Anyone have CV tips?

Scotty

Hi Everyone,

Now I have my visa it is time to tailor my CV for applying for jobs. Was just wondering if anyone has any tips? What to include / what not to include?

I had a recruiter advise me a couple of years ago to make my CV punchy so there is plenty to talk about at the interview but I am thinking that I need to expand on it since applying from UK.

Is there anything people leave off? Like current address or anything? I found some tips that said to get an Australian phone number through skype or something but not sure about this.

Would be good to hear what others have to say.

Thanks

Also, I usually put references on request but should I put their details in now.

I can only suggest goggle for examples. I am using the following service for my wifes CV, as she has never had to apply for work, having been in the one organization 28 years, and it is helping. https://www.myperfectcv.co.uk There is a cost. The other thing I am presently doing, is put together a CV you think is good, and apply for a few roles, you don't particularly want, and see if you get any response. I have taken this approach with my own CV, and have had some good interest (I have a skype interview tomorrow), hope this helps.

Hi Scotty,

I am in the same boat as you so I would be interested to hear tips also.

I have done some googling and is does seem that an Aus CV is slightly different.

I have already done my husband's CV for him. Whether I have done a good job yet, we will have to wait and see?! He is in the motor trade so I ended up with a profile ie brief intro, key skills and expertise, work history, qualifications, achievements (I reckoned this was an Aus thing??), and full references x3.

I am procrastinating over my own CV a little bit, but I am still not sure of the 'Aus' CV way? I mean I have come across tips that say I must give my entire work history, however I would say that 1999-2011 working in a lot of places as a waitress and other unskilled roles would be completely irrelevant to now seeking a town planner job in local government?!? A UK CV wouldn't normally cover the entire work history in this case? So I am not quite sure how to get round this.

Definitely interested in any CV tips too.

Good luck with the job hunt!

I endorse Verystormy's comment. There is a serious downturn in the economy in WA and prospective employers are looking locally at the moment unless you have an outstanding talent that is not available in WA.

CV's here can also be called Resume... so be aware of this terminology.

As a newly retired HR Recruiter, I can comment that usually employers want to see what strengths you have in the roles you have performed. These need to be addressed in dot points and succinct under the heading of the position you performed, on your CV/Resume.

As I said earlier, there is a downturn in WA currently in every level from mining, right down to supermarket check-out chick, so you need to make your CV/Resume appealing. Bear in mind that for every job advertised at the moment, there are 30 plus applicants, so you need to stand out.

My suggestion is that when you apply for an advertised position, that you tailor your CV/Resume for that position, and that your application letter should explain explicitly why you are are the best candidate for the position. Those sorts of applications catches the recruitment officer's attention, and even if you are not part of the field assessed for that particular position, you will be remembered for other positions/posts that come up in the future.

Good luck in your search for a job..... not easy as a migrant..... just be prepared to do absolutely anything to pay the bills until you get what suits you..... so many of us have done this so just sharing the experience and advice.

I endorse Verystormy's comment. There is a serious downturn in the economy in WA and prospective employers are looking locally at the moment unless you have an outstanding talent that is not available in WA.

CV's here can also be called Resume... so be aware of this terminology.

As a newly retired HR Recruiter, I can comment that usually employers want to see what strengths you have in the roles you have performed. These need to be addressed in dot points and succinct under the heading of the position you performed, on your CV/Resume.

As I said earlier, there is a downturn in WA currently in every level from mining, right down to supermarket check-out chick, so you need to make your CV/Resume appealing. Bear in mind that for every job advertised at the moment, there are 30 plus applicants, so you need to stand out.

My suggestion is that when you apply for an advertised position, that you tailor your CV/Resume for that position, and that your application letter should explain explicitly why you are are the best candidate for the position. Those sorts of applications catches the recruitment officer's attention, and even if you are not part of the field assessed for that particular position, you will be remembered for other positions/posts that come up in the future.

Good luck in your search for a job..... not easy as a migrant..... just be prepared to do absolutely anything to pay the bills until you get what suits you..... so many of us have done this so just sharing the experience and advice.

Sounds like someone is offering to review CV's . Haha just joking.