How safe is kinross ?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm wondering how safe (in terms of burglaries) kinross is. How important would it be to have security screens on the windows and doors, or for kinross would it ok go without these things?

There are a high number of home burglaries in the Northern suburbs at the moment, I think whichever suburb you pick is much of a muchness.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

You would be ill advised not to have security doors and/or screens at a property, and also a security alarm, for any property you lived in anywhere.      A member of my family lives in Kinross and has been there since the suburb was initially developed and they have never had any issues.   However, they do have a monitored security system, security doors and window screens, and a very large dog!   Said dog is a sook, but being a German Shepherd he can be a bit scary until you know what a butterball he is!

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

I swear I sometimes think I live in a different Perth to other people.  Yes there is crime but seriously it's not that bad.

It depends. Most of the current crime stats are significantly higher than the UK. The fact it doesn't seem like it is I think down to two things. First, there is a thing in criminology known as the sunshine factor. This is where in places that have pleasant weather, people perceive crime lower. The second is reporting. It often just doesn't make the news. 

I am not surprised thought that there is currently crime. WA has seen tens of thousands of people laid off from mining. Most of these guys have a lifestyle - mortgage / bills / debts that need a mining salary to pay for. But, it isn't there. Then of course there is the major issue of drugs in particular ICE. Do not underestimate how big an issue this is. I can take you to some WA towns where you struggle to find someone not addicted. 

1 minute ago, verystormy said:

It depends. Most of the current crime stats are significantly higher than the UK. The fact it doesn't seem like it is I think down to two things. First, there is a thing in criminology known as the sunshine factor. This is where in places that have pleasant weather, people perceive crime lower. The second is reporting. It often just doesn't make the news. 

I am not surprised thought that there is currently crime. WA has seen tens of thousands of people laid off from mining. Most of these guys have a lifestyle - mortgage / bills / debts that need a mining salary to pay for. But, it isn't there. Then of course there is the major issue of drugs in particular ICE. Do not underestimate how big an issue this is. I can take you to some WA towns where you struggle to find someone not addicted. 

I've lived here 12 years so I don't need telling anything.  I am aware crime/drugs happens and I am not comparing to the UK.  Where in my post did I mention the UK.  As usual it's you that seems to mention any comparison with the UK!

• Like 1

Agreed Stormy, it's very high the crime rate, especially for such a small place. As mentioned on another thread, my husband did work at a high up detectives home the other week who is from England (worked in Slough). He can't believe the amount of home burglaries, car thefts that lead to high speed police chases through the suburbs, nasty home invasions when there are crimes committed against the lady/daughter of the house (I needn't say anymore on that), and so on. He does say there is more going on out there that isn't reported in the press or by other means of media.This blows away the 'everything is reported here' theory which some people hang onto. I do believe that people are sheltered from a lot of the goings on.

Perth currently has the population equivalent to that of Greater Manchester and Leeds combined.   People need to realise that we are a very large city and crime is obviously going to reflect that.  Come on people, some perspective is required.

• Like 2

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Crime/Crime-Statistics-Portal/Statistics?locality=Kinross&startYear=2017&startMonth=1&endYear=2017&endMonth=12

I live over the road from Kinross in Burns Beach, hear very little about crime in Kinross, in fact Burns Beach has been in the news twice recently over Bikie kingpins being busted in our suburb with drugs cash and weapons being found, the worst that has happened in Kinross is a drug bust recently, Burns Beach also has a higher burglary statistic than Kinross, but not as high as Clarkson, we are talking petty oportunistic crime here, nothing serious, the local Community News free newspaper has a "Crime Statisics" page, Joondaplup as a whole ranks very good comapred to our neighbors Waneroo, Perth is a very safe place, we have been here 6 years now and the worst that has happened is some scrote jumped over our wall, disturbed the dogs and went back the way he came pretty sharpish.

PS, We dont have security bars or an alarm, we do have CCTV, the scrote that jumped the wall looked right into the camera on his way over, then we got his car rego as he drove away, turned it over to the bill :)

• Like 2

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Crime/Crime-Statistics-Portal/Statistics?locality=Kinross&startYear=2017&startMonth=1&endYear=2017&endMonth=12

I live over the road from Kinross in Burns Beach, hear very little about crime in Kinross, in fact Burns Beach has been in the news twice recently over Bikie kingpins being busted in our suburb with drugs cash and weapons being found, the worst that has happened in Kinross is a drug bust recently, Burns Beach also has a higher burglary statistic than Kinross, but not as high as Clarkson, we are talking petty oportunistic crime here, nothing serious, the local Community News free newspaper has a "Crime Statisics" page, Joondaplup as a whole ranks very good comapred to our neighbors Waneroo, Perth is a very safe place, we have been here 6 years now and the worst that has happened is some scrote jumped over our wall, disturbed the dogs and went back the way he came pretty sharpish.
PS, We dont have security bars or an alarm, we do have CCTV, the scrote that jumped the wall looked right into the camera on his way over, then we got his car rego as he drove away, turned it over to the bill [emoji4]

Yes been quite a few home burglaries and thefts from cars in Burns beach over the last 12 months. What about the lady on the road facing marmion, (not sure if we can mention the actual road she lives on) her home was burgled twice in the space of 3 weeks, then it could have been a 3rd time if it wasn't for her father turning up and catching people at the home again, the guy ran off and the lady in the car sped off.
When you say petty crimes what exactly do you mean? Surely not home burglaries which causes a hell of a lot of grief to families. The lady mentioned above wants to move from her home now as she and her children are too scared to live there. I agree about the fence hopping though, seems like a lot of that over here.

• 2 weeks later...

Many leave them unlocked now around the suburbs as it's costing them too much to have a window replaced all the time. An old neighbour of ours had his broken into twice, $400-500 a time. Another horrendous break in last night, this time in Hilton. This one was reported, a lot aren't!!

1 hour ago, Kathy said:

Many leave them unlocked now around the suburbs as it's costing them too much to have a window replaced all the time. An old neighbour of ours had his broken into twice, $400-500 a time. Another horrendous break in last night, this time in Hilton. This one was reported, a lot aren't!!

the one in Hilton is more than just a break in and has quite rightly been reported.   I think you are just making stuff up now. either that or you live in some really crappy suburb!!  Scaremongering at it's best!!   One of our windows was broken accidentally last year and it cost $130 to replace the glass. 

• Like 2