From my perspective honesty in posting

elfie

Hi Everyone

I have had a few private messages some good some not so good regarding the content of my postings and negativity as seen by some. By us we feel its honest from our perspective yes our perspective people not anyone else just ours. I now feel I have to defend my posts - wish to add I have never had a "warning or been suspended from the forum" - You know who you are- I wish to inform all and sundry that postings are from our perspective only and are honest and straight to the point. I am a strong willed strong minded female I say it as I see it offend or please and I am not apologizing for this I never have and I never will. Also there are others who have been jumped on for their posts get a grip people I thought we were "grown ups" There is no aggression in my post and I am not rude with the wording and I don't victimize

Australia is not like Home and Away and Neighbors for those still in the UK on times its more like prisoner cell block H - joking- For some individuals it is a breeze but for others its down right hard work and you have to have a strong back bone and determination to make it work. Yes there are doubts event those who find it a breeze will have doubts its just they don't voice them aloud. Yes there are tears, missing home family friends. For god-sake you are out of your comfort zone expect it. Regardless if you have a combined income of over $150k or more.

End of post

Hi Everyone

I have had a few private messages some good some not so good regarding the content of my postings and negativity as seen by some. By us we feel its honest from our perspective yes our perspective people not anyone else just ours. I now feel I have to defend my posts - wish to add I have never had a "warning or been suspended from the forum" - You know who you are- I wish to inform all and sundry that postings are from our perspective only and are honest and straight to the point. I am a strong willed strong minded female I say it as I see it offend or please and I am not apologizing for this I never have and I never will. Also there are others who have been jumped on for their posts get a grip people I thought we were "grown ups" There is no aggression in my post and I am not rude with the wording and I don't victimize

Australia is not like Home and Away and Neighbors for those still in the UK on times its more like prisoner cell block H - joking- For some individuals it is a breeze but for others its down right hard work and you have to have a strong back bone and determination to make it work. Yes there are doubts event those who find it a breeze will have doubts its just they don't voice them aloud. Yes there are tears, missing home family friends. For god-sake you are out of your comfort zone expect it. Regardless if you have a combined income of over $150k or more.

End of post

The moderating team has never had a problem with your posts Elfie. From a personal point of view I think you write about your experiences, you don't use gross generalisations slating all aussies or all of Australia.

As a member and a moderator you don't have to defend your posts. Should you find any of the PM's you receive are abusive - there is a report button on that facility which allows you to notify the moderating/admin team.

Life in generally is made of ups and down - good and bad ... Keep posting.

Guest guest9824
Hi Everyone

End of post

*like*

Elfie, go eat some Mango Ice Cream lathered in caramel sauce...:wubclub: You are true to YOU and that is a great quality in a person.

pea

Guest guest9824
What? What kind of people think its acceptable to msg you about being 'negative'?? Surely your opinion is just that, yours! And this forum is for people to share ideas, advice and opinions.

just ignore them elfie, they will see how hard it is once they arrive!

*like*

sorry Lozza its the only way my damn computer will let me *like* something.....bahhhhhh

elfie, I think it's sad that you feel the need to post this.

I think your posts are forthright, unambiguous, well balanced and very helpful to people considering a move to Perth. We may not share the same perspectives but this balance is important and from a personal point of view I think your contribution to the forum is invaluable.

This is an open forum, opinions are, from the owners point of view, valid but also subject to challenge and I think debate or discussion formed out of conjecture is a good thing. But, this has to happen in a mature, open minded and positive way without denigration or being overly eristical, otherwise it descends simply into argument.

From a mods point of view, behave everyone!

When accepting this role I was passed an enormous, flaming mod sword and, "By the Power of Grayskull" Battle Cat and I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger anyone who breaks forum rules, attacks other users, is overly sarcastic, inflammatory, belligerent, trolling or expresses a preference to Vegemite over Marmite.

As ali says, anyone who feels the need, please hit the report button. It doesn't mean an instant ban or anything, it just gives us mods an opportunity to understand what is going on, investigate, discuss between ourselves and take the action that we all feel is necessary.

Guest guest9824
elfie, I think it's sad that you feel the need to post this.

I think your posts are forthright, unambiguous, well balanced and very helpful to people considering a move to Perth. We may not share the same perspectives but this balance is important and from a personal point of view I think your contribution to the forum is invaluable.

This is an open forum, opinions are, from the owners point of view, valid but also subject to challenge and I think debate or discussion formed out of conjecture is a good thing. But, this has to happen in a mature, open minded and positive way without denigration or being overly eristical, otherwise it descends simply into argument.

From a mods point of view, behave everyone!

When accepting this role I was passed an enormous, flaming mod sword and, "By the Power of Grayskull" Battle Cat and I shall strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger anyone who breaks forum rules, attacks other users, is overly sarcastic, inflammatory, belligerent, trolling or expresses a preference to Vegemite over Marmite.

As ali says, anyone who feels the need, please hit the report button. It doesn't mean an instant ban or anything, it just gives us mods an opportunity to understand what is going on, investigate, discuss between ourselves and take the action that we all feel is necessary.

OHHHHH Matronnnnnn.....(Kenneth Williamsesque!!!).....

