Perth two and a half weeks in...

Wendy

Well we've been here for two and half weeks and loving it! We know there are ups and downs to come but this is what we have found so far:

Home...

Well we booked into a B&B in Wembley downs for a week. The lady who owns it moved over in '87 (not that we knew that at the time) but was lovely and was more like a house share than a B&B (PM me if you want the details). A day after landing we went into the city to get a post box so that we could register for TFNs etc and were sent to the only place where they had some available in at East Perth. On the walk there we walked past a couple of real estate place and knowing we didn't have our Rental Packs that we'd set up with us on the advice of people on this forum we thought we'd just pop in to inquire on the way back from the Aus Post. So we did...they had a pace to show us there and then in the city...so we went, loved it and went back to the agency to put a deposit down. We moved in the day we were due to leave the B&B! We know this is rare so we know we are lucky but the rental people were great! We only wanted three months in the city to arrange jobs etc in fully furnished before moving out to the suburbs and were told it would likely be 6 month lease but they would ask and the owner accepted it! Fab! One major thing off the list and all the rental packs we have will be saved for the next search in a couple of months but we can add this reference to it!

Love being in the city but know we want to be closer to the beach eventually. Although sitting on your balcony and watching the dolphins in the river certainly does have it's charm! :biggrin:

Jobs....

I joined a temping agency last Monday and had a placement from last Wednesday for 3 days. I have an interview for a job tomorrow and two agencies to meet in the afternoon for temp work with a view to gain permanent jobs. Other half has realised that his job at home was quite niche so will need to spread his search. We've also learnt that it's very laid back over here. You have to chase and chase for jobs there are lots out there but lots of people looking for them. However, I'm still staying positive. We been here less than three weeks after all and I've already had a bit of temp work although at a bit of a lower level than I'm used to. However you know what they say if everything was easy nothing would be worth it. And WA experience means a lot to future employers so hopefully a few things will trickle in and we'll find jobs!

Life...

I said that things are very laid back over here. This could be positive or negative depends on how you look at it. I'm choosing positive right now as I've been working in London with a two hour commute each way for 6 years. Over here 45 mins is a long commute. People wait for the green man at crossings here..even when there's no traffic! At first I was incredulous now I'm trying to calm down a bit, life doesn't have to be such of a rush it's nice to stop for a few minutes and take stock!

We've spent so much more time outdoors since being here at National Parks and the beach etc. I don't think I'll ever get used to having parrots in the trees and roos in the fields. Amazing. I went with my other half for a wander at the golf club whilst he played 18 holes as it's a national park too. There were galahs and parrots on the greens. Beautiful. He's joined a golf society there already which is great as he's looking for work so hasn't had any other male company since getting here. This also means I've got Saturdays largely to myself so he dropped me in Subi (everywhere and everything is shortened - a glass of orango juice anyone - seriously) yesterday morning. Farmers market is amazing, farmer jacks is fab - I love the food scene in London and was worried I wouldn't find it here. God knows what I was worried about there was no need. And the station markets is the place to go for fruit and veg, oh and lychee snow cones. Addicted. The fruit and veg is fab, cheaper than supermarkets and makes you feel like more of a community. Off I wandered after this thinking I'd get the train back to the city but then realised I had all day to do what I wanted so why rush back? So I walked home via King's Park where i sat with my watermelon and the paper overlooking the city. Fab! So whilst I haven't got a permanent job and nor has my other half these things make us realise it's worth fighting for and accepting we'll probably have to go in to the workplace at a lower level than we're used to but our home experience will hopefully help us work up quickly. The fast food is KFC, Hungry Jacks (Burger King) and Maccas if you want it but why would you when for the same price you can get teryaki chicken and rice or noodles etc. We're still learning the places to go and there are tonnes in the city. I'll stop wittering on about food now although it's my passion.

TFN, Medicare, drivers licence

We registered online for medicare the day we got our PO Box address. Haven't arrived yet. We went into the city with our passports etc (tip carry these on you at practically all times for the first few weeks you never know when you might need them), filled in the forms, had them processed and got the auto print outs but are awaiting the cards. You can't get get medicare without your passport and you can't get your driving licence changed without Medicare evidence so the little print outs are handy in the interim.

