Starting pre-primary early?!?

The Jamesy's

Hi everyone,

Okay, so we are heading to Perth in the next 6-8 weeks-YAY!!! We will be heading NOR and was just wondering if anyone had started their child in pre primary early? Our youngest (of 4 girls) won't be 5 until the 16th July-16 days past the cut off date of 30th June. She has just started reception here in the UK and is doing so well-as in she is finally sleeping through the night every night-a complete Godsend believe you me!!!! She is one of those children that I think need stimulating physically and mentally. And although I don't mind having her keep me company at home and going to Kindy, I think she would prefer to go all day like her sisters. It will be a bit like going backwards for her.

So, has anyone managed to start their child earlier or know of anyone who has? Was just wondering how flexible the schools might be on this as it is only 16 days. She is quite bright and really enjoys school so I don't think it will harm her in any way being able to go to school full time instead of part time??

Thanks for any replies

Jess xx

This is an interesting post. My daughter was 4 on the 10th July and also started Reception a few weeks ago. She LOVES it and was so ready! I felt it would still be worth her going even though I knew it would only be for 6ish weeks until we go (flying out on the 23rd October). I have been able to secure her a place at Kindy in a great school local to where we'll be settling but of course this won't start until after the Christmas break and is only 2.5 days per weeks. I hadn't considered enquiring about her starting pre-primary early. I suppose a good thing out of starting later is that she'll be going from being the youngest of the class in the UK to the oldest in Perth and this certainly has it's advantages. The difficulty I have is that I am unable to compare Perth pre-primary and UK Reception as I don't have any experience in Perth. I certainly wouldn't want her to feel out of her depth or feel at a disadvantage to the others who had had the opportunity to experience Kindy for a year. I may see if I can discuss this with the school in person after we arrive.

As far as I know they don't allow children to start early. I have a child in Kindy and someone in the same situation has just moved from the UK so their child has done almost a full school year in the UK. I have got a child in pre-primary too and you will probably find that your child won't be working at the level they are in the UK until at least midway through the pre-primary year. Next year is the first year that Kindly is compulsory so the work they do is pretty basic - shapes, basic phonics etc. You could pay for somewhere else that has a structured program me to make up the extra days.

This is an interesting post. My daughter was 4 on the 10th July and also started Reception a few weeks ago. She LOVES it and was so ready! I felt it would still be worth her going even though I knew it would only be for 6ish weeks until we go (flying out on the 23rd October). I have been able to secure her a place at Kindy in a great school local to where we'll be settling but of course this won't start until after the Christmas break and is only 2.5 days per weeks. I hadn't considered enquiring about her starting pre-primary early. I suppose a good thing out of starting later is that she'll be going from being the youngest of the class in the UK to the oldest in Perth and this certainly has it's advantages. The difficulty I have is that I am unable to compare Perth pre-primary and UK Reception as I don't have any experience in Perth. I certainly wouldn't want her to feel out of her depth or feel at a disadvantage to the others who had had the opportunity to experience Kindy for a year. I may see if I can discuss this with the school in person after we arrive.

I also have a daughter who turned 4 on 10th July!!!! how strange is that!! She also has just started reception and I too have been a bit worried by this situation as she will have been at school for a few months by the time we are hopefully leaving. I feel so bad for her having to settle into a school only to take her out fly her half way across the world and get her to do it all over again, I keep telling myself that will all be worth it but I can't help feeling guilty for doing it.

Michelle x

I don't think the schools will let them start early as everyone will want to do the same and the government won't fund it. I asked about mine going up a year as they were finding the work too easy after having been pushed at their last school but they just laughed and said they don't usually let them. Luckily mine have birthdays in May and June; god forbid if they had had birthdays in July; there's no way my eldest boy would have gone into year 4 when he would now be in year 6 back home :eek:

Good luck with everything and hope you can find a nursery/ play groups to entertain them until they start school in WA.

Lou :smile:

I also have a daughter who turned 4 on 10th July!!!! how strange is that!! She also has just started reception and I too have been a bit worried by this situation as she will have been at school for a few months by the time we are hopefully leaving. I feel so bad for her having to settle into a school only to take her out fly her half way across the world and get her to do it all over again, I keep telling myself that will all be worth it but I can't help feeling guilty for doing it.

Michelle x

whats even ven more strange is that not only were both of our daughters 4 on the 10th July, but we're both also called Michelle! When are you hoping to head over?

I'm in the same situation as my son's birthday is 28th July. He'll be half way through Primary 2 (in Scotland) when we leave only to have to go back into Year 1 when we get to Perth. I didn't even ask the school about moving up a year, although I did check what they will be learning in Yr 1. He'll be soooooooooooo far ahead it's not funny! I guess he's still at school full time so not quite the same situation...

I'm in the same situation as my son's birthday is 28th July. He'll be half way through Primary 2 (in Scotland) when we leave only to have to go back into Year 1 when we get to Perth. I didn't even ask the school about moving up a year, although I did check what they will be learning in Yr 1. He'll be soooooooooooo far ahead it's not funny! I guess he's still at school full time so not quite the same situation...

I think it's important to remember that you are entering a totally different education system in another country. My daughter had started HS in the UK for 3 months but year 7 here was the last year in Primary - she never once considered herself as 'going back' - but rather an opportunity to learn different things - her school did Japanese for example, but more importantly an opportunity to really settle.

I think it's important to remember that you are entering a totally different education system in another country. My daughter had started HS in the UK for 3 months but year 7 here was the last year in Primary - she never once considered herself as 'going back' - but rather an opportunity to learn different things - her school did Japanese for example, but more importantly an opportunity to really settle.

I agree that it will give him an opportunity to settle which is the most important thing. He thinks he's 'going back' though and it's yet another reason he's not moving to Australia! But, he's only 6 so he won't even realise... I think primary school sounds quite similar insofar as learning goes, at least for early years.

There aren't exceptions in the UK either are there? Cut off date is 31st of August isn't it? I don't remember there being any leeway to change that unless things have changed. Change your mindset from trying to change it and go with it. They might start one year later but they also finish one year later, and its not goingto make one iota to them in the longer term. Us parents just worry to much. The vast majority do just fine.