Emigrating next year with 15 yr old

Emma&Mark

Hi 

Myself, husband and two daughters are hoping to move to Perth late next year on 189 visa. By then our eldest will be 15. She is currently in year 10 here, just started GCSE course with her chosen options. How does it work in Australia in relation to GCSE equivalent and what year would she go into? Would it be possible to go back a year if necessary?

Thanks

Hi and welcome.  There isn't a GCSE equivalent, in year 10 students choose subjects that they're going to do in years 11 and 12 which is essentially a 2 year course which if they study ATAR subjects will give then a score for Uni entry.  Children are generally 17/18 when they leave school.

Here's a link to years 11/12.  I know one of my sons friends is a year older, so possible to start in year 11.  I would recommend coming for the start of the school year if your child will be entering year 11.

https://senior-secondary.scsa.wa.edu.au/the-wace/wace-requirements

This is a common fear amongst new migrants. Their kids being put back a year and sitting with toddlers.

Reality is that although the school year start and end dates are different, your kids will will be in a class of their peers same as they are in the UK.

I am friends with people who came over three years ago with a fifteen year old. She found the whole thing very weird to start with, couldn't understand what the other kids were on about, sulked and wanted to go back home on the next plane. Within six months, wild horses wouldn't get her on plane back to the UK.

4 hours ago, Emma&Mark said:

Hi Ali and thank you for your reply. My daughter is 15 in April and would be starting yr 11 in September 2018 so would she start yr 11 in Australia in January 2018?

I think so, our friends daughter will be 16 in March and goes into year 11 next year.

Hi,

We came over in Jan. Our 14 year old daughter had completed 1 term of yr 9 and started it again here in February. School yr is beg of Feb to mid Dec.

This was not an issue as it is completely different over here and gave her time to settle in and nothing was repeated.

If you get here before the end of the school year 2018 which will still be yr 10 here, your daughter will have time to get her bearings and choose her electives for the exam subjects she would want to do in years 11 and 12.

Even though the academic year runs Feb to Dec, the age cut offs are roughly the same as uk, July to June. which is a bit odd. She is in the same year as my daughter who will be 15 in Dec, just before the end of yr 9. Therefore, over here, your daughter would start yr 11 Feb 2019.

Hope that makes sense!

Jen x

• Like 1

Great, that was the most stressful bit for us! We were lucky to have a cash buyer who let us stay in until after Christmas. Our container left on the Friday, we completed on the Monday and flew on the Tuesday. We checked the bank account in Abu Dhabi airport to make sure the money had gone in!

Best of luck, do you know where you're thinking of heading to yet?

We have family in Joondalup so we would head there initially but as for something more permanent we are flexible. Plan is to rent first and get a feel for different suburbs. Where abouts are you? 

It is very stressful with the house. We've just had an offer but they've not sold their house!!  We may end up like yourselves - that was very tight!!!

Emma

Just wanted to say hi! We plan to move out the start of next year. Like you, my name's Emma and my husband is Mark :) we have two boys, one in year 10 and one in year 8. We're flying out to Perth in a few weeks to do the school tour, my boys will be going into year 9 & 7. We will be moving out to live in a similar location to you guys, and like you we're just waiting for our house to sell! Had a stupid offer, but have an open day on Saturday, so I remain hopeful! So many similarities with you guys, good luck with it all.