UK bank account trouble :(

Jen78

Hi, 

So, my parents, who arrive in 2 weeks time went to a branch of our UK bank to put money into our account so we can transfer it over here as their spends. Turns out our account is blocked, but after speaking to the manager the bank lady overrides the system to allow the deposit.

We haven't changed our address with the bank despite moving in Jan - perhaps we should have. Our mail was on a divert to my parents house for 12 months. However, mail has been returned to the bank with 'not known at this address'. The bank have therefore blocked the account which means that we cannot transfer my parents' money.

I now have to ring the bank in the UK from my oz mobile to see what they can do re unblocking the account. At least with the time difference I can call the 24 hr line in the middle of the night UK time and  (hopefully) get straight through.

Not happy, as my parents should have been prevented from depositing funds if the bank knew we wouldn't be able to access them, (my parents told them we were in Australia).  Also, Royal Mail obviously not honouring the postal divert.

Grrrrrr! 

Hi Ali,

Yes, I understand that, my issue is that a) mail shouldnt have been returned as we still have a re- direct in place, and b) if they knew the account was blocked, they shouldnt have allowed the deposit.

So frustrating, and also it reminds you how far away you are when its not straightforward to sort out. Their suggestion to my mum was that I went in with my id and proof of new address...erm, thats not going to happen!

Our card was blocked when we were in the US as it had a lot of activity, it was bothersome to sort out with the time difference and for security purposes, they'd only deal with Nigel as the main card holder.

The first problem is probably with Royal mail - and the bank did act in your best interest.  I think this is one of the problems as you say in keeping things open in the UK when you live so far away.  We closed all accounts in the UK 

We still have a couple of UK bank accounts. Before we left, we changed our account address to my mother in laws address. We also set up outlook email accounts (not linked to a particular broadband provider so totally portable).

When family members want to give the kids money for Christmas and birthdays, they simply deposit some money in the UK bank account and we give the kids dollars to the same value (saves on currency exchange costs etc.).

When we visit the UK, we use our UK bank cards.

Not strictly in keeping with the T&C's of our UK accounts, but it works for us.

14 hours ago, Warnbro said:

We still have a couple of UK bank accounts. Before we left, we changed our account address to my mother in laws address. We also set up outlook email accounts (not linked to a particular broadband provider so totally portable).

When family members want to give the kids money for Christmas and birthdays, they simply deposit some money in the UK bank account and we give the kids dollars to the same value (saves on currency exchange costs etc.).

When we visit the UK, we use our UK bank cards.

Not strictly in keeping with the T&C's of our UK accounts, but it works for us.

I do the same, albeit with a Dutch bank account. Adsitionally I have many business clients who pay in euro's and just pay to that account and I transfer it once a month or so. Why is your situation it against the (UK) T&C?

It all got sorted pretty quickly in they end thankfully. We downloaded the change of address form, filled it in and emailed it to my mum. Luckily she was in Chester and popped into the bank, they took the details from the emailed form, checked security details about us, changed our address and unblocked the account all within 10 minutes! They said there's no issue with us having the account open and being here so we are keeping it open as it's easier for parents to put money in for Xmas/ Bdays etc.