What do you do now?

Guest guest9824

Guest guest9824

Just wondering what jobs/skills/occupations you came to Australia to work in and how many of you are doing that job/skill/occupation.

What are the reasons for you maybe not doing what your visa application suggested you would be doing?

If you do do something different do you prefer it or not?

Do you think that the Immigration authorities need to change their ways ie. make sure that skilled workers that they say Australia needs are helped more when they get here to secure the skilled job they potentially signed up for.

i personally think it would be a good 'heads up' to everyone thinking of coming to Australia to hear from people who aren't doing what they set out to do as a profession.

I would imagine as Perth is the Project Manager capital that a lot of people have changed and are working on one of the many projects that are here in Perth at the moment.

As Rossf would say, answers on a postcard please.....

pea

Been in mental health nursing for 30 years, it's what I did before and what I did now.

I think there has to be a better way of DIAIC knowing where the shortages for skilled workers lie as it doesn't seem accurate if people can't get jobs to do them.

My 'core' business is learning & development with a strong focus in learning technologies. I've done it for the last 12 years and at 42 I'm trying to work out what I'm going to do for a living. In the past I've been an aircraft mechanic, pig farmer, set designer and my degree was in furniture design so dramatic changes in career don't really phase me.

Here I can do what I want and I'm lucky that I have a range of skills. Predictably I've fallen into a project management role but who knows what's next, I've always wanted to build tree houses and I'd love to write. Who knows...

Came as an ED nurse, still an ED nurse.

One thing I do feel a bit bad about, we'll not so much bad, but it makes me think.. I work a very small amount of hours here as a nurse, so not really helped the skilled migration much, and my husband has a full time as a telecom operations manager, but really we could have gained the visa on either set of skills.