Young Family in UK

Joe Milo

Ayup/how's it going?'

Im looking for info on visa requirements. I'm 28, wife's 25, 2 young kids (18months and 3months). We are desperate to get out of the UK. My preferred destination is Perth or just WA in general. 5 years ago I spent a year in WA living with family and travelling/working on the WHV. I was based south of the river 10 mins from Freo. My uncle and auntie are Australian citizens. We aren't sure if there's a way they can sponsor me to come out and live there - if anyone could clear that up for me I would appreciate it as I can't find much info online without sieving through a load of dead end shxte. 

Im exploring all options and currently trying to decide what career path to take here in the U.K. One that will come under the skilled jobs list and hopefully pretty high up on the wanted down under list. At the moment I'm swaying towards electrical installation/engineering. We have a 5 year goal to get out there. Any advice on what you think may be sort after jobs in the next few years. Also if anyone knows any professions with a short training time/quickest qualifications or has any tips in general on a quick way in starting from scratch? 

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Having family here doesn't mean much these days i'm afraid, your first thing will be to see if your (or your wifes) occupations are on any on the skilled lists and if they are to see which body does the skills assessment.  You will need a mixture of qualifications and experience (the assessing authority will set out what those are).

Unfortunately, the lists change all the time and even things like nursing have been identified as 'under review' and potentially could come off the lists (unheard of a few years ago), so my advice would be if choosing a different career path, to choose something that you'd be happy doing even if you don't get to move to Australia.

Hey,

Thank you for your response. As it stands neither mine or my wife's are on the skilled occupation list. I'm intrigued to know where to look for information regarding skilled jobs that are currently in demand. I often find a league table/ladder of sorts but I don't know if what I'm looking at is official.

I agree that I need to take a career path that I will enjoy and that will benefit me and my family regardless of whether it gets us into Aus or not. 

Also, what kind of costs are we looking at for the application process if we go down the skilled visa route? With agency? Without agency? I hear it's an expensive process and I should probably start saving for it now.

i wish I could shake the 24 year old me and say start getting your qualifications now you dope and you'll be back there before you're 30! - but I might not have met my wife and had my kids so I guess everything happens for a reason. I was so depressed about coming back to the UK that I blocked AUS out of my mind until now.

I want this so badly. I look at my kids every day and I want it for them. My family moved out in 2003 and I've seen first hand what kind of a life my cousins have as a result. 

• Like 1

The official list for occupations are at homeaffairs.gov.au however, there is no ranking. Any of them could disappear tomorrow. In order to qualify, you are generally looking at obtaining the relevant qualification and then about three years post qualification experience. By which time, the occupation lists and probably the entire system will probably not resemble today's. 

As for costs,  again, difficult to say, as visa costs increase annually. At the moment, if you were applying now, I would say a total budget of about 30k would be about right to cover visas and making the move. 

One word of caution. Your life doesn't suddenly get better by moving to Oz, or anywhere else for that matter. Nor is it magically better for children. It has pluses and negatives. Hence why about half of those who go, return to the UK.

Thanks so much for the info, at least I know where to look now when the day comes!

with regards to the 30k figure.. that's a bit of an eye opener but I guess the motto for us is save save save from here on. We are pretty good with money anyway but we are looking at saving 6k a year at least to fund a move. Good to know. 

Your last statement is one I truly do appreciate. My uncle has told me the same thing. Same shxt different country. Some things I experienced for myself over there were not as I imagined. Being English and finding work. The amount of fines you're likely to pick up! Hidden speed cameras. Slow roads. Laws on open beers in public etc. Pubs being overly strict (in comparison to U.K.) I also seen some of the disturbing side of the drug culture and young kids, which I would have to go out of my way to shelter my own kids from.

