UK DIPLOMA Nurse- Can I work in OZ with NEW APHRA rule re Degree required????

LoopyLauren

Hi,

Any news re this topic would be greatly recieved.

I am UK based RN and currently awaiting VISA app decision.

Since We started this process, APHRA have announced that RN's now need to have a degree to be able to register with AMNAC.

I have almost 20 yrs experience and I have been registered in both NSW and NT previously when on a working holiday visa.

Is it true that I can not longer work as an RN in OZ???

Dreams shattered when I heard this news....

I have contacted APHRA by email and got what looks like an automated respons,e stating that I would need to use a specifc form to register.......But no definitive YES or NO.

Any ideas's????

Cheers

Lauren ( A fed up grumpy nurse, We've been undergoing visa process for 18 mths to hear what could be potentially CRAP news!)

Hi guys, someone may correct me here if I'm wrong but as I understand it if you have previously held registration in aus before you should be ok. Ahpra have stated that if you have child, learning disability, or mental health diplomas in nursing they are being granted registration with 12 months supervised practice. Not sure what this entails, not sure ahpra know! If you are adult diploma, it seems that topping up to degree in uk is the way to go! Hope this helps! And good luck with ahpra, they are a funny old bunch! X

Hi guys, someone may correct me here if I'm wrong but as I understand it if you have previously held registration in aus before you should be ok. Ahpra have stated that if you have child, learning disability, or mental health diplomas in nursing they are being granted registration with 12 months supervised practice. Not sure what this entails, not sure ahpra know! If you are adult diploma, it seems that topping up to degree in uk is the way to go! Hope this helps! And good luck with ahpra, they are a funny old bunch! X

HI,

Thanks for your comments. It may make sense, As the one line reply I got from APHRA, just stated that I need to use a certain form to apply.

I hope so, But after reading all the threads on here, I am not holding out any hope.

IN response the other reply, (person in similar situation as mine), I have been doing some digging today and it would seem that you need to be able to prove some study in Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics and medication management etc... It's on the Aphra website re International RN's looking for criteria to register.

I don't think my Project 2000 course covered this. So I am sure they will insist on an update or proof of study on this matter. I am going to check with my local uni whether you can undertake such a module perhaps??

I am way behind on studying and I can't even say I have done any degree level study since qualifying... just the odd short course, but nothing to write home about.

Think this is not going to be a simple process and I am almost too scared to dip any further.... ahhhhhh!!!!! RED bloody tape

Hi,

Similar situation to yourself, I am a enrolled nurse which is a diploma, which was achieved in NZ and I have eight years experience in NZ.

Came here because Auss and NZ have a mutual agreement with nurses, and was told I would have to apply for a graduate course of which I had missed because you have to apply in June Feb and March, very confusing and there is no guarantee you will get on a course.

I have heard that a lot of UK nurses are coming out here and have to work as health care assistants, don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I would keep trying maybe someone will give you a break.

As for myself I went back to NZ a couple of weeks ago and got a job straight away so going back, been here nine months and have no job.

But we are all different so hopefully you will have a more positive reaction.

Good luck.

this was not good news to my ears either - i am now enrolled on the top up course in January. And i somehow have to pass this dreaded ielts test !!

I have been wondering whether to get myself on a top up course, But I have two young children and no grandparents in the vicinity, So I can't imagine trying to study at the mo! I am ultimately waiting on the visa application coming through, because if it's not granted then I don't see the point in busting a gut to get a degree etc. Our visa App has been in now since the end of Sept, so any time between 8-12 weeks after that, we'll know more. We are also keen to just get out there now, So I may consider studying out there ( we live in a tiny house and don;t want to move twice, just keen to get there and get settled) I am considering another baby, so it may be that we get over their and try for another and I could enroll in a course maybe.

Re your IELTS, It' s a bugger of a test. I think their are definite trick questions on the reading exam, I had a few occasions where it was not clear which was the definite answer, as i believed there were two possible answers for eg, so I had to place a guess

on a couple of occasions.

I also had a few external issues on a couple of exams, mobile phone in room vibrating etc, arguments outside exam room. I made a complaint and managed to get one exam paid for because of it.

