Covid 19 Impact

Aaron

Hi guys, sorry I have not really been on here in ages. Quick update from me. I am still considering applying for a skilled migrant visa but I heard from a friend that Australia has suspended all visa applications until covid-19 is resolved. Is this true? I still need to re-sit my PTE exam and apparently gain a score of at least 80% (which will take some doing because I suck at listening). So my plan is to use the time to prepare for the exam and hopefully when this all ends and things return to normal I can get on with the application process again.  I know the borders are currently closed according to the below link:

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/i-want-apply-visa

Yeah I got an overall score of 56% in the last PTE test. 44 Listening, 67 Reading, 59 Speaking, 51 Writing.

So looks like I need to put in a lot of practice anyway to get anywhere near the 79% mark for superior English. For me even though I'm from the UK and English is my first language, the 3 hour exam was a real test of my ability to take in all the information, concentrate and manage time.

On 21/08/2020 at 18:52, Aaron said:

Yeah I got an overall score of 56% in the last PTE test. 44 Listening, 67 Reading, 59 Speaking, 51 Writing.

So looks like I need to put in a lot of practice anyway to get anywhere near the 79% mark for superior English. For me even though I'm from the UK and English is my first language, the 3 hour exam was a real test of my ability to take in all the information, concentrate and manage time.

Not sure if you are aware Aaron, but there are practice tests for PTE on the internet.   I couldn't find the link just now, but google PTE practice tests and you should find them OK.   You aren't alone as an English native speaker, not doing too well in English tests as many find the same thing.  Practice though and I am sure that you will do much better next time.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys just checking back in with you, I would be applying for a for visa Subclass 190. Not sure if these are currently available. 

Was wondering if my British passport and 10 years of IT experience would be enough to prove that I have a decent level of English and I am reasonably competent and employable?

11 hours ago, Aaron said:

Hi guys just checking back in with you, I would be applying for a for visa Subclass 190. Not sure if these are currently available. 

Was wondering if my British passport and 10 years of IT experience would be enough to prove that I have a decent level of English and I am reasonably competent and employable?

It is enough for a visa, but it won't get you any points. If you want the points you have to sit the test. 

11 hours ago, Aaron said:

I see I can book the test again in February. Do you guys think it is worthwhile in the current climate or is it best now to wait for covid to die down?

It is valid for a long time, so it's up to you. Have you checked you meet the other criteria such as you can pass the skills assessment?

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 07:00, verystormy said:

It is enough for a visa, but it won't get you any points. If you want the points you have to sit the test. 

Hi verystormy love your alias btw reminds me of the weather here in Ireland. I wonder where this nickname came from.

I just want a skilled migration visa. As a professional Software Engineer I have at least 10 years of software testing experience which is in very high demand anywhere in the world. English is my first language and I speak it very clearly and intelligently. However, perhaps due to me having Aspergers, I find it hard to concentrate for a full 3 hours on an English Language exam and I find the listening part of the exam particularly stressful and difficult although I have practiced a little bit, I will need to develop some sort of technique or coping strategy to manage the exam next time if I am to achieve over 80% in the exam.  I think an expectation of over 80% in any exam is deplorable.

On 16/01/2021 at 07:01, verystormy said:

It is valid for a long time, so it's up to you. Have you checked you meet the other criteria such as you can pass the skills assessment?

I wonder how many years its valid. I have already done a skills assessment through the Australia Computer Society (ACS) and it has about 8 years of IT experience on it. I think it is only valid for 2 years. I think it will expire later this year. I wonder if the goal posts have moved in regards to software testing. I am trying to get into Automation as it is more desired than Manual Software Testing (Its kinda on par with straight up programming these days which will always be in demand). Would you be able to send me a link so I can confirm that there is demand for manual testing in australia vs automation testing. I am currently upskilling though but techincally I am not yet an automation tester. Sorry to bore you with the tech jargon. I always find the australia immigration website a pain in the arse to navigate and I found the ACS people really stubborn and hard to deal with if I am honest. They got me to certify everything like 10 times in the end. :)))

I guess another question is what is Australias perspective on the dreaded covid 19 pandemic? The world has completely changed in the past year. This must have some knock on effect in Australia. It wouldnt surpise me if Australia closes its borders for the rest of 2021 or for the foreseeable future anyway. Which leads me to think, whats the point in trying to get a visa?

