Perth employment rate

Hi all, newbie here.   Have been to Australia twice last year and fell in love with the place.

Spent alot of time in Perth & Fremantle which then poses the obvious thought of moving. Bit of background. . .

I am male, currently 26 years old. Self employed painter & decorator from England. I have been a sole trader for 10 years currently have NVQ2 & diploma level 3. No criminal history .   

Have done the points system check and I score over 65pts. I just a have few questions about employment.  

What is the employment rate for WA for painters? I have read recently that there is a slump?

I do alot of price work where I can earn £700 - £1000 a week on commercial buildings, where as my day work rate on construction sites  is £15 an hour. Would this be possible in WA? 

Also I can't seem to find it online but is there a skills assessment for Painters?  

My girlfriend works as a claims handler for an insurance broker is there much work in this field and if so what are the wages like? She is also a qualified hairdresser. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can get an idea about jobs on seek.com.au

However, visas are the big thing at your stage. 

First, yes there is a skills assessment for painters. If you look at the skilled occupation lists on the homeaffairs web site it will show the assessing authority. It will also establish which list it is on, which in turns determines which visa (if any) you can apply for. 

With points, it is important to not over claim points as that can result in a refusal. For example, if you have calculated points for experience, you can only claim experience that is after you became qualified (level 3). So, if you have calculated your points including English, you would need to prove this by taking an English exam such as ilets. On the flip side, it is important to get as many as possible as that affects your chance of getting an invite to apply. At the moment, people are not getting invited with 65 points. 

With regard your girlfriend, if you want to include her in your application, you would need to establish she is your de facto. This is normally done by proving you have lived together for at least 12 months.

On 27/01/2019 at 07:27, verystormy said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can get an idea about jobs on seek.com.au

However, visas are the big thing at your stage. 

First, yes there is a skills assessment for painters. If you look at the skilled occupation lists on the homeaffairs web site it will show the assessing authority. It will also establish which list it is on, which in turns determines which visa (if any) you can apply for. 

With points, it is important to not over claim points as that can result in a refusal. For example, if you have calculated points for experience, you can only claim experience that is after you became qualified (level 3). So, if you have calculated your points including English, you would need to prove this by taking an English exam such as ilets. On the flip side, it is important to get as many as possible as that affects your chance of getting an invite to apply. At the moment, people are not getting invited with 65 points. 

With regard your girlfriend, if you want to include her in your application, you would need to establish she is your de facto. This is normally done by proving you have lived together for at least 12 months.

Thanks for the insight. It'll be a few years yet but always good to get an understanding

About 2 years ago I was looking at buying a business and they dealt with a middleman in between insurance companies and tradies fixing it. They were swamped with work, but it was tough work. So I can imagine they needed people. Not sure how it is right now.

A bit different than the actual claims manager at the insurance company as you don't have to assess claims. But hey happy to tive you the company's name in a private message if you want. I can't be a referral though, I can just give you the name.

I'm regards to painters.... If you want to get work as a sole trader I may be able to help you out from day 1 on one conditions; you overdeliver and want to achieve 99% customer satisfaction and you have to communicate properly. If you can do that, you are 90% ahead of tradies over here.

7 hours ago, FOL said:

About 2 years ago I was looking at buying a business and they dealt with a middleman in between insurance companies and tradies fixing it. They were swamped with work, but it was tough work. So I can imagine they needed people. Not sure how it is right now.

A bit different than the actual claims manager at the insurance company as you don't have to assess claims. But hey happy to tive you the company's name in a private message if you want. I can't be a referral though, I can just give you the name.

I'm regards to painters.... If you want to get work as a sole trader I may be able to help you out from day 1 on one conditions; you overdeliver and want to achieve 99% customer satisfaction and you have to communicate properly. If you can do that, you are 90% ahead of tradies over here.

Thanks will keep in mind. I work to a high standard and have had praise off many companies. Also always on time and only miss days off work if i'm ill, do weekend works aswell if the money is right.

Mostly do painting but are qualified in wallpapering but haven't done any since college as work hasn't required wallpaper hangers. Are you a painting contractor? 

Also I forgot to add in my last post, what does the painting assesment consist of?  Adding to my last post aswell I qualified straight after leaving college which was ten years ago, may 2009 I qualified.

Baring in mind its a long way to go before I attempt to move there, aiming for between age of 32 - 35

Are you looking to apply now or in a few years?  Things change all the time and what's relevant now for obtaining a visa may not be in later down the track.  I would say that if you're eligible now then try now.  Our friend is a painter, he is employed casually and has regular work but the downside is of course that there is no annual leave/sick pay etc.,  

On 31/01/2019 at 02:48, BlackCountryPom said:

Thanks will keep in mind. I work to a high standard and have had praise off many companies. Also always on time and only miss days off work if i'm ill, do weekend works aswell if the money is right.

Mostly do painting but are qualified in wallpapering but haven't done any since college as work hasn't required wallpaper hangers. Are you a painting contractor? 

Also I forgot to add in my last post, what does the painting assesment consist of?  Adding to my last post aswell I qualified straight after leaving college which was ten years ago, may 2009 I qualified.

Baring in mind its a long way to go before I attempt to move there, aiming for between age of 32 - 35

Just a serial entrepreneur and marketing guy. I don't get how tradies lack work. I've helped quite a few last few months and they got new prospects weekly. Simply by having us advertise for them. But there is so much more to do (but they are usually not ready for it :-))

• 4 weeks later...

Not too sure how to work this out, and as you’ve been there a few years thought you’d might shed some light on it.

This is the average painter tradesmen salary at $1k a week. How much tax would I pay on a $52k a year salary?

As the current rates are $37,001 – $90,000 $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over. With the tax rate set at 9.65 – 23.11%. Plus the 2% medicare.

Also, any updates on current employment rates? WA was bottom last time I looked, and work was hard to come by. is this still the case? Would I be better off living and working in Sydney for example? 

19 hours ago, BlackCountryPom said:

Not too sure how to work this out, and as you’ve been there a few years thought you’d might shed some light on it.

This is the average painter tradesmen salary at $1k a week. How much tax would I pay on a $52k a year salary?

As the current rates are $37,001 – $90,000 $3,572 plus 32.5c for each $1 over. With the tax rate set at 9.65 – 23.11%. Plus the 2% medicare.

Also, any updates on current employment rates? WA was bottom last time I looked, and work was hard to come by. is this still the case? Would I be better off living and working in Sydney for example? 

https://www.paycalculator.com.au/