Busselton / Dunsborough / Margaret River / Denmark / Albany - 5 days so much to see!

SaffanZimbo

We fly 2 weeks today and I'm trying to get as much research in as possible so that we can maximise our time on the ground whilst in WA. We have 3 weeks in WA, with weeks 1 and 3 being based with friends in the eastern suburbs of Perth.

We then have 2 nights rental booked in Dunsborough and 2 nights in Albany for week 2. L

uckily OH loves to drive and our lovely friends in Perth are lending us a car for our 3 week visit.

It is realistic for us to fit in the following during our 5 days

Busselton - Pier / Observatory / Train (Day 1)

Dunsborough - lighthouse, animal farm, beach (Day 2)

Margaret River - caves, nougat factory or fudge factory (1/2 day 3 and then coastal drive to Albany)

Walpole - Tree Top Walk / Valley of the Giants (day 4)

Albany - beach / coastal drive (1/2 day 5 then inland drive back up to Perth)

We have a 3.5 and 6 year old with us.... am I being a bit OCD about fitting to much in.

We are on holiday (and to validate our visas!) but if OH decides Oz is not for him after the trip I want to have covered as much as possible......:wacko:

We fly 2 weeks today and I'm trying to get as much research in as possible so that we can maximise our time on the ground whilst in WA. We have 3 weeks in WA, with weeks 1 and 3 being based with friends in the eastern suburbs of Perth.

We then have 2 nights rental booked in Dunsborough and 2 nights in Albany for week 2. L

uckily OH loves to drive and our lovely friends in Perth are lending us a car for our 3 week visit.

Margaret River - caves, nougat factory or fudge factory (1/2 day 3 and then coastal drive to Albany)

We have a 3.5 and 6 year old with us.... am I being a bit OCD about fitting to much in.

We are on holiday (and to validate our visas!) but if OH decides Oz is not for him after the trip I want to have covered as much as possible......:wacko:

Sounds like a hectic trip lol! As Ali says, yes it's possible! Enjoy! Haven't done south much in the five years we've been here! Let us know how you go? Post some pics if poss!

Its definintely all possible.

Only one I haven't done is Dunsborough, so you will have to let us know what its like.

6years back wasn't that impressed with Bussleton, but I think they have done alot to it since.

Key to loving it is living in or around Perth, Mandurah area which are absolutely brilliant(or any where along the coast, Margret River being the exception.

Any where else is second best, but hey ho we will eventually get there.:smile:

Enjoy your hols.

Take a portable DVD player with some dvd's for the littles .. if your are like mine they won't be looking at the scenery and saying ooh and ahh .. more like I'm bored are we there yet ?! Enjoy .. love Margeret river :)

DVD player added to the list to pack. Thanks to everyone for their insights. Really getting excited now.

Sitting gazing out the window as the rain pours down..... hoping to get lots of sunny and rain free days during our visit downunder!:biggrin:

You might get some rain, further South is often a little cooler, do bring a jacket or jumper for evenings in case the temperature drops

90% packed as we have a full on weekend of birthday parties next weekend.... I've added a few jumpers just in case (and also added raincoats in the hope it will ward off any signs of precipitation)!:jiggy:

SaffanZimbo - yes you can fit that all in, but be aware it will be rushed.

The journey from Margaret River to Albany will take you a good 5 hours, and the road is through the forests and not a lot of it is on the coast, but the scenery is wonderful.

As you want to do the Tree Top Walk, suggest that you stay the night close to it and do this in the morning before driving into Albany. Otherwise you will be backtracking from Albany to Walpole with a 90 min each way drive. Also worth a look round Denmark, on the road between Walpole and Albany.

Be aware that the further south you go, the chillier it will get. Once you leave Margaret River and head towards Walpole, Denmark, Albany, it will be much cooler, especially at night, so pack warm tops and waterproof jackets as it rains more down there than in Perth.

Good Luck with all the driving - you are going to be covering quite a lot of kilometres in 5 days. Oh and keep your dipped headlights on whilst driving out of the metro area - you will find that a lot of drivers do that in the country as it makes you much more visible to oncoming traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

Albany was the first place I visited outside of Perth and fell in love with it would move there if it was my choice but too cold for Aussie other half :( , Recommend a visit to the whaling station , then the blow holes in Torndirrup national park for the scenery, also a nice detour there or on the way back is the Stirling Range National park (apparently one of the very few places in WA to get snow and people travelled down from Perth just to see it in the 70's )

View from the Dunsborough lighthouse amazing, went about 4 years ago just after they they had a massive bush fire around there and revisited this year transformation is unreal

It's a long drive but I'm sure you will enjoy it, agree with others kids may need to be entertained on journey they will soon get bored of trying to spot a roo in the bush, although one or two at the sides of the roads :(

Edited by rover1875

• 3 weeks later...

SaffanZimbo,

You should work for WA tourist office. I am planning a reci trip for June and your post got me thinking about things to do outside of Perth. Had a look at some of your suggestions and they sound great. I have older kids but would definately appreciate an update when you get back as to what was worth a visit etc. thanks for all the great ideas, I hope you guys really enjoy your trip.

Ozy