North or South - how do we choose?

Jo1977

Hi everyone! We are coming to Perth in August for 1 year. My partner has a job in the CBD..we are having trouble deciding where to live as we have never been there. Done lots of research but how do you choose? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :-)

Your best bet is to look at the train lines that go north and south, and then have to work out how long you want to travel for and then see what areas on the train line have the most affordable housing.

Then, when you decide what area's tick all the boxes, ask on here what that area is like and read the responses!

• 2 weeks later...

the northern suburbs are really nice, southern are more industrialised. In regards to Train routes that is a good thing to think about. I stopped in Greenwood and could walk to the train station from where I was staying.

The train line runs straight down the middle of mitchell highway from Joondalup to Perth CBD and has stops at just about every road that crosses the highway. They are very regular as well every 15 mins.

I live in Madeley which is right next to Wanneroo road, this is the other main road that runs from Joondalup to Perth CBD and they have many buses that run down this road. Try going on the Transperth website I think that has all the info on the train and buses.

• 3 months later...

hi there becs - just got visas and hoping to move next year

after countless research the area of madeley is really appealing to me for numerous reasons - house price etc and distance to perth. whats it like - how long you been there and any idea what madeley primary school like = any info gladly apprecitated.

regards andrea

I live in the city of Melville SOR, am happy living here and will prob stay here unless work commitments change. Have to admit because the move came about quickly didnt do much suburb research, just went for something close to OH's work but i too have to admit that i think of NOR as being "prettier" and less industrial, cant put my finger on why though. Its not like im surrounded by industrial estates or anything like that, in fact only a few mins from the river and Walter Point which is lovely. Some of NOR especially the newer bits are a little i feel too clean n green though that they come across as false. More brits NOR too, ive yet to hear a british accent in my local supermarkets but if i pop in one there its just like being back in Asda/Tesco!! Maybe if it wasnt for needing to get to the beach quickly after work to walk the dogs (well it is their fav walk) i think i would like to try living up Kalamunda way, it ticks most of my boxes and feels a proper escape from the city

We've also in the Melville Shire and live in Leeming, which is classed SOR but really only about 10 mins on the train into the City. I love our location for being near to the City, Freo and the river plus an easily commutable distance to most places. I think when people say Industrial we think of factories and massive areas - as Jackboots said these are spread out, Canningvale has some industrial areas yet is also one of the most popular residental areas too.