Porty have you swallowed a theasaurus this morning??? Is eristicals what you get when you sit on a cold bench???hmmmmmmm

It's sad that you felt you had to air this, really don't know where people get off really, all your posts are genuine and informative and there are certain people with whom you take a pinch of salt, you are not one of them.

We are very new to Mandurah and it does actually put me off posting at times, have to say POI is terrible at times and I just hope that mentality isn't rubbing off on Perth Poms, that would be a real shame. I will post my 'new to Perth soon', but just wanted to show you a bit of support really. Don't stop posting on here - sometimes people need to see what its really like here and I for one thank you for being honest.

Well Elfie Welfie, I don’t think you need to defend yourself. My view is the same, acknowledging there is a line to be drawn when it comes to shattering dreams, which I know is not your intention. But, it’s a massive move, if considering the move I would be grateful to hear the warts and all stories, the rose tinted spectacle approach is not doing anyone any favors.

I guess I would be considered to be doing well here, good job, good money etc, but it has a price, the price is I am hardly ever home. I also thought I was bringing my children to a better place, but I bought them to a socially much worse place in some respects. But this, like all views, is subjective, as we lived the semi-rural ideal in England. The difficulty with such forums is you don’tknow who you are talking to, for some Australia no doubt offers a massive improvement in standard of living and opportunities, from which they will neverlook back. For others, which is where I see myself, it can actually go a bit the other way. It’s not terrible, there are pluses and minuses, and sometimes it’s great, but overall my quality of life and quality time with my family is not great. I do have to say overall I find it (WA) quite a brutal and harsh place, as Ithink you have said before Elfie, a great social divide. When you are down you are out, no safety net. It was last estimated there are 25,000 homeless inPerth, that’s not counting couch surfers and families living in cars, which we have all seen.

There is no doubt in my mind more honesty and reality checks are required, things are not all great, it’s very expensive, very competitive and if you don’t get into a well-paid job quickly you will hemorrhage your life savings rapidly. Like you Elfie, Think people need to know this. Sunshine is not the answer to everything.

Edited by Greg

I think balance is important and to remember that people should post from their perspective, having differing views does not mean that that either poster is wrong - just their experiences are different. It's ok for people to say that haven't found things to be like that - we are all grown ups. WA isn't perfect, some people will find warts and some people won't - some people will find them and in the grand scheme of things they make little difference in their overall enjoyment of a place.

In general, I think the membership of PP are very realistic of their expectations of Perth and WA. I am very happy and content with my life in Perth and on my posts are realistic based on my experience.

Edited by ali

I think every one should realise they are not walking in your shoes Elfie . we all have our own opinions on things , a bit like marmite !

Struth , the thought of sending a PM to enforce a view on some one is ridiculous . I have a love hate relationship with Australia .. but to me that's ok. I have friends who don't even want to go back to their homelands ... not even for a holiday, My DH is one who doesn't. Live and let live folks , life's way too short !

Right off to walk my dogs in the beautiful winter sunshine ..:wink:

I think every one should realise they are not walking in your shoes Elfie . we all have our own opinions on things , a bit like marmite !

Struth , the thought of sending a PM to enforce a view on some one is ridiculous . I have a love hate relationship with Australia .. but to me that's ok. I have friends who don't even want to go back to their homelands ... not even for a holiday, My DH is one who doesn't. Live and let live folks , life's way too short !

Right off to walk my dogs in the beautiful winter sunshine ..:wink:

I'm that friend aren't I lol xx

Hi Everyone

I have had a few private messages some good some not so good regarding the content of my postings and negativity as seen by some.

End of post

Elfie, I have appreciated the honesty of your posts. If you are asked for an opinion, you give it. Keep it up!

Hi Elfie

As said by others, I can't believe you have had to defend yourself. I have never seen your posts as negative, just the reality. Your last post made me feel that you were obviously having a bad day/week/month and that you needed a cuddle and maybe a very large glass of wine and a night with the girls. You are right Perth is not for everyone and I think when I say this, most people on here want honest opinions, so that when we do make the move we have a rough idea what it is going to be like. Where ever anyone lives there will always be the good with the bad, and we need to know everything so that we are equipped to help us cope.

To be honest I have no idea how you cope having a FIFO hubby, as I am sure it makes everything twice as hard and I really do admire you for doing it. And I really know where you are coming from regarding pets, I use to spend more time with my two cats and talk them to them more than any humans that were in my life, pets take the good and the bad but are always there for a cuddle. As lots of other people have said, do NOT stop posting.

Sarah

I know where you are coming from. Had similar myself.

But, just keep plodding. Having a different perspective on here is important. I have seen a lot of people post thinking that Oz is the land of perfection - there coming to a place with no problems, a million jobs for everyone and we all live in huge houses with swimming pools and only work 2 hours a week. Then, they land and go "oh crap".

I know where you are coming from. Had similar myself.

But, just keep plodding. Having a different perspective on here is important. I have seen a lot of people post thinking that Oz is the land of perfection - there coming to a place with no problems, a million jobs for everyone and we all live in huge houses with swimming pools and only work 2 hours a week. Then, they land and go "oh crap".

Hi Stormy

All I can say in reply is "dont we" :cute: