that's the worst port in Australia, they are C**ts" and he wasn't wrong. If you think you are going to be there when they unload it off the ship you are sorely mistaken because even if you request that you be present the moment it arrives they will unpack it and put it where they want it.

Now, I returned to the UK and over a two day period delivered my car and boat to Southampton, I drove through the security barrier with directions from the staff as to what wharf I needed, drove down and parked them next to the ship in lines. The guy came out, checked my paperwork then went around the car and noted any marks and blemishes and I signed to say they were correct. They checked Chassis number with paperwork and then checked to see what was inside, I lost a 20 litre Jerry can I had put in the boot of the car as you cannot take petrol cans on board as they are a fire risk, I did question the 1/4 of a tank in the cars petrol tank but apparently this is ok??? So I had to leave that on the dock, bloke said it would go on the pile of others they have collected over the years!! You are allowed to put items that are considered to belong to the car in the boot or inside the car, you can put spare parts and accessories inside and they will be shipped with it. I took the grill and wheel trims off mine and boxed them up, I also have a cover and spare wooden dash board, original stereo and 8 track player etc all went inside and arrived untouched. The dock staff in Southampton were great and assured me it would be fine as they pointed at a £100,000 1930s Roller being unloaded from a covered lorry to be loaded on the same ship as mine and being driven on! They are also not going to race or rally your pride and joy when they have all those brand new Jags to load on!!

Now, when it arrived in Perth this is when the problems began. I was informed by my man over East that both had failed quarantine and would need cleaning. Aparently both contained Bio hazard matter that need cleaning off, I was allowed to collect the boat and take it to the cleaners but the car was only allowed to be lifted on a flat bed by a recovery company and delivered to a cleaner of my choice. So, I drove to Fremantle and I saw my boat on the dock looking lonely with nothing around it, so I went to the gate and pushed the buzzer, paperwork in hand, to collect it. Bloke came over intercom and I explained he then said, " Got a Marine Security Identification Card?" Nope I replied and he said that I could not enter the port without one unless I was with someone who had one. It was then explained that there were people who would "escort" me the 100 yards to my boat but they would charge $150 for the privlidge!! F**k Off says me, im not paying anyone that sort of money to escort me 100 yards!! Intercom went dead!!! So, I contacted my man over East who contacted a partner agent in Fremantle. She called me and said that she would have to APPLY for me to go onto the dock for security reasons. By now Im steaming and about to rip someones head off, I said I was not leaving with out my boat and would happily block the gate and allow the police to be called at this utter absurdness!! Anyway, an hour later she turns up and escorts me to my boat, while I'm there I look over car and it appears totally as I left it, however the battery is now flat, you cannot move it out of "Park" unless the battery has power, you will just move the selector and it will not do anything. I explained this to the women who said she would arrange recovery for the car ( at my expense) to the cleaners. I explained that I would really like a call from the recovery driver so I can explain he needs to put a jump pack on to get it out of gear, I'll get him to call you she says. Never does, he cant get it out of park and drags it up the loader, then, the cleaners inform me it arrived and a week later I went to collect it. They explain that the brakes are stuck on and when it arrived they had to lift it off with a FORK LIFT. I went absolutely mad and asked why they didn't call to ask and insisted they show me how they had been lifting it. When they showed me they had been lifting it with wood on the chassis rails I calmed down because this is where I lift it but still, this isn't how you treat a 43 year old car that is someones pride and joy. Not to mention what ever they clean it with discolours bear metal and leaves a film over your car as if it has been washed in salt water. My boat was even worse, being white, had lots of black "drag" marks over it from the rubber hoses and when they put the boxes and stuff back inside the boat they just chucked them in ripping one of the seats!! I complained (understatement) and they admitted full responsibility and we settled on a massive bill reduction rather than them try and sort it, I would rather clean it myself anyway and was able to repair the seat.

So, sorry to Ramble on but it still gets me angry at how little a F**K these people actually give about your property and must get away with it more often than not.

What I learned, I can pass on to you:

You have to apply for approval to bring it in, I tried to do this myself, but its much easier for the shipping agent to do this as they already have an account with the department. You have to have approval before you bring it or it will get sent back or be stored at your cost until they agree to allow it in.

If it fails quarantine, theres a good chance it will, ask to see the Bio Hazard matter they are failing it on. I failed to do this but have heard of people who have argued that it doesn't need the level of clean suggested and won. The quarantine officers are face less and uncontactable, you just get a name on a bit of paper so make sure you have details of your shipping companies local agent who can contact them on your behalf and get them to show you the hazard material.

If it passes and you are able to collect from the quay side remember to contact local agent and ask if they have an MSIC card that will get you on the dock to allow you drive out.

To drive out you will need to have a "temporary move permit" from the Department of Transport. These are easy to apply for on line and last 48 hours, they cost around $35 and allow you to move the car from A to B to C then back again, as long as its in the 48 hours and you have provided the details of where A B C are. It comes with only the basic injury/death only insurance so you might want to cover it with Fully Comp insurance before hand. I went with Shannons who seem pretty good with classics and Imports and covered it even though it wasn't Rego'd.

you will then have to take your car to Welshpool to the DOT testing center for them to approve its use in Australia. They are looking for it to be safe but mainly they are looking for it to comply with ADR. Now I know you said your car is the same as what is sold in Australia but there is a possibility that there will be some things that don't comply or are lacking. The main one that springs to mind is the rear securing point for a child seat. We don't have them in Europe and although I have seen the odd car with thm in the UK they aren't a legal requirement. All you have to check is that there is a capped off screw thread on your parcel shelf or a built in securing hook either in the center or I should imagine on a car of your quality one behind each seat. Our commodore has one in the middle that all three seats, if there were child seats, would clip to.

