Health care, wife expecting...confused!!!

mwjw

Hi,

Trying to work out, what plans would cover my wife and our baby (when born). Looked at the comparison sites, still none the wiser!.

Im pretty sure we don't qualify for medicare, on a 489 visa. As long as we know we can get cover for the birth and after care and which ones, we can rest easy!

Any help appreciated!!

Mike

I can't help you there coz I haven't got a clue about the healthcare cover. I just wanted to say aren't we lucky in the UK. A baby starts to make his/her entrance to the world and we can turn up at any hospital and and be assisted without any worries about who will foot the bill. It must be a great worry to you and your wife and I'm sure someone who's been in your situation will come along and advise you. Or maybe a midwife will know.

Debs

I can't help you there coz I haven't got a clue about the healthcare cover. I just wanted to say aren't we lucky in the UK. A baby starts to make his/her entrance to the world and we can turn up at any hospital and and be assisted without any worries about who will foot the bill. It must be a great worry to you and your wife and I'm sure someone who's been in your situation will come along and advise you. Or maybe a midwife will know.

Debs

ive been trying to help Debs, but don't understand much about healthcare plans xx

Guest guest9824

We have really good health cover here, it's been espeically good for orthodontist work for the girls, but it's quite expensive each month. I won't scare you with how much.....:swoon:..I know the NHS gets some bad press, but I think it's one of the only countries that offers a free health service, and I have always had a very positive experience with the NHS, also had very good service here too...

Hi, My wife is also expecting. For most private health funds, you need to have been a member for 12 months before claiming, so if your wife's already pregnant it's unlikely you'll find a private fund to help you. We fell pregnant when on a 457 (have since got PR), so were on reciprocal medicare. We have been going to Osborne Park hospital. We have never ever been asked to show any form of identification or visa, and have never paid a cent. If there are any problems during or after the birth, and you have to go to King Eddie, that is also covered apparently.

Hi, hopefully the last person has answered your question, but even as a visitor you are entitled to medicare, under the reciprocal agrrement.

Think of medicare as a 1/2 NHS, you get most of the cover provided by the NHS, but some things you pay for. You are entitled to visit doctors, use hospitals,a dn get treatment as required. What medicare doesnt cover is optical, dental, and any private treatments (thats just some examples, not a full list).

If you need non urgent surgery etc, then you would wait in line like you would with the NHS.

For the first year we were here, then we've used medicare, including x rays, cortozone injections, etc, etc, and we didnt pay anything, just made sure who we went to were bulk billing. The service has been excellent, and the people great.

We have had to pay for some things, we needed an MRI scan which was $350 after a 50% rebate from medicare, which sounds alot, but we were seen the same day at 9pm at night, so the flexability was worth it. I also have a monthly prescription which costs around $30, so more than an NHS issue, but still not bad.

Overall, I think you'll be fine, and best of luck coming out here. We've not had rain for nearly 3 months now, just days of bright sunshine and 30+ deg.C - fantastic

Nick

As others have said you wont be covered on any private policy for the birth as you have to have held it for 12 months before the baby is born. The public sector however is free under the reciprocal agreement, so you shouldn't have any fees for the actual birth. You might have some out of pocket fees depending on whether your OB is over the medicare threshold, but that wouldn't be covered even if you were private.

We have really good health cover here, it's been espeically good for orthodontist work for the girls, but it's quite expensive each month. I won't scare you with how much.....:swoon:..I know the NHS gets some bad press, but I think it's one of the only countries that offers a free health service, and I have always had a very positive experience with the NHS, also had very good service here too...

Is the NHS really free though - part of NI contributions are transferred to the NHS

Guest guest9824
Is the NHS really free though - part of NI contributions are transferred to the NHS

True, but I guess when it's taken at source, you don't miss what you don't see, that's how I think about it anyway. :)