Phones...

Beware, if your phone is unlocked and you're thinking of bringing it here make sure it is unlocked for worldwide usage as ours weren't. Also if you're on T-Mobile or Orange make sure this is done in the UK or you'll have a nightmare doing it in Oz. Only they can unlock iPhones - no one and I mean no one else can do it for these networks. I bought mine off a friend so he sorted it for me but in the interim we had a dual sim little nokia that was fab. $50 but will be handy to have when friends come to stay.

We haven't tried to get contracts but I'm dreading it although by then we should have a credit rating etc. We bought post paid (pay as you go) sims for phones but you get better if you get a pay as you go prepaid sim as you get more for the same money. We got the sims the day after we arrived but we were told we couldn't get the pre paid ones without a confirmed address - PO Box not allowed and evidence of medicare. We had this by the time we wanted a dongle for our new apartment. (Luckily the B&B had wifi) So we went with our passports, a copy of our lease agreement,a copy of our medicare and a copy of our bank statement. They have to do a credit check - even for pay as you go mad I know. But it was referred as we have no credit history. All you have to prove was that you have at least $1000 in your account which we did. So we left all that info with them - no other choice and it still wasn't accepted as the bank statement wasn't stamped...???!!! Bejesus. So this is what you need to get a prepaid sim pay as you go - a stamped bank statement of an account with at least $1000 dollars in it, evidence of your home address, passports and medicare. God knows what they'll want for a contract...blood???!!!

Banks...

We registered with a bank before we left and transferred our money which worried my other half immensely as you can't log in to internet banking until you'bve activated your account when you arrive. We arranged an appt two weeks before we arrived. All sorted.

Advice.....

The only advice I have for these first few weeks other that what I've learnt from above is...make sure you get your Visa put into your passport. So many people have asked to see it. Even job agencies! We're lucky we're here on PR visas as a lot of agencies haven't wanted to talk to us until we specified and later proved this - also put it on your CV makes a huge difference. For things like changing your driving licence they can get confirmation within 48 hpurs vby fax but why bother when it can all be done and evident in your passport before you leave?

So we're still very new, have loads to learn and more ups and downs to experience. Fingers crossed for the job front although I was secretly loving being able to say I was the main breadwinner for three days but felt bad for my other half when I was telling him about how companies apparently generally provide all tea and coffee - real coffee not instant at work. My place even had a bar and provided drinks for everyone on a Friday afternoon and pastries every morning!!!! I worked in London - everyone wrote their name on their own milk; someone even drew a line after each use to make sure no one was stealing their milk!!!

Shopping...

Last thing about food, I think I've written enough for now. I bought a whole fillet of beef today for $36 in farmer jacks..... OMG. Came home, trimmed it and cut it into ten steaks and the thin end saved for a stirfry. All in individual bags in the freezer. It is expensive here and make sure you bring as many vest tops, flip flops and clothes as you can. It's expensive here. But we're still living off the English pound and you can get a good deal on some things particularly if you search for it and follow the community you're in.

(PS we were allowed 20kg each on the way here with Singapore airlines. I had 27kgs, my other half had 32 (he's a big girl) and his babies - also known as his golf clubs. No one even blinked. But the visa stamp may also have helped???)

I'll update again when we hopefully have more news. Hope this helps. There are struggles but it's worth it and I know we're new but like I said I don't think I'll ever take the parrots for granted, the amazing sea, the beautiful national parks - oh and BTW the golf course which was gorgeous is public and owned by the local council...a different ballpark out here and cheaper than home. When it comes to money it's swings and roundabouts I think. And the beach is always free. Tell me the thought of standing in the Indian Ocean doesn't amaze you! Haha! PS No spiders yet!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learning new things every day with informative posts like this! Keep em coming!

Wendy, I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear about the farmers markets in and around Perth...total foodie and wasn't sure there would be much of a scene in WA but there you go! :wink:

we're still living off the English pound and you can get a good deal on some things particularly if you search for it and follow the community you're in.

It's natural to keep doing the conversion when you first arrive but doing so means everything is terrifyingly expensive. You'll stop as soon as you start earning $ and you'll see that some things are cheap.

