Food shopping

travelchic

What a great post, I love that you converted it to hours worked, that does put it into perspective.

To add to other posts, you should try the Spud Shed if you are near, their meat, fruit and veg is so much cheaper than Woolies or Coles and if you buy whatever is in season, you will save even more and get to try a great variety of food you maybe wouldn't have thought to try before. Also our local IGA regularly discounts bread that still has a couple of days on its date, you can get a loaf that way for 39c or a pack of 4 bagels for $1.20 etc, stick them in the freezer and your'e good for bread all week.

Had our first electricity bill for a 2 week period and it came to $15 per week. We have a 3 bed house and are almost always charging ipads or phones or laptop, but use energy saving bulbs and are quite energy conscious, but still even if we had all our lights on i dont think it would come to $475 every 2 months?

as for spudshed, it may be cheap but the quality was pretty poor when we went.

I often buy discounted items like bread and freeze it. I cant get over how far in advance they discount food here. I bought some artisan bread in coles that still had about 5 days left on it, and it was reduced from $7.95 to 65c!! And it was delicious! And i got lactose free yoghurts that were $5.19 normal price, but reduced to just 50c with a week to go on the best before date.

anyone know when aldi is coming to wa? I have read it several times but never seen an actual timescale.

Me too, i like drovers, they have chilli peppers up here in butler/clarkson which must be affiliated as they are linked to Drovers Pastoral. Not as much selection as drovers in wanneroo but still quite nice. Have you tried any of the markets on the wanneroo road? Am keen to check them out to compare prices but not been yet.

cant wait for summer when all the nice fruit is in season and cheaper!

we had a look at the wannaroo markets wasn't keen didn't look as fresh but we live in tapping and I can walk to drovers the staff know me have also given me free blueberries which werent in season and $9 for my daughter for a very small amount cause I shop there every week I know where iam going this week staff are great food is amazing and they even play tom jones what more could a welsh girl want

TC - you know you are my kinda Gal. I must admit, I have not thought about working out the hourly rates etc, good idea :notworthy:

A bag of pasta over there is cheaper there than here in Spain. Mince and chicken are also cheaper there at the mo and of course Beef is a lot lot cheaper as I won't buy Spanish cuts and only go to the Brit butcher and have to pay a premium.

As has been said, I think it is a case of shopping around and shopping wisely. I think I will get caught out for the first couple of shops, but have prepared for that.

Chat to us Candygirl and we will guide you.....

we just had our electric bill for 64 days and it was $475.

You do not say how many folk in total are in the house, if you are using electric for heating and if so how many rooms, is there a pool pump on all the time, xboxes and TV's on standby, etc etc. $475 may be cheap depending on what you are doing. You are right though about the other issues you mention however most of them, perhaps all of them, have been in place for as long as I have been in Perth. It is hard to budget, especially for families on a set income, but nothing in your post in relation to items and related costs is an unknown really.

You do not say how many folk in total are in the house, if you are using electric for heating and if so how many rooms, is there a pool pump on all the time, xboxes and TV's on standby, etc etc. $475 may be cheap depending on what you are doing. You are right though about the other issues you mention however most of them, perhaps all of them, have been in place for as long as I have been in Perth. It is hard to budget, especially for families on a set income, but nothing in your post in relation to items and related costs is an unknown really.

I can't believe some of the previous posts find it so hard to believe it can be that much for electricity over winter and it's the same in summer. We have a new build 4x2 and there are 5 of us of which 3 are teenagers that love their gadgets! Lots of washes for sports clothes, towels, uniform, work clothes etc. We have a very busy household with kids on laptops (homework), xbox, phones charging and I do a lot of work from home on the laptop. Reverse cycle heating/cooling and no other form of heating. It is the heating and cooling that cost's so much, in spring and summer the bills drop to more like $200. I know people that have had electric bills over $600 in summer with the cost of running the pool pumps and air con. Every household is different, it really is not unheard of to pay a lot for electricity depending on your usage and number of occupants, trust me I am always walking around turning off appliances and lights and unplug everything at night. It is common sense really, of course we are going to pay a lot more than a household of just 2 occupants.

