Would like your opinions

verystormy

We are going through pre start at the moment (starting to build our own place). Part of the builder deal was stone bench tops. This means things like essa stone which is a artificial stone. However, we have the option of a free upgrade to real stone "granite" in a range of types.

But my wife is uncertain if people like it (for re sale purposes though hope we don't sell).

What do you think? Artificial stone or the real thing?

We have granite work tops but we're not in Perth so can't advise on how it'll affect the resale. I love granite work tops; only downside is we find we have to be careful otherwise lots of tiny holes appear in your clothes....around the point where your tummy rubs up against the edge of the work top :embarrassed:

Personally I would go for real stone, as I like it much better. However here there does seem to be a culture of going for the fake version of things over the real one. But, I cant see why it would decrease a re-sale value to have the real stone, if you came to sell and people dont like it, they could always replace it. Bottom line - go for what you like best - you are the ones that have to live with it, if you sell whoever buys it always has the option to replace it if its not to their taste!

We have real granite in our bathrooms and although the pattern is very random the high gloss means it really shows up all the watermarks. My sister has it in her kitchen and whenever I've cooked in it she's uber paranoid about marks and scratches, though this might just be her being a little OCD.

I think it may depend on colour.

Personally if I had the choice I'd be going with stainless steel :tongue:

We are going through pre start at the moment (starting to build our own place). Part of the builder deal was stone bench tops. This means things like essa stone which is a artificial stone. However, we have the option of a free upgrade to real stone "granite" in a range of types.

But my wife is uncertain if people like it (for re sale purposes though hope we don't sell).

What do you think? Artificial stone or the real thing?

Hi

We had granite bench tops in the kitchen in our previous house we had built and it looked fantastic and was very easy to keep clean. We have Essastone in the current house and it doesn't look anywhere near as good and is harder to keep looking immaculate. Wish we had granite.

In the past when i have encountered granite benchtops i do not remember them being as noisy as the stone ones we have in our rental. You have to be so careful when you put anything down otherwise it makes a god awful noise. For this reason i would not choose stone, which seems all the rage here.

Anyone else know about noise effects from granite?

My mum has beautiful oak worktops but is so paranoid about watermarks i have no idea why she chose them!

For resale, I'm not sure anyone would really care too much.

For example, I've no idea what our worktops are. Not a clue.

If they were one or the other, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker.

But if they were some horrid colour (we'd seen the 70's mustard colour worktops, with matching bright red and blue in the bathrooms) it'd be an issue.

As long as it's a neutral colour and blends in with the rest of the decor, I think you'll be okay.

My estate agent told us recently , its a lot down to the speck ( higher the better ) over here with the selling and pricing. with the obvious of course location , plots blah blah ... :) So if you can get it for free or add it for not much ... do :)

Were nearly finished our build , painters in today YEAHHH .. getting excited and nervous ! Good luck with yours .

My estate agent told us recently , its a lot down to the speck ( higher the better ) over here with the selling and pricing. with the obvious of course location , plots blah blah ... :) So if you can get it for free or add it for not much ... do :)

Were nearly finished our build , painters in today YEAHHH .. getting excited and nervous ! Good luck with yours .

Who have you buit with?