Oz winter, things to do?

rpakey

Good post. I was thinking about this myself, as the sun will set earlier too.....I'm thinking I can still enjoy some evening walks, taking in the fresh air and warm evening breeze. Got to be nicer than freezing rain and wind in England! I've been here a few months so only had the hot weather and long nights so far!

Go for walks, cycle rides, jogging in the middle of the day because it's only 20 degrees and not 36!!! Picnics in the park (you might need a cardy some days but you'll still need your sunnies!), camping north of Perth, visit the city or Fremantle. You can do pretty much the same tbh (but without sweating [emoji87][emoji87][emoji87]!)

Edited by Lou8670

We tend to eat a little earlier in winter because once the sun goes down the evenings are cold and we like to eat outside. During the day the winter sports take over - mountain biking in the hills or along the coast/river, fishing and once I get my bike licence, a bit of bush bashing and camping. Winter opens up a different landscape and we find going south is just too cold so it's nice to head north where it's warmer.

In winter you tend to layer up - leaving the house with a shirt, a cardi and a jacket and by midday your strolling around the streets in only the shirt. Investing in some good Gore-tex is sensible, we get more rain than London apparently but here it just comes down in one lump. If you're out in it you'll be soaked in seconds so a decent waterproof jacket and trousers means you can still walk through the bush on rainy days and have a completely different adventure.

• 1 month later...

We went to Scitech today...it's rained all day yesterday (we had a rare movie day indoors!) and it was threatening again today! Scitech was fab! We only visited 2 areas and spent over 3 hours exploring all the interactive exhibits! We will definitely have to go back! We didn't even make it into the planetarium or any of the shows they put on.

We took the kids to the Museum of Western Australia yesterday, easily passing the wet part of the day. They had a special event for the kids to find out about the local fauna. The boys got to touch an Echidna and a bob tail lizard and they were thrilled about that :). By the time we'd had a lovely lunch, the weather had brightened enough for ice cream in the square and a visit to Floreat beach around 4pm. All in all, a good day was had, which we were glad of as we were celebrating being here for six months!

It poured down today, so we used our scoupon vouchers and went ice skating. The boys loved it. I thought it was hilarious to see the dozens of Zimmer frames lined up for the beginners to use. Not a granny in sight. Tip: wrap up warm if you are just watching as its blooming freezing. Defo be back soon. Did lovely chips too!