I got the 7 required on the Advanced and then dropped in my points so needed an 8, I was told this at 35 weeks preg ( at which point i could not sit or walk for more than 5 mins with spd, not great when expected to sit in exam for 3 hrs!) and sat it immediately, did not go well, then again at 37 weeks, The I had a new born.... All in all, it was 5 goes! Nightmare. But I don't think it's un common.

What I have been told by my agent is, that there is another option for the English language test now, so maybe check it out, Although if you are already familiar with IELTs, may be best to stick to what you know.

Good luck. Practice xx

Oh yes, how long is the top up course? Full or part time?? What subject's etc??

Hi,

Similar situation to yourself, I am a enrolled nurse which is a diploma, which was achieved in NZ and I have eight years experience in NZ.

Came here because Auss and NZ have a mutual agreement with nurses, and was told I would have to apply for a graduate course of which I had missed because you have to apply in June Feb and March, very confusing and there is no guarantee you will get on a course.

I have heard that a lot of UK nurses are coming out here and have to work as health care assistants, don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I would keep trying maybe someone will give you a break.

As for myself I went back to NZ a couple of weeks ago and got a job straight away so going back, been here nine months and have no job.

But we are all different so hopefully you will have a more positive reaction.

Good luck.

So you were in perth for 9 mths and could not find a position?? What area of Nursing were u after?

Hi LoopyLauren,

Good Luck with your visa application.You are required to obtain an IELTS at professional level and then submit your information through ANMAC to have your qualifications recognised as being required,( all part of visa process) however ANMAC do not grant registration, it is AHPRA. As regards obtaining nurse registration, through AHPRA/ NMBA, if you previously held registration in Australia, as I have read it, The National Law states, you should be granted registration, even with your diploma in nursing. However, and this is the important bit, have you your registration number from Australia? Get on to NMBA website and e mail them your questions and how to reactivate your registration and what is required. This should help, however patience is key, as the cogs move slowly in these organisations. Good Luck.

Hi Clairej456,

As regards the IELTS...just some advice, get the books, CD and any on line tutoring, and then you will be fine. Its not as simple as speaking English and coming form England it will be easy. Get the workbooks and put some time into it and you'll be fine.

hi there NikRor and LoopyLauren ;

The top up to degree is from feb - may. an 8000 word piece not sure what on yet but it is something to do with research. I have to go in for 10 sessions over that period of time for 3 hours and the rest is online. i then hand in work in sept. i will be working full time around this so i am dreading it, also with a 4 year old !! if i had known i needed the degree i would of done it when i was at uni finishing the diploma....frustrating !!!

The ielts - well that is also frustrating !!! the one i sat i really struggled with the reading, it was so hard !! and misleading like you said. some of the true/false/not given well they were ridiculous !! i am convinced they are just out to make money and trick us !!! it was wierd that i actually got a 7 on that and a 6.5 on writing - so now more revision and after all these months we are no further on!!

x

Hi clairej456

It does seem hard, but keep going, you'll get there, no problem. Yes,my advice, get a Degree, from a well established university, to gain nurse registration with AHPRA in Australia. As they interpret The National Law, they will not give RN with Dip HE registration, may refuse, or refer to an approved Bridging Program, cost to be paid by yourself, staring at $10000, over 3 months. Also factor in, no money coming in while you do the course and child care costs and living expenses. Best choice, do degree in England, easier nurse application in Australia, however it may still take weeks for AHPRA to process documents. Good Luck, All the best with your studies.

I have just been granted provisional registration as a clinical psychologist so slightly different but wanted to post a reply. I applied for what looked like a straightforward transition to Oz for a sponsored job back in May. For psychs they say it should take 6-8 weeks. I have come to Oz on a holiday visa as need registration with AHPRA before I can get my 457 visa. Part of my reason to come without my visa was to go to AHPRA in person to sort out the issues that were arising. I'm in my fourth week of not being able to work, get the kids into school and my husband can't aplly for work and AHPRA have still not sent the letter that they promised over a week ago that I need to give to immigration!!! My word of caution to anyone going through AHPRA is wait in the UK until you have registration. Luckily we sold our house with some profit so we can live but much of that is now gone and still no signs of getting into work yet! The most stessful thing about all of this has been the reg process. Having said that Perth is amazing and we love it here so good luck with it all. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can realise your dream.