Typical Rental Periods

Uturn

Hi. I am hoping that folks with experience of renting in Perth are able to help me with some information. We are looking at moving to Perth in January 2020 (family of 4.) I am trying to work out how to handle renting a property when we first arrive. We are having our house goods and furniture shipped, which will take between 10 to 12 weeks. So I guess we need to initially rent a furnished place for that period, but do landlords on sites like Domain generally let their properties for that short a period?

Also, how do people usually handle it when their goods arrive? Do folks usually rent a furnished place until their goods arrive, and have them delivered there. Then move to an unfurnished rental and have their goods moved again?

Appreciate this may be a daft set of questions. I'm just trying to work out how I minimise cost while at the same time ensuring we have roof over our head and land up in a good catchment area for schools.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Furnished rentals are fairly thin on the ground in Oz, it isn't like the UK. Most will be there for short stay / holiday type lets. As a result, there usually expensive compared to longer leases. 

Generally, people moving over will rent one of these for a month or so while they find a normal unfurnished rental. In the mean time, people will buy some cheap basics to get through the gap between moving into a unfurnished place and their own things arriving. For example, IKEA do a kitchen starter pack which has pretty much everything you need for a very small amount of money. 

It will be the school summer holidays in January, so that will help with the kids schools, but yes, it should be fine to register them while in short term accommodation 

2 hours ago, Uturn said:

Thanks verystormy, appreciate the information. Its all very nerve wrecking. But that makes sense, and I guess I thought that's how it would have to work, just wasn't sure if I was missing a trick somehow. 

Some schools may require to see a lease agreement especially if it's a really popular school.  This is to avoid people taking short term rentals and enrolling in the school and moving out of catchment.  It will be advisable to enroll once you're out of the holiday accommodation.

5 hours ago, Uturn said:

I’m just going off of a Google search. If it only takes 6 weeks then that’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speak to your moving company and hear what they say. We scheduled it in such a way we wanted to have our sruff 4 weeks after landing in Perth. They said 6 weeks (if I recall correctly! Including clearance at the border). So we shipped it 2 weeks before we left 

18 hours ago, FOL said:

It takes 10-12 weeks to ship?! Only took us 6 weeks (the 3 times we've done it)

If I may ask, why have you moved 3 times? My wife says that if we don't like it there or it doesn't work out with jobs then we can just move back. I'm loathe to go down that path as I'm not sure I could afford to move back; and i suspect that if we do I will only want to move back a few years later. Just interested to know if the 3 moves you had were down to lack of work, missing family, or something else? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Uturn said:

If I may ask, why have you moved 3 times? My wife says that if we don't like it there or it doesn't work out with jobs then we can just move back. I'm loathe to go down that path as I'm not sure I could afford to move back; and i suspect that if we do I will only want to move back a few years later. Just interested to know if the 3 moves you had were down to lack of work, missing family, or something else? Thanks.

I was having some personal problems resulting in not being able to settle anywhere. Had to come in peace with myself so to speak.

Costly? Oh yes...

Did we hurt family and old friends by leaving again? Oh yes...

Still a good decision? I think so, I needed those two moves to get everything straight. But for my wife it would have been better if we didn't. So it depends on the person I guess.

Really sorry to hear that FOL, I didn’t mean to pry. I can imagine moving so many times really taking its toll on a person (and their bank balance.)

Since we decided last week that we are making the move, I have had a constant feeling of anxiety, to the point that I’m not hungry and feel quite sick at times. It’s such an emotional rollercoaster. It’s really odd, as I’ve wanted to move for so long and now I’m secretly hoping that my wife will day at some stage that she’s changed her mind and we should just stay in the UK.

25 minutes ago, Uturn said:

Really sorry to hear that FOL, I didn’t mean to pry. I can imagine moving so many times really taking its toll on a person (and their bank balance.)

Since we decided last week that we are making the move, I have had a constant feeling of anxiety, to the point that I’m not hungry and feel quite sick at times. It’s such an emotional rollercoaster. It’s really odd, as I’ve wanted to move for so long and now I’m secretly hoping that my wife will day at some stage that she’s changed her mind and we should just stay in the UK.

I think if you're hoping your wife changes her mind it might be good to re-think your decision to move and have another chat if it's what you really want to do.

• Like 1

When I analyse my fears / concerns I think it primarily comes down to worry that I won’t find suitable work when we get there. In every other way I just can’t wait. It’s the fear of leaving stable and financial sounds jobs in the UK and moving to a location where from what I can tell there isn’t a great deal of IT management roles. I know we could consider another state, but Perth is really where we want to be.