We have a new build 4x2 and there are 5 of us of which 3 are teenagers that love their gadgets! Lots of washes for sports clothes, towels, uniform, work clothes etc. We have a very busy household with kids on laptops (homework), xbox, phones charging and I do a lot of work from home on the laptop. Reverse cycle heating/cooling and no other form of heating. It is the heating and cooling that cost's so much.

That's my point depending on what folk are doing, what type of house they live in and how many people are involved then $475 may be fairly reasonable to them and for you. You hit the nail on the head when you say the expense is in the hearing using reverse cycle because that is where the most power is used. We are lucky that we have gas heaters in the two main rooms and there is no heat in the other rooms unless we turn on an electric fire and of course we do not. That way the electric bills in winter are lowish. The problem you have is that these large new 4 x 2 style homes all have big open spaces and that takes a a lot of heating. A lot of older style Aussie houses are designed differently, e.g. gas baynot points, wood burning heaters etc and no or little heating in anyother rooms. It is tough because it seems that families are being attracted and/or driven to the new builds for various reasons but they are a bugger when considering utility costs. And to top it all you have 3 teenagers to manage, luckily we only ever had one :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
You only pau the medicare levy if you earn 168k as a couple family , as for the electric 475 bucks , there's only 2 of us but ours is 160 max

I think we'll need to bin most of our gadgets and TVs (hate having so much tech anyway!) and get some of those plugs which are on timers and switch everything off! That'll save some leccie!

Everyone rants about how expensive Perth is and it is the most expensive city in the world to live..... HALLO! have you been to Singapore recently??? Our family had a major issue in the last few weeks when one of our much loved family members had a heart attack on a flight from London to Perth. He was off loaded at Singapore and hospitalised for a week so the family in Perth flew up to be with him. We were there for three weeks... stayed in a hotel to start with as it was an emergency thing... then we moved into an apartment so he could be with us as he recovered enough to move on with his journey to Perth. Yes I know that tourist Singapore is expensive, but for the last 2 weeks we were living in an apartment and self catering and shopping at a local supermarket! Anyone who complains about the prices of fresh food in Perth so needs to go shopping in a Singapore supermarket to realise that Perth is actually not that bad. You want examples??? chicken breasts at $21 a kilo. tomatoes at $8 a kilo. Dilma tea bags 50 pack at $12... I could go on but won't.

Everyone rants about how expensive Perth is and it is the most expensive city in the world to live..... HALLO! have you been to Singapore recently??? Our family had a major issue in the last few weeks when one of our much loved family members had a heart attack on a flight from London to Perth. He was off loaded at Singapore and hospitalised for a week so the family in Perth flew up to be with him. We were there for three weeks... stayed in a hotel to start with as it was an emergency thing... then we moved into an apartment so he could be with us as he recovered enough to move on with his journey to Perth. Yes I know that tourist Singapore is expensive, but for the last 2 weeks we were living in an apartment and self catering and shopping at a local supermarket! Anyone who complains about the prices of fresh food in Perth so needs to go shopping in a Singapore supermarket to realise that Perth is actually not that bad. You want examples??? chicken breasts at $21 a kilo. tomatoes at $8 a kilo. Dilma tea bags 50 pack at $12... I could go on but won't.

Sorry to hear about your news Rossmoyne, hope things are better now and your family member is on the mend.

Omg. Hope all is ok now. Sorry to hear about your family member. Must have been so scary. I've clicked on the like button. But it's not because I like the fact that you had a crisis.

Mucho love.

Debs

Thanks everyone for your kind comments... yes all is well now and the special man is in Perth staying with me for a few weeks before the medicos allow him to fly back to London. It has actually been a very bonding time for the family and an eye opening one as well because we had all been moaning about the high prices in Perth. Made us all sit up and take note on many counts I can tell you!