What Car?

ashleymhale

Hi everyone,

We arrive in Perth at the end of November and I only have a week to source a car before I start my new job. I have been trying to research what sort of car we want and I am getting conflicting opinions from people I ask. We are after a large family car. I will be using it for work and we will also be using it as a family car. So we are looking at Ford Falcon, Holden Commodore, Mitsubishi Magna type size. Looking at 2003-2005 sort of age.

I had read that Fords and Holdens were frequently seen on the highway broken down and overheated. So I was steering more towards a Mitsubishi Magna as these seem very popular. Now I have been told by a friend in NZ that they have had 4 mitsubishi's and every engine ended up blowing up!!

I was wondering what peoples experiences of these types of cars are? Who has a Falcon, Commodore and Magna and what is your experience with them? Obviously it will depend on whats available when we arrive to what we get but I want some sort of idea and not going in blind.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers guys.

Ashley, it might bear thinking about the fact that cars in WA do not require an annual MOT so the cars seen broken down or overheated could well be older non maintained cars or cars that had had no maintenance. I owned an older (86) model ford falcon when I was backpacking and the thing got me round most of Australia before I sold it, I honestly think it would have gone one forever with the right TLC.

I'm not hot on cars but I've noticed are lots of Hyundai's, Toyota's and Kia's on the road here and they are much cheaper to buy new or fairly new than your Fords, Holden's or mitsubishis. We've been driving a Hyundai i45 hire car and I am surprised at how comfortable it is.

Not sure of your budget but for instance in the paper Toyota Nortbridge are advertising a 2010 Aurion for $16k and a 2009 Camry Ateva for $11k. It might be worth stretching a few extra dollars to buy something newer and more reliable.

I wouldn't think you'll have a problem getting something within a week. Most car sale garages are located in the same street so once you find one you'll find them all and will be able to walk from one to another to strike a deal (which I'm told they are more willing to make than they were previously).

I hope this is of some help.

Lou

Depends on your needs really

Personally id avoid a Holden and a Hyundai Elantra - very uncomfortable car.... as for the rest of the Hyundai cannot comment. As above lots of Toyotas on the road and Kia - give a good warentee

We drive a Mitsubishi lancer and thats fine for our needs.

ps one with 4 wheels is a good bit of advice :cute:

Long post, and a bit rambly .. main thing is what you want it for and how much are you willing to spend?

The big four that size used to be the Commodore, Falcon, Camry and Magna.

The first two are RWD, the last two FWD. That's the main choice. The RWD can come with bigger engines, but is usually heavier on fuel (due to the layout).

So it really depends on what you want. 10 year old Ford/Holden are a bit more 'old school' with regards to toys, technology and styling (especially the interior). But a lot are used as Taxis (where LPG conversions are common) and the 6 cylinder engines are fairly bullet proof (V6 in the Holden, I6 in the Ford).

The Magna and Camry are fairly bland in comparison, few more toys. Being a lot more 'white goods'.

Nissan now have the Altima, but it's fairly new (so still expensive).

The Falcon - at least go for a BA (the AU was rubbish). The newer FG was a real step up in quality though. The G6E Turbo is an awesome car.

Commodore - (I've got an HSV GTS, 6 liter V8, and it's bags of fun.) The earlier supercharged V6s were not reliable. It's basically a generation or three from the old Vauxhall Omega. Push for at least a VE SS if you can, the new VFs will probably be out of your price range (as they are only a year old).

SUVs seem to be the fashion now. With the Prado being the best in my view. But then all 4x4 Toyotas really are great (I've got a Hilux, it's awesome). They also do the smaller Rav4 - wich can be good, depending on the model, but the smallest isn't really family size.

Nissan have the X-Trail. Mostly seen on the side of the road with police speeding equipment in the back.

Mitsubishi do the Pajero. Which seems to be quite good as well.

Kia and Hyundai are also popular. But not really in the bigger cars. Only the US really get the nice big cars in their range.

I'd personally not own one as a lot of the range is uninspiring (there are a few highlights, but they are generally FWD econo-boxes).

The top three sellers in Australia at the moment are the Mazda 3 (zoom zoom), the Toyota Corolla (no birds car rental) and the Hilux. The first two are a little small compared.

Edited by Bibbs

I have an old hail damaged Kia Sportage. It has four wheels and we can all fit in and put stuff in the back including a wet, sandy dog, surf boards and wetsuits. It cost $2k, it judders occasionally and one of the belts is slipping but in two years I've changed the oil regularly and it seems to be happy with us.

We started with a suzuki ignis its ancient and done 280k now but it all in working order it is now my work car. Here is Kev the gerbil sitting safely in his seat. He has been to lot of countries now. Sorry we have a warped sense of humour and take pics of him were ever we go .................

2013-05-19 14.46.58.jpg

Take a bit of time to also think about what you want a car for. We have a 1997 Ford Falcon, very good condition, brought for the princely sum of $2400. This is a great car for long distances (did 800K in 1 day very comfortably), or taking out visitors, but running a 4 litre car all the time is pretty expensive in fuel. My wife burns $40-50 on her general motoring.

For just around town motoring, then go for something smaller, Perth really isnt that big, so no hardship for a modern small ecobox.

I use Gumtree when I'm looking for cars, and its worked well. With the migrant workforce here, people are moving counties / states, so are keen at the end of their stay to move on. 2003-2005 cars are way less than $10K.

There's plenty of cars here, so picking one up is not a problem.

Nick

I have an old hail damaged Kia Sportage. It has four wheels and we can all fit in and put stuff in the back including a wet, sandy dog, surf boards and wetsuits. It cost $2k, it judders occasionally and one of the belts is slipping but in two years I've changed the oil regularly and it seems to be happy with us.

I too have a Kia sportage, not had any problems with it at all and meets all our needs - including the vistors suitcases in a big boot.

We recently bought a Hyundai Getz.. From previous family ownership I know they're a good car. I had wanted a falcon or commodore but the wife couldn't reach the pedals!

As I've never owned one of the cars you have short listed, I can only go on reputation and past experience of owning cheap cars.

If you're short on cash and need a car.. Buy on condition rather than age, and buy Japanese.

Hi all,

What are suv Great Walls like?

Horrid. Really shocking.

They use European designs from 20ish years ago, and put modern bumpers on them.

Someone I know works for the government visiting aboriginal sites in Great Walls. Within 30k everything was either broken, breaking, or falling off.

Usually awful safety too. Another Chinese car, have a look where the front wheel goes.

There is a reason they are so cheap.

Most of the Mitsu dealers are offering 4x4 diesel Tritons for $31990 inclusive, which may be the bargain of the century.

Not a fan of diesel. But yeah, that's an awesome price. I've seen Navaras for not a lot more as well.

I bet there is a new model round the corner. There is a new Hilux due soon too.