For me, I feel like the UK makes me very unhappy. British media are fear this fear that, doom here gloom there. I live in a small town where nothing changes. The sky is grey, the winters are cold. I'm nesh as anything. During my winter in Aus I was wearing 2 pairs of trackies in June/July when it was 16 degrees and at Christmas I'd wear pyjamas to bed. My English friends couldn't believe that. I feel an attachment to Aus as a country, the beautiful scenes, the wildlife, the sunshine. I know to some it may sound cliche but I genuinely feel happier in the sun and the heat never bothered me - in fact I thrived in it. If my life was no better off than in the UK then that would be fine for me as I know Aus will always give me the weather. Leaving family is not something that would be an issue for me at all. If anything I've felt homesick since leaving.

Can you not go on a working visa ? aren't these available to get if your'e under 30 ? always thought 30 was the cut off ?  Then try and get sponsorship whilst out there ??? I imagine that its pretty hard at the moment anyway ( trying to get a flights hard enough lol )

Good luck ............. Oh and as for Aussie TV it aint that much better lol !

Hey, thanks for getting in touch. I've already been over on the working visa I'm afraid... and so has the wife! Shame as I feel like I wasted my opportunity.

lol I remember how bad Aussie telly was - think I even seen an advert for eggs!? Just telling people to eat eggs 😂

Im also open to the 'new zealand' way in if anyone has any useful info on the details of that it would be something I'd consider 

• Like 1

They would do anything for me bless em, both my auntie and uncle (nurse and bricklayer) have said they would sponsor me if that was a possibility but they don't think it is.

I will do whatever it takes to get back where I belong. If it takes me years then so be it. Like you say where there's a will there's a way. 

Thanks again for chatting to me

same as us Nurse and Bricklayer 😀 ...... But  alot of really helpful folk on here , and if you do not want to ask on forum - simply send a direct message .

But as @verystormy said , sometimes moving to the other side of the world may not be the answer ? for example if youre in the midlands - try the coast , Cornwall etc ..... slower pace of life .

but yep genuinely all the best to you guys 

@pegg thank you again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help advise me. Yes we have considered moving away from our home town in Cheshire. And it's something we may well do during the next couple of years. 

@ali unfortunately not. I'm currently a window cleaner. I was a photographer for a car dealer pre covid but they made cuts. I've got an amazing resume.. but not one thing on there would help with a visa application.

im looking into electrical installation although I've had the worst start ever as I looked at a training course and almost ran into a scam. I gave them some personal details but I don't think I gave enough to lose any money. Bank and authorities have been informed so I need to try and move on from it now.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of studying electrical installation. Eventually could lead to installing solar panels, electric car chargers etc.. the future is heading in that direction and I'm sure global demand will increase. My partner is a stay at home Mum at the moment but maybe she would be better at something like hairdressing/barboring.. saying that she'd probably make a better electrician than me as well 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/02/2021 at 20:48, pegg said:

Can you not go on a working visa ? aren't these available to get if your'e under 30 ?

Not with kids.

Getting a visa is the biggest initial hurdle. You can get a qualification in the UK. Takes a few years, then you need some years experience. Before you know it you're 5 - 8 years down the track and the job may not be on the list any more. So I wouldn't do that JUST to get to AU. And do you really want to wait for so many years? 

You mentioned new zealand... and you mentioned you hate cold...are you sure that adds up?

I agree, I'm going for a qualification that will benefit me and my family regardless of whether it's on the list when the time comes. Truth be told I don't want to wait for that many years but what other choice do I have if I want to get to Aus?

with regards to New Zealand, I could deal with the cold there knowing it had a means to an end but after some time thinking I don't think it's very practical or fair to move the kids twice in such a short space of time as well as put me and my partner through the move/visas twice. 

My quickest route in is through a skilled visa which like you say I'm looking at 5-8 years IF my profession is on the list at that point. In 5 years I will be 33. My auntie and uncle moved out at 37 with four kids (aged 12years to 18 months). The idea of a move isn't going to just evaporate for me. Australia is where my heart is. Believe me I have tried to forget it for the past four years. Before I even seen it for myself I was obsessed with the place, after living there for a year it felt more like home to me than my own town. It took a good 8-10 months to come out of a depression when I had to return to the uk (2months of which I was still in Aus when I knew I my time was running out)