All, I'll say is prepare to be frustrated, but keep calm. You will never meet, either at the port or at the DOT station, a bunch of people who are hell bent on not helping you out and doing their best to f**k you about, but once you've got it through youll love the lovely wide flat surfaces and cheaper petrol to be able to enjoy your beast. Oh, at a maximum of 60 MPH with lots of hidden cameras at least youll save fuel!!

Hope this helps,

Jase

True, Baldivis is an exception when it comes to rents. This is because around three years ago, quite a few people decided to build investment properties there to take advantage of the tight rental market. There are over 200 places advertised to rent there right now.

Warnbro is very nice but it is all about how close you live to the ocean.

Bits to avoid. In between Fendham and Curry Street south of Powis Way. Anything east of Warnbro Sound Avenue.

Closer to the North End of Fendham Street is the most expensive generally, but anything you can afford west of Curry Street and north of Powis Way would be a great start. Avoid Curry Street itself though (traffic).

You can get a feel for the areas by looking at the lawns and the cars parked outside. Don't be put off by a few burnout marks though. One burnout scars the road for about five years and you do get a few visiting hoons now and again.

I'd be more inclined to buy a doer upper closer to the beach than a McMansion further inland. There isn't much beachside realestate left in Perth, and on that score, Warnbro is a very good choice going forward.

Thanks Warnbro, yeah we get Hoons up here, just had one screeching along Nairn Drive behind us, don't know how they afford the tyres!!

Mc Mansion made me laugh out loud!!

Thanks jase

I'm using angelo Pacific. But im best to find out if it's OK for me to bring it over on a 457 visa. Do I go on the government website or email them etc?

My main thing is timing , I need a address to prove I live there etc so it's a case of

1) finding a rental property around a month before I leave ?

2) ship the car off on its way once I have the address ?

3) have someone in Perth whoa willing to help me ?

The part I'm confused with is passes ? Certain paperwork to be able to collect the car , also the car has to have paper work with it and I have to have proof I own it.

Insurance - how do I go about insuring the car if I don't know what licence plate the car will be on? Also who arranges the plate?

I've seen a plate RS4 B7 on the private plate Web site in OZ wa for 540 dollars.

Also what is Welshpool ? Do I collect the car and drive it straight there ,assuming this is like the Oz version of a mot ? Once done can I take the car home the same day ?

As for costs , a container with just my car with angelo Pacific is £1600 so I've worked it out to be around £4600 that's including shipping, cleaning 10% car value for tax and a few hidden fees.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Dave1411

Thanks jase

I'm using angelo Pacific. But im best to find out if it's OK for me to bring it over on a 457 visa. Do I go on the government website or email them etc?

My main thing is timing , I need a address to prove I live there etc so it's a case of

1) finding a rental property around a month before I leave ?

2) ship the car off on its way once I have the address ?

3) have someone in Perth whoa willing to help me ?

The part I'm confused with is passes ? Certain paperwork to be able to collect the car , also the car has to have paper work with it and I have to have proof I own it.

Insurance - how do I go about insuring the car if I don't know what licence plate the car will be on? Also who arranges the plate?

I've seen a plate RS4 B7 on the private plate Web site in OZ wa for 540 dollars.

Also what is Welshpool ? Do I collect the car and drive it straight there ,assuming this is like the Oz version of a mot ? Once done can I take the car home the same day ?

As for costs , a container with just my car with angelo Pacific is £1600 so I've worked it out to be around £4600 that's including shipping, cleaning 10% car value for tax and a few hidden fees.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

You have to apply to bring the car in before you even attempt to ship it, however I expect that the company you are employing to ship it will do this but best check.

You don't have to have an address before shipping your stuff out, your stuff, if you are putting it in a container will take upto 12 weeks to get here, 4 if you do RoRo. I would definitely advise against renting a property you have not seen or inspected especially if you don't know the areas you are looking at, why do you think you need to do this, is it just because you thought you needed an address to ship to? You don't you can update them later with your address.

Bring the V5 and your service history with you, you wont need it to ship it as you will probably have had to scan it and send it off to your shipping company. All the paperwork you need to ship and collect the other end is generated by your shipping agent, you will only need your V5 this end to prove owner ship when you want to register the car to avoid paying stamp duty on your car. Make sure your car is imported on the personal import scheme.

Welshpool is where the DOT testing station is, there are others but as an import you can only take it to that one. You will need to apply for a Temporary move permit to be able drive it from the port to Welshpool. You can apply on line for one, they only last 48 hours. If it passes you can register it at the testing station and they will issue you the plates there and then. I don't know if they can do this with the private ones.

You can still insure a car that is not registered in Australia, my car still isn't registered and I have fully comp insurance with a company called Shannons. Don't forget youll need to insure it in the container, this insurance is normally expensive, I recon it will take your £1600 to £2100 - 2200 with insurance.

Jase

Your car will not pass first time over the pits, doesnt matter how good or clean it is, as it is an import it will not have an Australian Compliance Plate (ADR) fitted to it, but it has to go over the pits to make sure it complies, the pits will fail it on being ADR compliant, but not have an ADR compliance plate fitted, so once you have the fail paperwork and yet another copy of your import permit, you can send for a ADR compliance sticker, when you have the sticker in your hand, you book a re-test, only then can you register it, it must have a speedo that reads in KMH and have IsoFix child seat anchors fitted in the boot for child seats fitted to the back seats, remember, as it is an import, its worth 20% less on the open market here in Australia, you also need to check that you dont fall in the "Luxury Car Tax" bracket, you will get hammered again on import duty, I know a lot of BMW's & Mercs etc fall into that bracket, not sure about Audi.