What do I need to rent in Perth?

Hello everyone!

We have our flights booked for 23rd Jan, our furniture is on its way, going to be stored in Perth until we are ready for it!!  I am planning on coming over in November to secure a rental property.  We are looking in Sorrento and Hillarys.  My husband grew up in Perth so we are pretty set on those areas.  Obviously we don't want to rent straight from the internet hence my trip over to check everything out and hopefully secure a property and get my boys enrolled into school so that we have a relatively smooth transition into life there. I was just wondering what I would need to secure a rental?  What do they ask for when you apply for a property, do I need ID extra deposit due to lack of credit history etc etc?

I'd appreciate any advice

thanks

x

I would imagine proof of funds if you'll be renting the property from November but not moving in until January, bank details, ID.  I know that I have been rung as a reference for a colleague.  I haven't gone through the rental process here so not 100% sure.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2017 at 04:07, Jen78 said:

To enrol in a school you will need to provide proof that you live at the address, so you will need to sort out a utility too. We came in Jan and found a rental and enrolled the girls in schools within 2 weeks no issues.

Thanks for your reply Jen. Would they not accept the lease as proof of address? Is it only utility bills?

15 hours ago, Budgie said:

Also, what did they ask for for your rental, ID, extra deposit etc? X

A lot of companies use the 100 point check  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check, it's good to have the necessary items as you may also need them for work purposes when you first start a job.

Some rentals will require you to pay a month in advance and there will also a monetary bond to pay (extra pet bond if you have pets).  When you inspect a rental, look for anything that is wrong, marked, broken etc., and take photo's and highlight them to the landlord or agent - people have said that they have had bond withheld at the end of the lease to cover things.

• Like 1

Hi, we just had visas and passports, birth certificates and bank account for ID as we didn't do medicare or driving licence until after we had the address. We had to give one months rent as a bond. We got the estate agent for our sale in UK  to write a reference re how well we kept our house, we also kept our sale brochure so they could see the photos. My friend also gave us a reference via email. We could prove funds via bank statement and we had Hubby's contract of employment stating he would start in the April but I can't remember if we had to show them or not. You could find an agent online local to where you are thinking of renting and email them with your situation and ask them what they would need to see.

For the schools, as both were local intake schools, proof of residency is very important. We needed 12 month tenancy agreement and a further 2 proof of res. One had to be utilities, e.g electricity, gas. The other had to be driving licence, landline account, bank statement at address or contents insurance. As we sorted gas, elec, insurance and internet online, we had emails to prove connection at the address and the contents insurance certificate straight away which the school accepted.

Also, passports for both the children and parents stamped with the date of entry into Australia and visas and immunisation records, which I got from the GP before we left. You could email the school and ask what you need. As I said before, we did all this in 2 weeks, really easy and straightforward.

Jen x

• Like 2