Beany bears

Lou8670

My 7 year old has a favourite teddy which is filled with wheat and lavender and is heated in the microwave. He's been watching Nothing to Declare: Australia and is now worrying as to whether he can take his favourite microwaveable penguin. He knows he would have to declare it in the customs form but he be allowed to take it into Australia?

Mummy of a very distressed little boy

Hi Lou, when we last went to Perth on holiday I had taken on of those cusioney things you put around your neck, my mum had just given it to me for the flight but I didn't even use it, at customs in Oz they scanned the cases on arrival and saw this thing in my luggage...well you would think it had cocaine in it the grilling I got for bringing it as it had lavender and things in it (I didn't even know what was in it)! So I would say definitely don't bring it, my daughter got one that you heat in the microwave for xmas and I shall have to accidentally 'lose' it in the next couple of months! I believe they can sometimes charge you at customs if they have to confiscate things and destroy them.

Aaahhh, good shout Lou, I hadn't even considered this! We have one with a wheat pillow in it's tummy, but the pillow is removable so I guess we'll just leave that behind (even though it came from Australia in the first place!). I guess your sons doesn't have removable bits, you could always empty it and refill it once you get there? Gotta love 'Nothing to declare', essential viewing for those making the move :laugh:

Perhaps you could see if they can be bought over here and then 'lose' the current one towards the end of the flight?!!

Unfortunately I've suggested this to him but he says it has to be his penguin as the filling has leaked into one wing and not the other so it wont be the same; and in any case it won't smell the same!

Good idea though to empty and refill it as, if it leaked already, the stuffing should leak into the wing again. Anyone know where I can the filling in Australia or do I have to buy another microwaveable teddy and gut it?!?

Edited by Lou8670

Oh no, I've just read this thread out to my 9 year old, who I didn't think would be bothered about his cuddly dog 'Tesco' which he has had since birth, but he's just had a major breakdown worried he won't be able to take it. I've just reassured him Tesco should be fine as he's been to Oz before :biggrin:

As for Penguin, at least we now have a plan to get him into Australia! My son likes that idea but has said we must sprinkle some sleeping powder on Penquin before we operate :err:

Lou

Edited by Lou8670

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apologies, completely forgot about this.....yippee floppy dog and Bertie 'No Eyes' escaped without detection:) and now on the run!!

"Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers bears of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the B-Team."

Joking aside, thankfully all our paperwork was in order along with the customs lady being a damn nice person who understood the toys were the kids prize possessions and didn't even concern her. She was more worried about the dirt on my golf shoes.