Nice post, brings back memories. There are a few farmers markets around and if you're a foodie you'll love it. When you get further afield you'll find some real gems - the Good Fortune Roast Duck House on William St, the Fremantle Doctor bottle shop in Freo (some amazing boutique beers and wines), the odd little hardware store on Palmerston that does amazing Vietnamese vege wraps, Avo picking in Margaret River, a pie and a glass of stunning Chardonnay at the Ugly Duckling winery in the Swan Valley, a gourmet hot dog at my mate's place - Run Amuk, on South Terrace, Freo, a roast chicken from Princi's Italian Deli in Beaconsfield, a Long Macc and a slice of banana bread at the Uber cool Ootong & Lincoln, Freo.

One of my favourite things to do in London was cycling with my son to Borough market on a Saturday morning. We'd leave super early and get there for breakfast, have a ride around the city and be back for a coffee from the Monmouth St coffee place by 11. I think rituals are important and it's something we've continued here only we're now spoilt for choice - there are so many epic rides that begin and end with food :biggrin:

Re waiting for the Green Man - I thought that was odd too, until I started speaking to people about it, apparently the big Co's (Rio & BHP for one) have policies which say you can't cross the road anywhere other than a crossing and it has to be on green otherwise you start getting written warnings and the sack!

I thought 'how stupid, how would they ever know?!' - until I started to cross the road and my friend (works for Rio) stayed behind and said she couldn't cross yet! They take it seriously!

Its also against the law to "jay walk" as it's called here and in the USA. Years ago I crossed on a red light and a police officer stopped me and told me I was breaking the law. He let me off with a caution ( as you can be fined for this) when I told him I was a tourist.

Guest guest9824
Re waiting for the Green Man - I thought that was odd too, until I started speaking to people about it, apparently the big Co's (Rio & BHP for one) have policies which say you can't cross the road anywhere other than a crossing and it has to be on green otherwise you start getting written warnings and the sack! I thought 'how stupid, how would they ever know?!' - until I started to cross the road and my friend (works for Rio) stayed behind and said she couldn't cross yet! They take it seriously!

Also Nicolac they do random drug and alcohol tests for everyone, be it if you are working in the field or sat atyour desk in the city, no more long lunches here if you work in the oil, gas or mining field...and they take the drug and alcohol testing very very seriously too. Waiting for the green man seems a little bit OTT....

pea

To quote various Office of Road Safety documents;

"

When entering a road from a car park, private property or a similar area, drivers must give way to any pedestrians on the road they are entering, or those on the footpath or nature strip the driver must cross to enter the road.When entering areas like these from a road, drivers must also give way to pedestrians.

At intersections, drivers must give way to any pedestrians at or near the road they are turning into. Drivers turning left and using a slip lane must always give way to pedestrians crossing the slip lane."

Basically, pedestrians have right of way a lot of the time. If in doubt, give way. I think that's mainly why people wait for the Green Man. If you cross under a red and get hit you haven't a leg to stand on (ha ha!).

Did you know it's also illegal to drive with your arm out the window? It's also illegal to drive open wheeled vehicles on the road or have tyres that extend out beyond the limit of the arches. It's illegal to cycle without a helmet, it's illegal to walk against the flow of traffic, even if you are on a footpath and it's illegal not to vote.

I believe it's also illegal to come within 100 metres of a whale carcass (which state I don't know). I also remember reading something about the laws against witchcraft but they can't be true because Margaret Thatcher visited Australia half a dozen times.

To quote various Office of Road Safety documents;

"

When entering a road from a car park, private property or a similar area, drivers must give way to any pedestrians on the road they are entering, or those on the footpath or nature strip the driver must cross to enter the road.When entering areas like these from a road, drivers must also give way to pedestrians.

At intersections, drivers must give way to any pedestrians at or near the road they are turning into. Drivers turning left and using a slip lane must always give way to pedestrians crossing the slip lane."

Basically, pedestrians have right of way a lot of the time. If in doubt, give way. I think that's mainly why people wait for the Green Man. If you cross under a red and get hit you haven't a leg to stand on (ha ha!).