On 2 February 2021 at 09:21, Aaron said:

Hi verystormy love your alias btw reminds me of the weather here in Ireland. I wonder where this nickname came from.

I just want a skilled migration visa. As a professional Software Engineer I have at least 10 years of software testing experience which is in very high demand anywhere in the world. English is my first language and I speak it very clearly and intelligently. However, perhaps due to me having Aspergers, I find it hard to concentrate for a full 3 hours on an English Language exam and I find the listening part of the exam particularly stressful and difficult although I have practiced a little bit, I will need to develop some sort of technique or coping strategy to manage the exam next time if I am to achieve over 80% in the exam.  I think an expectation of over 80% in any exam is deplorable.

Hi and thank you. My user name is actually my real name. It is an old Norse name. 

I will try to answer some of your questions. First, with the English exams, there are several different ones available and different people find differences more easy for want of a better word. The PTE exam gets a lit more favourable reviews than ILETS. Also, they can take certain medical conditions in to account. For example I know dyslexics get extra time. So worth contacting them. 

With regard visas, Australia is in effect not processing visas at the moment. They are processing literally a handful of visas for certain medical occupations. I also suspect that will remain the case for most of this year. 

Pas for jobs, I would look at seek.com.au to get a feel of what roles are out there.

• 1 year later...

Thanks again for  your feedback @verystormy 

Its been a while since I posted on here. In the UK I can see most of the covid restrictions are reduced now and I presume the rest of the world is opening up for business again. I have a friend in Perth who says due to the lockdowns in the last few years "now is a good time" to move to Australia and her company are actively sponsoring candidates. Do you reckon it would be a smaller, larger or about the same waiting list for skilled visas as it was before the pandemic in your opinion?   

• 2 weeks later...
All visas are now open, however state sponsored can be hit and miss according to state and occupation. My advice would be to have a chat with a good registered migration agent. 

Hi. I was hoping to get some advice on this point. I’ve been speaking to a registered migration agent about migration specifically to Perth. According to them we qualify for a 190 with 90 points for WA and have advised us to proceed with signing up to their service. However, my concern is on reading the WA website it still seems to state that they are only sponsoring 190 visas for people already residing in Australia and that a job offer is required (we aren’t in Australia and don’t have a job offer.) I’ve asked them for clarity on how we can apply given this guidance but they keep dodging the question. Is there additional information that migration agents know about offshore sponsorship for 190 visas that just isn’t published, or are they just working on the basis that they expect 190’s will be open for offshore applicants soon and hedging their bets? I’m really uncertain on whether or not to proceed. Any insights you could provide@verystormy would be much appreciated. Thank you.

On 1 April 2022 at 07:13, Uturn said:

Hi. I was hoping to get some advice on this point. I’ve been speaking to a registered migration agent about migration specifically to Perth. According to them we qualify for a 190 with 90 points for WA and have advised us to proceed with signing up to their service. However, my concern is on reading the WA website it still seems to state that they are only sponsoring 190 visas for people already residing in Australia and that a job offer is required (we aren’t in Australia and don’t have a job offer.) I’ve asked them for clarity on how we can apply given this guidance but they keep dodging the question. Is there additional information that migration agents know about offshore sponsorship for 190 visas that just isn’t published, or are they just working on the basis that they expect 190’s will be open for offshore applicants soon and hedging their bets? I’m really uncertain on whether or not to proceed. Any insights you could provide@verystormy would be much appreciated. Thank you.

That sounds a bit suspect. Are they MARA registered agents? If you message me their details I will have a look for you and if not, send details of agents that can be trusted. 

That sounds a bit suspect. Are they MARA registered agents? If you message me their details I will have a look for you and if not, send details of agents that can be trusted. 

Thank you. I have sent you a message with their details.

So is my understanding of the current guidance correct - that WA is not sponsoring offshore applicants for 190 visas? Thanks.