Did you know it's also illegal to drive with your arm out the window? It's also illegal to drive open wheeled vehicles on the road or have tyres that extend out beyond the limit of the arches. It's illegal to cycle without a helmet, it's illegal to walk against the flow of traffic, even if you are on a footpath and it's illegal not to vote.

I believe it's also illegal to come within 100 metres of a whale carcass (which state I don't know). I also remember reading something about the laws against witchcraft but they can't be true because Margaret Thatcher visited Australia half a dozen times.

What?! Well I wouldn't trust anyone here to give way to me whilst I crossed the road at an intersection - even when the green man is on they are still trying to run you down...walking against the flow of traffic even on a footpath?! That's a random one - although good luck finding a footpath in the 'burbs.

Couple of other things I found out (thanks to various tickets) is that it's illegal to park against the flow of traffic (so on the opposite side of the road) and it's also illegal to do a U-Turn at traffic lights - got 3 points and $100 fine for that one!!

That's a random one - although good luck finding a footpath in the 'burbs.

Aww really, do most of the suburbs not have pavements? I was hoping to live somewhere where you could leave the house (with a buggy) and walk to the shops...am I dreaming?

Lots of random illegal stuff...I take nobody tells you this stuff. Just wait until you get a ticket from it and learn quickly...:wacko:

Hi All,

thank you for your messages and replies! And loved the info about rules etc! Well I've got an 8 week placement starting on Monday so that's me sorted for a bit and will give me good WA experience - something jobs love to ask for! So fingers crossed that all goes well and now the other half just needs to find one! There's quite a bit of temp work about luckily so it's a bit easier for me!

Being here for Anzac day was amazing. I didn't go to the morning ceremony but definitely will next year. We went down to the service at the Supreme Court Gardens though and felt lovely to be part of something so special.

Will keep you posted on things a few more weeks in!

PS If you're reading this from the UK and are waiting to come over make the most of chocolate. I've only Dairy Milk here and they have more choice as to the things they put in it - cashews etc so was quite excited. Until I tasted it! No matter how long you keep it in your mouth it doesn't melt. When you bite into it it crumbles. Enough said. Make the most of every square, I knew I'd find something soon to be jealous of back in the UK haha!

Guest sarahmichelle

Hi my name is Sarah & I'm in Perth at the moment for 3 weeks visiting family I really would like to emigrate and was looking for advice. I have been qualified since 1996 in Hairdressing, Beauty & make-up, I've worked in various salons, freelance & also taught Beauty in college...I know visa's are changing & wondered if I still had any chance of being accepted? and is it still easy to find a sponsor?? Kindest Wishes Sarah x

Hi All,

thank you for your messages and replies! And loved the info about rules etc! Well I've got an 8 week placement starting on Monday so that's me sorted for a bit and will give me good WA experience - something jobs love to ask for! So fingers crossed that all goes well and now the other half just needs to find one! There's quite a bit of temp work about luckily so it's a bit easier for me!

Being here for Anzac day was amazing. I didn't go to the morning ceremony but definitely will next year. We went down to the service at the Supreme Court Gardens though and felt lovely to be part of something so special.

Will keep you posted on things a few more weeks in!

PS If you're reading this from the UK and are waiting to come over make the most of chocolate. I've only Dairy Milk here and they have more choice as to the things they put in it - cashews etc so was quite excited. Until I tasted it! No matter how long you keep it in your mouth it doesn't melt. When you bite into it it crumbles. Enough said. Make the most of every square, I knew I'd find something soon to be jealous of back in the UK haha!

Chocolate is on my list of things to take over in the suitcase:jiggy:

When we lived there before, we missed Cadburys, bacon and sausages and it seems things have not changed.

Good Luck with your new job.

Omg! Can't live without chocolate. It's the whole reason why I can't lose weight! My gran worked at Cadburys and brought home bags of the stuff when I was a kid. What do I do now??? Withdraw my visa application???!!!???

Lol! I don't think you need to go that far! There are in fact quite a few shops dotted around the place that sell english cadburys, there are two that I know of in the City, the Lolly Shop in Carillion and another British Sweet Shop in London Court. I bought all my Cadburys easter eggs and chocolate from there for Easter. More expensive yes, but so worth it when my husband loves the stuff!